CurlTalk

Growth Aides

dopebydesigndopebydesign Posts: 21Registered Users
Hi 4b curlfriends!
After three months i've only noticed my hair growing at a rate of a about 1/4-3/8" per month. Lately, I'll have days when I just get fed up because I feel like it's not growing fast enough, despite daily moisturizing & weekly washes and DCs.

I've been looking into trying MSM, Sulfur, "Hair, Skin and Nails", and Bee Mine Growth Serum.

Do you have any recommendations for faster growth?

Comments

• FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    I don't do growth aids.

Hair grows because you're alive. My advice for length retention is...paitence and gentle handing.
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
  • peachfuzzzpeachfuzzz Posts: 113Registered Users
    Fronomenal wrote: »
    I don't do growth aids.

Hair grows because you're alive. My advice for length retention is...paitence and gentle handing.

^^I agree with the above post. Make a photo "journal" to help you see growth. I don't think growth aids truly speed up hair growth.
    Texture: Coarse?; Density: Med (?); Porosity(:confused3:?? Med-high); Wave pattern: 4B coils

Poo:
    Elucence MB
    Deep Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm Moisturizer: Qhemets Amla Olive HC:love5:
    Sealer: QB
    Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist (I use this as a styler too)
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Lock
    (rarely use)

event.png

event.png

• ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    I am not sure I have seen any growth aides that have worked. People swear by megatek but no one seems to say what happens when you stop. Vitamins are nice but I cannot say that my hair grows because of it. Plus I have been taking them for years so. As for your hair growth I would not worry about it just yet. My hair grows a lot in the summer and very little in the winter.
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Posts: 521Registered Users
    I was about to respond to this with all kinds of products and techniques, and then I had to check myself. Vitamins alone won't do it.

I've been taking MSM, bitotin (5mg), and a multi vitamin everyday for the past 7 months and i have not noticed great improvement in my hair length. I added horestail shave grass to the mix 2 weeks ago. Anyway, I was mid back this time last year and I'm still mid back. lol. I mean, my nails are growing nicely and much stronger ( which means manicures that really do last 7 days), but I have little to no length retention. The ONLY time i get length retention is when I weave. yup. when i sew it up for 2 months and really only shampoo and condition my leave out, then and only then do I see a whopping 3 inches of growth in 2 months time and no breakage so the length retention is on point.

Here's what I have noticed though. In the past, when I'd take out my weave I would find that after two months of let's say bunning my hair and no heat, that length that I had gained with the weave would seemingly disappear. Yeah, even with no heat and low manipulation...anyhoo, so the fact that I'm not losing any length tells me I'm on the right track. i just need to find a regimen that is works.

I've set up a little challenge for myself to keep up with the following regimen for the next 3 months. Then, I will straighten my hair and see how far I've come. Feel free to join me:

So far, my hair is liking ayurvedic oils ( which Indians swear by and so too many naturals.)

Biotique Bhringraj (ayurvedic) oil is an amazing daily/pree poo oil. Mix with honey and then cowash with nature's gate hemp conditioner ( 1-2xs a week)

DC of choice

Daily sealing with Jamaican castor oil.

I'll post reviews in 3 months!
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fdimepieceonadime.tumblr.com%2F" class="Popup
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    all you do is breath. People hair grow at diffrent rate you just gotta BE PATIENT and keep doing what your doing, growth comes with time.

Also a PS to get your mind off of growth before you know it your hair will be sprouting:thumbright:
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

• dopebydesigndopebydesign Posts: 21Registered Users
    Thanks for the tip & good luck with your growth challenge!

It's really interesting that you notice retention only with weave. I wonder if that is the case for my hair as well? hmm..
  • Minnie_MouseMinnie_Mouse Posts: 37Registered Users
    Occasional Scalp Massaging and Time.
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: High
    Elasticity: Normal
    Density: Thick
    Curl Type: 4b

BC on April 20, 2010

• ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    Hairguru17 wrote: »
    I was about to respond to this with all kinds of products and techniques, and then I had to check myself. Vitamins alone won't do it.

I've been taking MSM, bitotin (5mg), and a multi vitamin everyday for the past 7 months and i have not noticed great improvement in my hair length. I added horestail shave grass to the mix 2 weeks ago. Anyway, I was mid back this time last year and I'm still mid back. lol. I mean, my nails are growing nicely and much stronger ( which means manicures that really do last 7 days), but I have little to no length retention. The ONLY time i get length retention is when I weave. yup. when i sew it up for 2 months and really only shampoo and condition my leave out, then and only then do I see a whopping 3 inches of growth in 2 months time and no breakage so the length retention is on point.

