No more layering of different styling products

JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
A couple of weeks ago, I got fed up with trying to figure out what styling products my hair was and wasn't liking, as well as figuring out if it was the combo of products my hair didn't like, or one of the products in the combo. So, I've been testing a different way of doing things for the last 1 1/2 weeks: only one styling product but two layers of it, and using the same exact conditioner/shampoo each time. I use a pea-sized amount of Giovanni 50/50 for a LI each time, and then I scrunch in 3-5 quarter-sized blobs of a styling product into soaking wet hair. Then I use a thick t-shirt to scrunch out the excess water, and then I scrunch in another 2-3 quarter-sized blobs of the same styling product. I arrange my curls, partially diffuse, and then air dry the rest of the way. I've had unexpectedly great results with each styling product I've tried so far:

KCCC
EcoStyler Protein
Beyond the Zone Noodlehead Mousse
Curl Junkie Curl Queen
LA Looks Cashmere Curls

I have more (a LOT more) styling products to try using this method, but I will use much less product (dime-size or less vs quarter-size) when I start trying this with my curl cremes.

Anyway, I thought this might be helpful for some of you! :)
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.

Comments

• mesuemesue Registered Users Posts: 244 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks. I am going to have to try this because it gets annoying layering in so many things! Not to mention confusing...
    Sue

Axed the perpetual ponytail and went curly on 1/6/2011.
    Hair Properties: 3a/b, fine-medium texture, thick density, normal porosity.
    Still experimenting with products and routine.
    So far, I like: FSG, GTTTT, V05 Conditioners, protein treatments, this towel.

"Well, as soon as we get ourselves cleaned up and we get a little smellum in our hair, why, we're gonna feel 100% better about ourselves and about life in general." - Ulysses Everett McGill
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Ha! I wish I could layer. :p I feel like my hair gets so gunky and coated right away, so I try to keep the amount of products to a minimum. :(
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file