How often can I do a protein treatment?

KeLynnKeLynn Posts: 182Registered Users
I used Nexxus Emergencee on Friday. I followed with moisturizing shampoo & conditioner (Giovanni) like the bottle instructs. But I felt like my hair had too much moisture, so I used Emergencee again last night and followed with Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo and conditioner (ingredients below). But I STILL feel like I could handle more protein. I'm out of Emergencee but I have something else stashed away (something from Sally's that came in single-use envelopes. Aphogee or generic K-pak, maybe? I'm not at home so I can't check). Would it be totally crazy to do yet another PT in the next few days? The Emergencee package says to use it every 2 weeks but I just feel like my hair is gobbling it up and begging for more.

Here's the low-poo & cond ingredients. I first picked this because it seemed like it had more protein than the products I already had but now that I really look at it, it looks like some oily ingredients are before the proteins in the ingredients list. I guess it didn't even register in my brain that I should check for moisturizers in a volumizing formula. Might this be the problem? I will admit I'm pretty elementary when it comes to ingredients still.

Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Shampoo, Pomegranate & Soy:
Water, Decyl, Lauryl Glucosides (Natural Coconut Oil, Corn, Starch, Sugar Soap Blend), Coco Betaine (Coconut Oil Moisturizer), Honey, Coco Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate (Natural Sunflower, Coconut Oil Soap Blend), Soy Protein, Vegetable Glycerin, Sucrose Ester (Sugar Moisturizer), Betaine (Sugar Beet), Glucose Sugar, Fragrance (Parfum), Pomegranate Extract, Moringa Seed Extract, Soy Amino Acids, Xanthan Gum (Natural Thickener), Citric Acid, Glucose Oxidase, Lactoperoxidase

Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Conditioner, Pomegranate & Soy:
Water, Centrimonium Bromide, Cetearyl Alcohol (Coconut Oil Emulsifier), Vegetable Glycerin, Soy Amino Acids, Honey, Sucrose Ester (Sugar Moisturizer), Marula Oil, Glucose Sugar, Betaine (Sugar Beet), Fragrance (Parfum), Pomegranate Extract, Moringa Seed Extract, Polysorbate 60 (Sugar Emulsifier), Glucose Oxidase, Lactoperoxidase
2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know of several people who have done 2-3 PTs in a week. I'd say go for it if that is what you think your hair wants. Aphogee 2-step is pretty hard hitting, so I'd keep that in mind before deciding to do it. I do know of someone last winter who did 2 aphogee 2-steps in a week.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Coco betaine is a detergent added to boost foaming, not a "oil moisturizer," (where the heck did they come up with that)? I used to love that shampoo. I'm allergic to it, otherwise I'd use it.

I used to use that conditioner too and here's why you feel it's too much moisture: (Ingredients) Water, Centrimonium Bromide, Cetearyl Alcohol (Coconut Oil Emulsifier), Vegetable Glycerin, Soy Amino Acids, Honey, Sucrose Ester (Sugar Moisturizer), Marula Oil, Glucose Sugar, Betaine (Sugar Beet)...
    Centrimonium Bromide is a quaternary ammonium salt, bonds to the hair (cationic) and leaves a film behind to give slip and softness. Cetearyl alcohol isn't quite as tenacious, the oil might also be a problem. You wanted strength and curl holding power from the PT. This might not be the best conditioner to follow up with (too much softening power), or else maybe use just a teeny bit and dilute it so it spreads around.

I'm not super-familiar with products, but you might be better off with a product in which Centrimonium Bromide/Chloride, Behentrimonium Chloride/Methosulfate are lower down on the list.
  • nikskenikske Posts: 556Registered Users
    I do a PT twice a week. My hair, even though it's medium/coarse, does really well on it. My hair is highly porous though, which does play a big part in it. I don't know if someone with normal porosity would do as well as I.
    Wurly 2b/2c/3a Miii - high porosity

event.png

Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
  • KeLynnKeLynn Posts: 182Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    I know of several people who have done 2-3 PTs in a week. I'd say go for it if that is what you think your hair wants. Aphogee 2-step is pretty hard hitting, so I'd keep that in mind before deciding to do it. I do know of someone last winter who did 2 aphogee 2-steps in a week.

Thanks for the warning! I've never used it yet, I was trying to use up my Emergencee (I like it well enough but my shower is overrun with bottles so I'm trying to cut down on how many I have "in rotation" at once!
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Coco betaine is a detergent added to boost foaming, not a "oil moisturizer," (where the heck did they come up with that)? I used to love that shampoo. I'm allergic to it, otherwise I'd use it.

I used to use that conditioner too and here's why you feel it's too much moisture: (Ingredients) Water, Centrimonium Bromide, Cetearyl Alcohol (Coconut Oil Emulsifier), Vegetable Glycerin, Soy Amino Acids, Honey, Sucrose Ester (Sugar Moisturizer), Marula Oil, Glucose Sugar, Betaine (Sugar Beet)...
    Centrimonium Bromide is a quaternary ammonium salt, bonds to the hair (cationic) and leaves a film behind to give slip and softness. Cetearyl alcohol isn't quite as tenacious, the oil might also be a problem. You wanted strength and curl holding power from the PT. This might not be the best conditioner to follow up with (too much softening power), or else maybe use just a teeny bit and dilute it so it spreads around.

I'm not super-familiar with products, but you might be better off with a product in which Centrimonium Bromide/Chloride, Behentrimonium Chloride/Methosulfate are lower down on the list.

I *thought* coco betaine was a detergent, but when I read that I figured I was just going crazy ;-)

Thanks for the note about those ingredients!! Like I said, I am so lost when it comes to ingredients. It's like I read all this information and it just doesn't "stick." I need to start making a list again. I wish I could take a class on this stuff ;-)
    nikske wrote: »
    I do a PT twice a week. My hair, even though it's medium/coarse, does really well on it. My hair is highly porous though, which does play a big part in it. I don't know if someone with normal porosity would do as well as I.

I don't know if it's something my hair could handle forever but right now it has been seeming like it needs protein all the time. I have just been afraid to do it more than every 2 weeks because the actual packages don't seem to encourage it more often. Good to know twice a week isn't a TOTAL no-no, although I know I'll have to pay attention to my hair since it's normal porosity. Thanks!
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file