Here's what I have noticed though. In the past, when I'd take out my weave I would find that after two months of let's say bunning my hair and no heat, that length that I had gained with the weave would seemingly disappear. Yeah, even with no heat and low manipulation...anyhoo, so the fact that I'm not losing any length tells me I'm on the right track. i just need to find a regimen that is works.

I've set up a little challenge for myself to keep up with the following regimen for the next 3 months. Then, I will straighten my hair and see how far I've come. Feel free to join me:

So far, my hair is liking ayurvedic oils ( which Indians swear by and so too many naturals.)

Biotique Bhringraj (ayurvedic) oil is an amazing daily/pree poo oil. Mix with honey and then cowash with nature's gate hemp conditioner ( 1-2xs a week)

DC of choice

Daily sealing with Jamaican castor oil.

I'll post reviews in 3 months!

you go girl! i did something like that last year and was surprised to see the results.
    i'll be waitin to hear frm ya!
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
  • ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    I am modifying my answer because in January I started working out and had some muscle soreness. So the lady at the gym recommended that I use an amino acid supplement the morning I work out and post work out. I did it and I noticed my hair grew about an inch in two months. Since I was not measuring I cannot say exactly but I did notice my hair is longer.

Some of the ladies in the other forum said it could bethe exercise and/or a combination of things. After doing a little checking on the amino acid I found out that L-Cysteine, L-methionine, L-cystine, L-arginine and L-lysine have an effect on hair growth.

I am not sure if this is a fluke or will level off in a month or two but if you need a boost this may be one way to do it. Oh I should also say my hair grows very slowly as well I think about 1/4 of an inch and even slower in the winter.

Again not sure if it will work but if you want more details like what products I was using and all that pm me and I will give you all the details.

HTH
  • ebonyrose31626ebonyrose31626 Posts: 253Registered Users
    sulfur powder + oil(any oil) twice a wk
    indirectly, women's one a day vitamins and b-complex
    4c wiry thick nappy low porosity hair
    Poo: SM black soap
    Rise out/Detangler:
    DC/: Avocado+ oil + Honey
    Spritz: Oyin J&B :love10:
    Moisturizer: OH Dew
    Sealant:BSP/Bask tapioca cream
  • dopebydesigndopebydesign Posts: 21Registered Users
    Thank you for the details! I will have to look into that biotique stuff. right now i'm on day 3 of using Hairfinity vitamins after hearing about them thru Nappturality Radio.
  • koolkurlskoolkurls Posts: 26Registered Users
    I've been wearing my hair in braids for the past 8 months, redoing them myself every month or so. I spray with water, then apply giovanni leave in, finish with bio infusion olive oil moisturizer everyday like clockwork. My hair was at 5" and now it's at 8 or 8 1/2 at some places. I think ur hair grows when you leave her alone. I gave myself a goal a challenge for one year to really focus on growing my hair and so far so good. Good luck with yours
  • koolkurlskoolkurls Posts: 26Registered Users
    Oh yeah, and co wash only, and deep condition when I take the braids out.
  • PrincessLoopyPrincessLoopy Posts: 89Registered Users
    koolkurls wrote: »
    I've been wearing my hair in braids for the past 8 months, redoing them myself every month or so. I spray with water, then apply giovanni leave in, finish with bio infusion olive oil moisturizer everyday like clockwork. My hair was at 5" and now it's at 8 or 8 1/2 at some places. I think ur hair grows when you leave her alone. I gave myself a goal a challenge for one year to really focus on growing my hair and so far so good. Good luck with yours

I agree that if our hair is left alone, it grows the most.
    dee-nature wrote: »
    all you do is breath. People hair grow at diffrent rate you just gotta BE PATIENT and keep doing what your doing, growth comes with time.

Also a PS to get your mind off of growth before you know it your hair will be sprouting:thumbright:

I also agree with patience. It was a hard lesson for me to learn but I'm currently learning it.

event.png

Naturally coily, 4a when wet, 4a and 4b when dry and loving it. Low porosity, Medium-High Density, Coarse/Thick textured :happy7:
    It's my hair and if people don't approve they should take it up with the creator, not the creation. : )
  • AllyTAllyT Posts: 613Registered Users
    An old wife's tale (or not?) is to rub castor oil on your scalp. It is supposed to make hair grow in thicker and faster. I don't know about all that. I do know for a fact that this helps with a dry scalp. I had the worse dry scalp ever - flaking, patchiness and used a hair lotion w/castor oil (BB Moisturizing Lotion). Just a little at night massaged into my scalp. Totally eliminated the problem.

Something is helping my hair grow faster, but I think it is the supplements I take for PCOS - flaxseed oil and cinnamon, helping more than the castor oil. I've been using the castor oil for a long time, and the faster growth is a new phenomenon.
    AllyT wrote: »
    An old wife's tale (or not?) is to rub castor oil on your scalp. It is supposed to make hair grow in thicker and faster. I don't know about all that. I do know for a fact that this helps with a dry scalp. I had the worse dry scalp ever - flaking, patchiness and used a hair lotion w/castor oil (BB Moisturizing Lotion). Just a little at night massaged into my scalp. Totally eliminated the problem.

