Hair Recovery-Color Stripped and trying to Get Back

batgrrlybatgrrly Posts: 7Registered Users
Hello Ladies and Gents,
All my life I have been a curlie, and always felt so out of place. Now I am in the 40s and had to do some things to my hair recently.

We live on a well water system, and well we have very soft water, which of course everyone wants. But when it has all kinds of natural sediments and house pipe changing the chemicals, well, let's just say that the soft water and build up got a bit crazy. So I worked with the hair dresser to pull some of the old, built up color, that was also turning some weird blackish streaking.

So, of course getting into the middle life period, my hair has changed several times in texture and curl. Adding a few grays, porosity and such, the stripping of the color left the top layer well, wanting to straighten out and acting like I put relaxer on it. Which we didn't do. The under layer has gone curly crazy so the effect is, well, interesting to say the least. WE have lightened up the color a bit, and I keep pouring on the conditioner. I have gone in search of conditioners to find one that does the job, and the perfume in it does not cause severe dermatitis or allergy reactions. It's been a frustrating trip.

Has anyone else out there had these problems? I realize my hair is still healing from this, and well, I am sure cutting some of the upper layer may be a solution, I fear the haircuts of my youth, the layered curly BoZO look.

I will of course keep searching for a solution to products that may help, it's hard when age has brought on sensitivities to smell and skin sensitivity. I will keep asking the curly hair companies for samples, it just gets so expensive when you buy something and have a reaction to it. Grrrrr:confused1:

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know Xcptnl uses Malibu 2000 sulfate-free shampoo once a month to remove mineral deposits left by her well water. Maybe she'll see this, or you could PM her to get further info.

I highly recommend Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment to get it back in shape, just be sure to order it unscented. I'd use it at least once a week until you see some improvement. My stylist has commented about how healthy my hair is looking and feeling lately, without knowing that I was using/doing anything any different.

The way it's lost its curl also sounds like it may need protein - if your hair's fine, it almost certainly does. I also recommend the Spiral Solutions Repairing Protein Treatment. I use it for about 30 minutes under low heat, rinse, then follow with the SSDDMT also under low heat for 30 minutes or more. If you don't have a hood dryer, wrapping the plastic cap with a towel to retain your body heat also works pretty well. It works much better for me than Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee and other commercial protein treatments or even homemade treatments.

I also often use it as my rinse out conditioner and/or a pea-size amount as a leave-in - really makes my curls pop when they're getting tired.

Shawntelle's (one of our own - Runnerchikki) products are all natural, and they don't bother my sensitive scalp at all. You have to be sure to say in the comments area that you want everything unscented.

Lastly, natural cassia treatments can strengthen your hair if you feel it's fragile after everything it's been thru. You can read about why it needs to be natural cassia and order it from
    Mehandi.com shop - Cassia Obovata makes your hair shiny, healthy and strong and restores gray or drab blond color!
    or you might be able to find it locally in, say, an Indian or Mid-Eastern market. It strengthens and improves the condition in the long run, but immediately after using it, you have to be sure to condition/moisturize well. It doesn't affect hair color unless you first let it sit for several hours for dye release, and then only if your hair is very light colored - if you just mix it and use it right away, definitely no problems.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • batgrrlybatgrrly Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thanks, I will seek out a few of these and see if they can get me unscented. Again, you know it's great that it's natural but sometimes I react to natural products to. I tried some argon oil products and well, it made me nauseous all day and such, so I also tried the new Moroccan oils products, and it's just too strong for me . Nothing like going out the door with a purfect curl and scratch allergies or migraine happening. Ah, the search goes on.:sad3:
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, she has complete ingredient lists on everything, so just check them out and see what you think. And the cassia is nothing but the ground up plant itself.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • batgrrlybatgrrly Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thanks to many of the suggestions here, I have found three product lines I can tolerate. I have been blogging about my experiments. I have done a sweep of my "closet of not working products" and I am donating them to some girls with less sensitivities.

I officially got the word that I am in Peri Pause...so yes, the hormones and the allergies have changed yet again. So far these lines have been doing okay and I am rotating them.

These lines have worked so far:
    Jessie Curl
    Shikai, two conditione4rs and a spray curl enhancer
    Beautiful Curls (at Wholefoods)

not all products in the lines work and I still get a few dermatitis bumps, but not big angry welts, red itchies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file