Roots feel dry and don't curl like the rest of my hair

KinkycoilylileeKinkycoilylilee Posts: 26Registered Users
Hi Ladies,

My hair from the roots and about 2 inches in feel extremely dry. The hair isn't really curly until after the 2 inch point. The rest of my hair doesn't feel dry either. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or how I can fix this :confused1:. It's really strange. My ends are curly. The roots feel rough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Do you cowash? Adding that extra moisture closer to the scalp may help.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • KinkycoilylileeKinkycoilylilee Posts: 26Registered Users
    I actually just started co-washing. I've always washed with HH shampoo then condition with HH Conditioner or Totally Twisted and then Deep condition with Pantene Replenishing mask.

Right now I wash with Treseme Naturals, then detangle with HH Conditioner or TT and deep condition with the Pantene Replenishing mask (the beautiful lengths version). I don't like this version of the replenishing mask much. It doesn't make my hair feel as moisturized as the original replenishing mask. I just have a feeling I'm washing my hair with the wrong products.
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    I have the same issue...

I have fine thin 4a hair with low Porosity.

It doesn't really matter what I co wash with, shampoo, or DC with. The results of my puffy afro roots are the same. But a great DC will at least give me soft roots, not dry, and easy to manage. I use KBB Luscious Locks and CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix twice a week.

What I have to do it plat my hair. I think LexiWithTheCurls does it a lot in her videos. To me it's like cornrolling my hair just for some twist outs to look good.

I've tried good ole regular twisting and the shingling method and NOPE still puffy roots. The plat method is the only thing that worked for me.

Then her comes the good part... The products, tee hee. I get better results with QB Amala and Olive Heavy Cream on my roots to plat with. Sometime I can use a cheap styler like eco styler but thats for one day hair with me, I get the flakes after that. I've gotten nice results so far from Komaza Care Califa Cream leave in, I'm still trying this out, I've had it for a week now and I love it.

Ok results with Beauti-Curls from CJ, hate Knot Today on my roots. Miss Jessie anything will puff out if I go out, lol. Oyin Whipped pudding gave me ok results but need oil and water with it on my roots. Wow the list goes on and on for me and my roots and products.

Oh and I did get great results with Darcy's Acovado twisting cream and a Bantu Not out.

I just place a large product haul so I'm waiting for stuff to come in and hoepfully I can find something to help this very problem that we are having.

I know I don't do YT demo's, only reviews, but I will try and start doing some demos since having hair like mine is rare and different to work with than most.
  • KinkycoilylileeKinkycoilylilee Posts: 26Registered Users
    Thank you so much! I'm going to try some of these styles. I did the cornrow twist and when I took it out it did curl my roots but my hair was so tangled. I think it's because I did keep combing out the ends as I went along. How do you keep you style after you've Bantu knot or plat your hair at night?
  • KalenaKalena Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I know this is an old thread but did you find a solution to dry roots? Anyone? 
  • BlessingNaturalBlessingNatural Posts: 76Registered Users Curl Novice
    Did u straighten it with heat or having it bleach/dye? 
  • NatrulyMeNatrulyMe Posts: 148Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I actually just started co-washing. I've always washed with HH shampoo then condition with HH Conditioner or Totally Twisted and then Deep condition with Pantene Replenishing mask.

Right now I wash with Treseme Naturals, then detangle with HH Conditioner or TT and deep condition with the Pantene Replenishing mask (the beautiful lengths version). I don't like this version of the replenishing mask much. It doesn't make my hair feel as moisturized as the original replenishing mask. I just have a feeling I'm washing my hair with the wrong products.
    Is your hair porosity high or low? If your hair is high porosity you need to do a deep condition once a week and or try co-washing. Also, keep a spitz bottle on hand to mist hair with water & aloe vera juice mixed (or H2O, Aloe Vera Juice & Oil). My hair is high porosity and I shampoo and or co-wash once a week along with deep condition. In addition, I do a protein treatment every 2-4 weeks as needed. This helps with hair being dry to keep it moist & healthy. You can even try ACV rinse (H2O & apple cider vinegar in a spitz bottle).  

Pattern: 3C/4A 
    Characteristics: (Spongy/Coarse/Curly Kinky)
    Porosity: High
    Density: Medium
    Hair Width: Medium Sized Strands
    Elasticity: Medium Elasticity

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL

My hair is shoulder length when stretched.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file