Something is helping my hair grow faster, but I think it is the supplements I take for PCOS - flaxseed oil and cinnamon, helping more than the castor oil. I've been using the castor oil for a long time, and the faster growth is a new phenomenon.

Yeah, it's now the only oil I use! Dnt know about the growth but my hair is soooo soft I can comb it dry - lol!

DOPEBYDESIGN: As far as growth aides, I went looking for ya... and found this:

African American Hair Vitamins for Faster Growth and Stronger Hair

I tried their natura-laxer a while back and I liked it, it was just too small for th price. So I don't see them making a shabby growth pill. Plus, 75 reviews! Who knows?

Scalp massages are great too, to get that circulation going after you've been stressed out all day.

• AphrocntricAphrocntric Posts: 2Registered Users

I have PCOS as well, and had major hair loss. I noticed significant regrowth by taking daily vitamin, biotin,vitamin D3, saw palmetto,flaxseed oil,borage oil and gse.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
    [QUOTE=Aphrocntric;1642553I have PCOS as well, and had major hair loss. I noticed significant regrowth by taking daily vitamin, biotin,vitamin D3, saw palmetto,flaxseed oil,borage oil and gse.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App[/QUOTE]

Do the oil supplements make your hair and scalp oily? I've noticed an increased oiliness when I normally don't have that issue at all - in fact, my hair and scalp err toward dry. I only take a flaxseed cap every other day and I take a tbsp. of olive oil (Omega 3) every day. Omega 3s are supposed to be good for the hormonal fluctations of PCOS, but I swear they're giving me increased crampiness and swollen breasts around PMS time. They don't seem to do anything for moodswings, either. If I miss a day of them, I don't have these symptoms, is why I suspect.... I couldn't take Provera (progesterone) for this reason. My body is so hypersensitive to medicines, though.
  • AphrocntricAphrocntric Posts: 2Registered Users
    [QUOTE=Aphrocntric;1642553I have PCOS as well, and had major hair loss. I noticed significant regrowth by taking daily vitamin, biotin,vitamin D3, saw palmetto,flaxseed oil,borage oil and gse.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App

Do the oil supplements make your hair and scalp oily? I've noticed an increased oiliness when I normally don't have that issue at all - in fact, my hair and scalp err toward dry. I only take a flaxseed cap every other day and I take a tbsp. of olive oil (Omega 3) every day. Omega 3s are supposed to be good for the hormonal fluctations of PCOS, but I swear they're giving me increased crampiness and swollen breasts around PMS time. They don't seem to do anything for moodswings, either. If I miss a day of them, I don't have these symptoms, is why I suspect.... I couldn't take Provera (progesterone) for this reason. My body is so hypersensitive to medicines, though.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't make my hair/scalp oily, but I did notice if I miss a day taking my supplements that I spiral into depression, or I feel really fatigued. I'm sensitive to meds as well. I was taking the usual PCOS drugs, but for the last 4 months I've been trying the natural route. I feel somewhat better, and my hair is growing back rapidly. Also I noticed I lost a few pounds. I think the weight loss is from B-12 injections though. I'm not sure. I take so many supplements daily, so I'm not certain as to which one is causing the hair growth and weight loss.

Have you tried using the ground flaxseed in cereal or oatmeal. It's suppose to work just as well as the caps. Try vitamin D3 for mood swings and depression. It's worked really well for me, plus it's helped my cycle to be normal, though I still have severe cramping and migraines. If you want to know more just pm me.:smile:
    ^^^ No, I thought about trying ground flaxseeds, but I don't eat cereal or oatmeal (other than handful of Cheerios in the morning!). My doctor suspected a Vitamin D deficiency in me because that is a common cause of missed periods and mood swings/depression. He messed up my lab sheets, though, so I won't take the Vit. D test until July. I wouldn't think I'd have that, though, since I get a lot of dairy in my diet and I take a mulitivitamin. Cinnamon is supposed to help with anxiety, but I haven't noticed anything.
  • tehowardtehoward Posts: 17Registered Users
    There are hair growth oils, besides castor oil, that can aid with hair growth. For instance, emu oil has been known to lengthen the growing phase of the hair cycle. Also, rosemary oil can stimulate hair follicles to grow. Carrot oil fights breakage, and as we all know, our fragile 4b hair needs to be strengthened against breakage.

