low-poo conundrum

hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
This is gonna be complicated! I am looking for a low-poo that is 1)gluten free 2)color-safe 3) budget-friendly 4)CG-friendly 5) helpful with dry scalp/white flakes.Whew!! I am currenlty using L'oreal Everpure Shampoo once a week but I am still dealing with a lot of flakes even with the use of pure tea tree essential oil. I'm wondering if it's because the shampoo has glycol in it...I've read other threads where people have had sensitivities to that ingredient. It's very frustrating to have my scalp be flaking all the time! Since I color my hair I'd also like something gentle enough to not strip the dye. And I have Celiac's so it needs to be without wheat and other gluten-containing proteins. Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post!!!!:wave:
2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
- Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just posted something about this a few minutes ago.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/122060-silk-naturals-coconut-argan-cleansing-conditioner.html#post1597997

It seems to fit the bill for everything you mentioned except I don't know about the scalp issues - I hope it does for my own hair, too. It's not expensive, but unfortunately it only seems to be available on-line.

It seems somewhat similar to CJ Daily Fix, which my scalp likes, but a little less expensive, and with the additional of argan oil.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I just checked out their website and it looks like good stuff but on their ingredients list is "Behentrimonium Methosulfate". Would that still make it CG?

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

Yes. That's a good ingredient that many of us really like - it isn't a bad sulfate like sodium or ammonimum lauryl sulfate.

Ingredients Commonly Found in Hair-Care Products | NaturallyCurly.com

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    auntnett wrote: »
    Yes. That's a good ingredient that many of us really like - it isn't a bad sulfate like sodium or ammonimum lauryl sulfate.

Ingredients Commonly Found in Hair-Care Products | NaturallyCurly.com

Thank you for clearing that up!!!

Stylers-

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You peaked my interest at Behentrimonium Methosulfate. My hair loves that ingredient. Sadly, this has other ingredients my hair hates. It looks to be closer to a cowash then a low poo.
    Behentrimonium Methosulfate is cleansing in a cowash. It also has good slip and is moisturizing.
    THE NATURAL HAVEN: Guide to using ingredients: Behentrimonium part 2 of 2
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a problem with propylene glycol and DH REALLY has a problem with it.
    What about this one? I really want to try it: Baby Bee Fragrance Free Shampoo & Wash - Burt's Bees. Burt's Bees says it's gluten-free (there's also one with fragrance if you like) and the gentle detergents should be color-safe and pretty mild, otherwise you could just dilute. I used to use a Burt's Bees shampoo and liked it a lot until I developed an allergy to 2 ingredients -- neither of which are in this (linked) one. That was Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet and I really liked it. Very mild. Didn't need much for a head full of foam.
    IAgirl wrote: »
    I have a problem with propylene glycol and DH REALLY has a problem with it.
    What about this one? I really want to try it: Baby Bee Fragrance Free Shampoo & Wash - Burt's Bees. Burt's Bees says it's gluten-free (there's also one with fragrance if you like) and the gentle detergents should be color-safe and pretty mild, otherwise you could just dilute. I used to use a Burt's Bees shampoo and liked it a lot until I developed an allergy to 2 ingredients -- neither of which are in this (linked) one. That was Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet and I really liked it. Very mild. Didn't need much for a head full of foam.

That's a great idea!! I will definitely check that out!!

Stylers-

Can't stand any of the Burt's Bees hair products I've tried, but maybe the Baby Bee stuff is better. I hated the grapefruit/sugar beet shampoo and conditioner. One person's mild can be another's harsh, I guess - the shampoo totally stripped my hair, and the conditioner did nothing to revive it. Don't like their so-called deep conditioner either.

I don't see propylene glycol in the Silk Naturals' ingredient list. As for bentrimonium methosulfate being more of a co-wash, that may be but it's more cleansing than just a co-wash. Though it does also have some coco betaine further down the list, bent meth is the first cleansing ingredient in CJDF, and it's very cleansing except on very heavy silicones/oils/waxes, enough so to be considered a chelating cleanser for mineral deposits, even.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    I was thinking of maybe trying the Curls Brand (Target) Cleanser. Anyone try it and have an opinion??

Stylers-

• curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    I got this one this weekend and have tried it a couple times. I really like it so far. They have a couple others, too, but I didn't look at the ingredients for them.

Jojoba Hemp Conditioning Shampoo

I also use the Organix Vanilla Silk shampoo, but it has glycol in it.

I have had a hard time finding a low-poo that I like. Things that work for others didn't work for me. It's a real trial-and-error process. Hang in there!

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Though it does also have some coco betaine further down the list,
    Woops. I missed the coco bentaine. My bad.
    Target might have travel sizes of the Burt's bees stuff in their natural products aisle (not the conditioner aisle).
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Thanks guys! I have a feeling it really will be just a big trial and error process but I'll post my results in hopes that someone else can benefit from the experiments!:headbang:

Stylers-

pedaheh wrote: »
    Though it does also have some coco betaine further down the list,
    Woops. I missed the coco bentaine. My bad.
    Target might have travel sizes of the Burt's bees stuff in their natural products aisle (not the conditioner aisle).

I meant CJDF has the coco betaine further down the list, not the Silk Naturals - they just otherwise seem like they'd be similar. Time'll tell, I guess!

I wasn't that enamoured of any of the regular Curls products, and I haven't tried any of their Target versions because most here don't seem to be too impressed.

I think I've seen sample sizes of most Burt's Bees hair stuff at Walgreen's . . . .

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Just (like literally 2 seconds ago!!) ordered a sample of the Silks Natural Coconut Argan Cleansing Conditioner. Very excited to try it and if I like it I will definitely be ordering the larger size. I also wanted to try their Protein Repair treatment but that will have to be another day. I'll post my thoughts once I've tried the Conditioner though!! :evil3:

Stylers-

Didn't even notice their protein repair treatment - will have to check it out and see how it compares to SSRPT.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    I got my Silk Naturals coconut argan cleansing conditioner this weekend and tried it for the first time this morning.

- No coconut smell - just a mild, pleasant fragrance - big plus for me!

- No sudsing, but I didn't expect any

- About a tablespoon cleansed my nearly BSL hair and it was kind of oily starting out, so I was afraid it might not clean well enough, but it did.
    (sorry, bullets weren't working properly)

I didn't follow with more as a conditioner as instructed. It felt so well-conditioned that I just sprayed with some SS protein spray then used some regular CJCCCC on very wet hair, re-wet ala SuperSoaker, scrunched w/hands only to get curl going then with a floursack, diffused a few minutes then added a little SSFHG ala Smasters method, clipped the top and air dried.

It's very soft and shiny with luscious curls. There was almost no crunch to scrunch out, yet it's holding well. And my scalp's happy so far. I know it's not something my scalp will allow me to use all the time, but I think it's definitely a keeper.

It's not as deep cleaning as CJDF since it doesn't have the coco betaine, but I find it pretty comparable, and I like that it has less fragrance. Just wish it came in a larger bottle.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • lesliegonnacurllesliegonnacurl Posts: 478Registered Users
    I hope we hear even more about this product.

I can use Daily Fix, but I still get tangles.

I tried Donna Marie shampoo and that was just an absolute nightmare.
    Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

Officially Transitioning since March 2011.
    Last Relaxer September 2010

Got some kind of curly bangs going here! And I think my bangs are all natural!

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file