CurlTalk

Has anyone at NC tried OIL SHAMPOOING?

Hi all!

I came across these EXTENSIVE threads at lhc.com:

Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo - The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards - View Single Post - Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

I would LOVE hair that CAN be brushed (or wide-tooth combed) as they are describing. They are using warmed coconut oil (for the most part) IN a shampoo - as a cleanser WITHOUT conditioner. Some are having great results! I searched NC, did not see that anyone here had tried it.

I haven't had time to read through much of the threads, but sounds interesting!

THOUGHTS?

Erica :toothy4:
3a/b, fine, tends to be flat on top/at roots. :sad: Growing out damaged ends:clock:.
No-poo for over a year.

Experimenting with CV bars, AVG/J, and FSG.

Ultimate goal: NO PRODUCT!!!:blob8: Considering Terressentials.

Comments

• crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users
    Hi all!

I came across these EXTENSIVE threads at lhc.com:

Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo - The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards - View Single Post - Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

I would LOVE hair that CAN be brushed (or wide-tooth combed) as they are describing. They are using warmed coconut oil (for the most part) IN a shampoo - as a cleanser WITHOUT conditioner. Some are having great results! I searched NC, did not see that anyone here had tried it.

I haven't had time to read through much of the threads, but sounds interesting!

THOUGHTS?

Erica :toothy4:

I just did this, after reading some of the thread. I decided to try it with a pea sized bit of melted coconut oil and a shampoo I had around, that does contain sulfates. I liquefied the coconut oil in my palm and added the shampoo, mixed them, then shampooed my hair. I rinsed and followed with 1T acv
    in a large tumbler of water, then rinsed that out. Scrunched out most of the water with a towel, combed through my hair and did not add any products. Sat under the bonnet dryer 10 minutes, my hair dried more quickly than usual.
    I finger styled and brushed my hair a little, after it was dry.
    My curl pattern is looser, smoother,no frizz. No clumpy spirals like I usually have with gel, more like beachy waves, and lots of shine. This reminds me of when I used to set my hair in hot rollers.
    I'd say go ahead and try it if you'd like a looser curl and a smoother look for a change, without damage.
    Here is my usual hair with CG method.168100_1269269628881_1744062716_500724_2156818_n.jpg
    Here is my result today with the oil shampooing, no products added.184680_1297116685040_1744062716_546329_6999651_n.jpg
  • MausiMausi Posts: 34Registered Users
    Deleted.
  • MausiMausi Posts: 34Registered Users
    Deleted.
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I did it for awhile but stopped. I didn't use warmed coconut oil, I just rubbed it in my hands to melt it first a bit then added my shampoo.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    I've never tried adding the oil to my shampoo, but I do use quite a bit of coconut oil in my hair daily. Unlike most oils, it doesn't weigh me down, and I don't need sulfates to remove it.
    I pre-poo with it, then either low poo or co wash, then I use a tiny bit over my RO then either leave it in, or do a quickie rinse in cold water. I read in the natural haven blog that the oils that can penetrate the hair shaft need at least 5 minutes to do so. So if I was trying this I would let the poo or co wash sit for 5 minutes before rinsing just to get the most out of it.
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    Those threads are overwhelming! :confused1: I read about it a while ago, but didn't follow up with it. It sounds too complicated. At the very least, there would be a transitioning/adjustment period, and that's a huge turnoff for me since I am content with my hair right now.