The "Split" Has Not Progressed

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I have not dusted this one hair strand because it fascinates me!

I actually noticed it last month. I haven't clipped it because the split has not progressed. It's not short, but goes up to 1/8th of the hair strand. I do "dust my ends", but I've also read that with curly hair, especially tightly curled hair, the split does not go all the way up the strand as with straight hair.

Obviously split ends are not flattering, but I am curious to see how long this split end will stay at the current length or if it gets longer. And yes, I will continue dusting the rest of my hair. This winter, my split ends are not as bad as last winter, in which I actually had to do a trim.

Your comments are welcome!
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
 *This list is not exhaustive...
CoWash: various
DT: various
Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
Spritz/Sealant:not now
*experimenting and loving it!

Comments

• dernhelmdernhelm Posts: 84Registered Users
    I misread your post at first and was thinking to myself how in the heck you ever managed to re-find a single split end! lol. My splits always hide whenever I get up to go get the scissors, never to found again until I don't have scissors on me.

But I see that you are dusting and not doing a search and destroy.

That's interesting what you read about (tighter) curled hair and the split not traveling up the hair shaft. It is making me wonder...I have very few split ends, which surprises me, but I do have a lot of sad, thinned out looking strands. Maybe they were splits where half of the split fell off because it couldn't travel up the hair shaft?
    very fine/dense/high porosity
    No heat styling

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    UPDATE:

The split is still there and has not moved up the hair shaft, and it has been over a month.
  • principessa1984principessa1984 Posts: 129Registered Users
    My splits don't budge, either. They just hang on until they decide to break off. This does result in thinned ends, if you don't trim, but your whole strand won't be split in two.
    My signature style: the "braid n' curl"
    High porosity, normal elasticity, high density, thick strands, DRY (must moisturize/oil and DT a lot), tangles easily. Highly textured...curl softener+demi-perm color.
    Straightened length: Waist (layers)
    Textured length: (variable) full SL to BSL

Condish/Shampoo: VO5
    Pre-poo: mild protein(VO5)+castor oil+tea tree
    Steam treatments: 1-2x weekly
    Daily routine and DT: Moisturize w/ Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose+Olive oil and seal w/ Avocado oil
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I finally cut it! Torn between what we've been told about split ends and continuing the experiment, I gave into tradition and cut it.

@principessa1984:
    The strand was still strong and had not thinned, but I do understand that eventually it would have thinned and broken off.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights