transitioning from relaxed to natural with grey hair

cerisenoirecerisenoire Posts: 16Registered Users
Hi ladies!

I received great advice to try this forum to seek help for my mom. She's been transitioning for about a year with mostly grey hair and is having a difficult time. Grey hair, as we know (even I know since I have piles of it already!), usually has a different texture from your other hair so she's experiencing a lot of breakage and dryness which is starting to defeat her.

Nothing I've suggested helps and I'm wonding if any 3c/4a's have any advice I can pass on to her. Currently she's not using much product and I'm trying to get her into doing the co-wash. She's at the point where she's thinking about going back to chemicals to make her hair easier to manage but I'm hoping for help before she goes down that route!

Please help!
Thanks!! : )

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    gray hair is different, but if your mom's hair is healthy, it should not break. what is her routine, what products does she use??
    is she willing to forego sulfates and silicones and care for her hair using the cg methods?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If she hasn't had a haircut recently, that would be a good place to start. Once all/most of the damaged hair is cut, she should start to really baby her hair with gentle co-washing and rich conditioners. She doesn't need to use gels, but may find them helpful to tame the different textures. I'd strongly recommend the curl junkie line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file