CurlTalk

Dry fuzzy straight-ish hair needs help

2AonaGoodDay2AonaGoodDay Posts: 20Registered Users
Hi all - I have chin-length, vaguely wavy hair that is fine, porous and color treated. I have been doing modified CG (no silicones, no harsh detergents, low-poo about once a week or less) since last summer and I'm frustrated by how dry and lifeless my hair looks. It gets weighed down and greasy looking very easily so I would love suggestions for something that would help moisturize without weighing it down. I avoid gels or anything with any hold at this point, because it's so dry looking that hold-y products just make it look drier and stiff looking.
Please help! Thank you!
Hair type: 2a (obv), fine, porous. Not really wavy, definitely not straight. Chin length. About 50% gray, so I color monthly.

Lopoo/Shampoo:
*Deva No-Poo *Shea Moisture Retention (kinda heavy though) * Yes to Carrots

Conditioners:
*Natures Gate herbal * Suave Coconut * GVP cond balm * Shea Moisture

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    My hair doesn't get weighed down, so I'll let someone else suggest lots of products.
    Homemade FSG adds moisture, curl enhancement, and doesn't weigh hair down. Some people can use this in large amounts without getting weighed down.
    Try adding honey to your conditioner. This works great at moisturizing my dry hair. It is a complete bust for some people. I mix my honey and conditioner 50/50, but you might like less honey. I can't imagine honey would weigh hair down.
    Try the spritz and condish method. It is an excellent way to add moisture to dry, porous hair.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/89299-spritz-condish-washing-porous-types-thirsty-curls-everywhere.html
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • RitaCelesteRitaCeleste Posts: 40Registered Users
    Do a quick hair strand test. If the hair has some stretch and will go back to its right shape, is kinda strong its OK. If it doesn't stretch, just breaks you need more moisture. Do a Deep conditioning treatment with something like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. That means putting it on dry hair, waiting 20 mins or so before CO washing it out. Then test it again. If it now stretches out but doesn't shrink back into shape, or is super stretchy, you need a product with protein too. I noticed a section the store that has conditioners with protein too so I'd go there and look for something.
    Pre-shampoo- Vatika Coconut Hair Oil
    Deep Conditioner- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
    Conditioner AOHR
    Frizz Control- Aphogee Moisturizing Oil Sheen
    Protein Treatment- Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor
    Hair type 2c
    Goal long, bright red, soft hair!
    I was also thinking you might be over moisturized. Being over moisurized mimics dry hair. Over moisturized hair hair feels mushy when wet and can look like cotton candy when dry. When you do the elascticity test, over moisturized hair streches and stretches and does not return to its original shape.
    I've heard that Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle and Rose can weigh some people down.
    This is a good article on protein/moisture balance. Page 5 has info on hair diagnosis.
    The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
  • 2AonaGoodDay2AonaGoodDay Posts: 20Registered Users
    Okay, I did a strand test and it did not really stretch and broke pretty quickly, so moisture it is. I think all of my conditioners have protein in them, so maybe I need to find one without protein? Feel free to keep adding ideas/product recommendations, by all means.
    Thank you all so much!
    Hair type: 2a (obv), fine, porous. Not really wavy, definitely not straight. Chin length. About 50% gray, so I color monthly.

Lopoo/Shampoo:

Conditioners:
    I haven't tried anything lighter than the Honey Suckle Rose. My hair is mostly type 2c and porous (good luck weighing that down! lol). In the store there is a handy section for moisture only conditioners. Anyone with fine hair have a favorite?
    Conditioner AOHR
    Hair type 2c
    Okay, I did a strand test and it did not really stretch and broke pretty quickly, so moisture it is. I think all of my conditioners have protein in them, so maybe I need to find one without protein? Feel free to keep adding ideas/product recommendations, by all means.
    Thank you all so much!
    If you hair is fine, you probably need protein AND moisture. Fine hair needs protein and porous hair needs protein. That article makes it seem like you can't need both, but you absolutely can. I do. In fact, protein can help your hair hang on to moisture.
    Here is an old thread that suggests moisturizing conditioners that won't weigh hair down.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/95136-calling-fine-haired-wavies.html
    AOHR does work for some people who get weighed down. It worked for my friend and it is very moisturizing. But some people find it weighs them down.
    Gotta go, but you may also like this PT.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html#post1517540
    My hair really needs both. I use the AOHR as a deep conditioner about twice a week plus Aphogee Kertin 2 Minute Reconstuctor once a week. But I can see on it's list of ingredients Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Amodimethicone, Mineral Oil. I'm thinking this can't be CG friendly. I thought I needed the moisture and protein kinda separate so I could try and balance it out. Is there a CG friendly reconstuctor that compares to Aphogee?
    Conditioner AOHR
    Hair type 2c
    My hair really needs both. I use the AOHR as a deep conditioner about twice a week plus Aphogee Kertin 2 Minute Reconstuctor once a week. But I can see on it's list of ingredients Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Amodimethicone, Mineral Oil. I'm thinking this can't be CG friendly. I thought I needed the moisture and protein kinda separate so I could try and balance it out. Is there a CG friendly reconstuctor that compares to Aphogee?
    I haven't tried it yet, but you might like the aphogee green tea. It also has keratin.
    Amazon.com: Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer 8 oz: Beauty
  • 2AonaGoodDay2AonaGoodDay Posts: 20Registered Users
    Just to follow up - it seems I needed more moisture, so I did a couple of moisture treatments which seemed to help. Adding a conditioner with protein kind of brought out the dry-fuzzy hair again, so I think I need to focus on a couple of daily conditioners that do not have protein. (I've got plenty that have protein.) Other than AOHR, which is indeed a bit heavy for daily use, does anyone have any recommendations?
    Thanks all!

Lopoo/Shampoo:

Conditioners:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    I haven't tried it yet, but you might like the aphogee green tea. It also has keratin.
    Amazon.com: Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer 8 oz: Beauty

Wow.. they are charging a lot for that on Amazon! I think you can get this for $5-6 in your local bss.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    Just to follow up - it seems I needed more moisture, so I did a couple of moisture treatments which seemed to help. Adding a conditioner with protein kind of brought out the dry-fuzzy hair again, so I think I need to focus on a couple of daily conditioners that do not have protein. (I've got plenty that have protein.) Other than AOHR, which is indeed a bit heavy for daily use, does anyone have any recommendations?
    Thanks all!
    GVP conditioning balm (from sally's) is moisturizing and I'm fairly certain it doesn't have protein.