Hope this helps!
    Want to make your natural hair naturalicious?
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    Eh. I just take a vegetarian multivitamin (doesn't have dyes/animal by products/other additives), but that's mainly because I'm in college and my diet consists of pizza, pasta and the freezer aisle (but there's veggies there! Right? ...RIGHT?!) But they do seem to help my hair grow/help me retain length.

I noticed the more I started to not really pay attention to it, the more my hair seemed to grow. It's growin, don't worry. :glasses8:
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
    Eh. I just take a vegetarian multivitamin (doesn't have dyes/animal by products/other additives), but that's mainly because I'm in college and my diet consists of pizza, pasta and the freezer aisle (but there's veggies there! Right? ...RIGHT?!) But they do seem to help my hair grow/help me retain length.

I noticed the more I started to not really pay attention to it, the more my hair seemed to grow. It's growin, don't worry. :glasses8:

Yep. This is true now more than ever for me.

On another note, I chopped my hair off maybe like two weeks ago, and now after taking MSM, biotin, and my multivitamin daily, my hair seems like it's on a healthy start! & that dear castor oil has appeared to make my hair so thick and soft that the denman can't even go through it. As a matter of fact, I put it in a headband yesterday, and it looks like how it did before I cut it off -- That shrinkage has my mind playing tricks on me :happy11:...

:protest: People can say that 'hair grows no matter what' all they want, but I know for a fact that hasn't been the case with me. Our diets are not the same as they used to be 40-50 years ago. The food, the water, everything has changed, plus motherhood changes your body chemistry sometimes too, so people, take a deep breath and try a vitamin or a liquid vitamin or a growth aid if you feel like it. It gives your body the jumpstart it needs and fills in the missing gaps in your diet. It's most likely good for something else in your entire body too!

ReynaCR wrote: »

On another note, I chopped my hair off maybe like two weeks ago, and now after taking MSM, biotin, and my multivitamin daily, my hair seems like it's on a healthy start! & that dear castor oil has appeared to make my hair so thick and soft that the denman can't even go through it. As a matter of fact, I put it in a headband yesterday, and it looks like how it did before I cut it off -- That shrinkage has my mind playing tricks on me :happy11:...

:protest: People can say that 'hair grows no matter what' all they want, but I know for a fact that hasn't been the case with me. Our diets are not the same as they used to be 40-50 years ago. The food, the water, everything has changed, plus motherhood changes your body chemistry sometimes too, so people, take a deep breath and try a vitamin or a liquid vitamin or a growth aid if you feel like it. It gives your body the jumpstart it needs and fills in the missing gaps in your diet. It's most likely good for something else in your entire body too!
    Oh, totally. If it helps, do it. BUT BUT BUT, make SURE you research which vitamins are the best for you. I can't tell enough stories about all the additives that go into them along with other chemicals not mentioned and not the amount of a vitamin it tells you, because multivitamins don't have to be FDA approved to be sold. Make sure it has a sticker somewhere on it telling you it's "USP Verified". I cannot emphasize that enough. Haha
  • misspvgrad07misspvgrad07 Posts: 99Registered Users
    I use the hair skin and nails vitamins from GNC and also will be purchasing the wild hair growth oil

Sent from my  using CurlTalk
  • ShondadiniShondadini Posts: 205Registered Users
    I've been using the Hair, Skin, Nail vitamins from gnc. They really do work. It's help clear up my skin and my nails grow super fast. Now as for hair I have noticed an increase in growth everywhere. Now I mean everywhere I have to shave more often and me being a hairy person already, I have to keep the facial hair in check.
  • misspvgrad07misspvgrad07 Posts: 99Registered Users
    Shondadini wrote: »
    I've been using the Hair, Skin, Nail vitamins from gnc. They really do work. It's help clear up my skin and my nails grow super fast. Now as for hair I have noticed an increase in growth everywhere. Now I mean everywhere I have to shave more often and me being a hairy person already, I have to keep the facial hair in check.

I have been using the same vitamins and I love them.

Sent from my  using CurlTalk
    Shondadini wrote: »

Oh god. Don't I know it. :shock:
  • alsaxonalsaxon Posts: 734Registered Users
    I think some growth aides work. in my experience the GNC Nourishair definitely boosts growth and I seem to to have noticeable thickening by taking a 5g biotin daily. Prior to these two products I did not believe in growth aides. They didn't work in my opinion. Some believe that if a hair vitamin is working it may be because of a vitamin deficiency of some sort and the vitamin is just providing you with what you should have anyway. Anyhow, vitamin deficiency or not these two supplements work for me. I've also been more gentle with my hair so the length retention helps.
    Album: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs136.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq165%2Falsaxon%2FHair%2F" class="Popup

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." --- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
  • alsaxonalsaxon Posts: 734Registered Users
    ReynaCR wrote: »

AGREED!!
    Album: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs136.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq165%2Falsaxon%2FHair%2F" class="Popup

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." --- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross