is agave nectar a good sub for honey ?

CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Posts: 734Registered Users
in deep conditions i mean. im a vegan so i dont use honey and im curious
head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
"Make your choice adventurous stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger.
Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen

Comments

• Maria JoséMaria José Posts: 4Registered Users
    I have used it to substitute honey in my FSG and it works just as great, I used Light Agave Nectar and reduced the amount I put in just in case my hair rebelled against it ... next time I will try adding a little more.

Because Agave Nectar comes from a succulent plant I'm guessing it has the same moisturising and humidity control as honey ... if you are hesitant try adding less then you would normally have in your DT.
    3b~ seemingly protein resistant

Grape seed oil:thumright:
    FSG
    Dr Bronner's Magic Liquid Soap:Almond
    Any cone-less conditioner
  • kathrinrichkathrinrich Posts: 10Registered Users
    I haven't tried to substitute but it is equal amounts of honey for agave.
  • organiclocorganicloc Posts: 38Registered Users
    Yes. Agave is good as well as coconut sugar

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using CurlTalk App
  • silkspunsilkspun Posts: 3Registered Users
    I'm also vegan and i've found that agave works well but brown rice syrup or maple syrup (the real kind... pricey, i know) works very very well for me.
  • fihefihe Posts: 101Registered Users
    organicloc wrote: »

Well, that's good news for me! My mom has a ton of coconut sugar that she doesn't use. In fact, she buys a ton of oils, flours, and sweeteners, most of which she ends up rarely, if ever, using, but they make good raw materials for my hair and skin products :)

I can't say whether agave nectar works just as well as honey for hair products, but I've tried using it once as a binder for an aspirin face mask and did not like it for that purpose. It was not as viscous and did not moisturize my skin as well. Yesterday, I did make my own shampoo with 0.5 castile soap, 0.25 water, ~0.25 agave nectar, and several drops of argan oil. It dried out my scalp, and my scalp in fact tends to get oily! Probably too much castile soap and not enough oil. I would think that oils or butters should be the main ingredients of your deep conditioner, with agave nectar or honey as a secondary ingredient.
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair
  • chloespeakschloespeaks Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't honey used for it's Humectant (attracting water, therefore moisturizing) qualities, which agave and coconut sugar lack? Or are you using it for some other purpose?
    I'm sympathetic to the vegan issue; don't know off-hand what can substitute that's not vegan.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I heard that it is, providing more hold, and is also humectant.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    fihe said:
    organicloc wrote: »

Well, that's good news for me! My mom has a ton of coconut sugar that she doesn't use. In fact, she buys a ton of oils, flours, and sweeteners, most of which she ends up rarely, if ever, using, but they make good raw materials for my hair and skin products :)
    This is hilarious. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file