Let's Talk Toasters!

misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
We are in the market for a toaster. Any recommendations on a good one, preferably a 4-slice toaster?

This one looks nice and the sale price looks good:

img5m.jpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a KitchenAid 4-slice toaster, very similar to the Cuisinart you posted above. I love it. I think any of the top brands will work well. I looked at them all and decided to just go with the one that was on sale at the time.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    I'll have to research KitchenAid toasters.

Maybe I am over-thinking it because we haven't had a traditional toaster in years. We will be replacing an aging toaster oven. The sale price on the Cuisinart one is a bonus and I may have to just buy it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    cylon.png

(explanation for those who are not fans of Battlestar Galactica: the robot Cylons were nicknamed "toasters.")
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    How timely is this thread for me?!! Like you, missp, I have to replace a toaster oven...just this morning discovered the demise of the bottom burners; so, now, I have a broiler oven. I really want another toaster oven, though. We use it daily--multiple times--and it was a lifesaver in summer in terms of avoiding heating up the house with the full-size oven.

Although, Suzen, that would go nicely with all of my stainless appliances....

So, I'll just be over here in the corner, watching...:wave:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've always longed for one of those fancy English Dualit toasters with the attachment for sandwiches, but they are pricey.

Unknown.jpg

I love gadgets.
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    cylon.png

(explanation for those who are not fans of Battlestar Galactica: the robot Cylons were nicknamed "toasters.")

Where do I put the bread???? :toothy5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Ghost Poster~ The kids use the toaster oven more than I do. It's very convenient for them to reheat a slice of pizza or leftovers. I kind of wish I had the counter space for both. I'm still looking and will update the thread when I finally buy something.

ninja dog - I love ALL the Dualit toasters I've seen. I looked at a 4-slice one with the optional sandwich-thingy and it's over $300!!! Good lord! It better make some damn good toast for that kind of money!! :laughing5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I know, I know. I used to try to find them on eBay before I lost confidence in that site, but I was always outbid.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    misspam wrote: »
    We are in the market for a toaster. Any recommendations on a good one, preferably a 4-slice toaster?

I can't tell from the picture but if that's a Cuisinart CPT-190, it's got the highest rating on Consumer Reports. But I read the reviews (only 14) and they were pretty bad. I know that most people don't bother posting reviews unless they're angry, though.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.

I can't tell from the picture but if that's a Cuisinart CPT-190, it's got the highest rating on Consumer Reports. But I read the reviews (only 14) and they were pretty bad. I know that most people don't bother posting reviews unless they're angry, though.

Yes, that's the model. I appreciate the Consumer Reports info. It gets fairly good reviews on Williams-Sonoma. I don't know now. Both KitchenAid and Cuisinart make a more low-tech toaster which I am seriously considering. Both get better reviews than the fancier models.

I got a Bed Bath & Beyond 20% off coupon in the mail yesterday and I am heading up there right now to have a look at what they have. They have quite a big selection, including the ones I'm interested in. It will most likely come down to what they have in stock today. I'll update later if I come back with a new toaster. :)

Here are the 2 that I really want to look at today:

Cuisinart
    2645613119651P.JPG

KitchenAid
    150644126717C.JPG
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ooh! Does the Cuisinart come in different colors?
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Ooh! Does the Cuisinart come in different colors?

I've only seen that particular model in a chrome & brushed chrome finish. A red one would've been cool! :thumbleft:

Here's my new toaster:

IMG_0415-vi.jpg
    IMG_0420-vi.jpg

I love it! My local Bed Bath & Beyond only had the Cuisinart model in stock today, so I wasn't able to see the KitchenAid model. My 20% off coupon brought the price down to $55.99. Woo hoo!

My son made a piece of toast when he got home from school and it toasted very evenly on both sides. I am amazed how quickly it got the job done compared to the toaster oven. The real test will be when my husband toasts an english muffin in the morning. :glasses3:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's very handsome.

Your kitchen is so clean!
    It is handsome, isn't it? I love the retro look. It looks very smart and it fits in that area quite nicely. It's a much smaller footprint than the toaster oven. I didn't plan it, but it goes will with my Cuisinart coffee maker.....:happy2:

Thanks for noticing my clean kitchen. ;-) I am a neat-freak when it comes to my kitchen. I live in there so I like to keep it tidy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I feel like I get flour and bits of dough everywhere.......and there have been a few explosions with the Cuisinart food processor over the years, as well. I'm always wiping and cleaning, but still, there's an "Oh my God! What happened here?" look to things.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Beautiful toaster!

Now that your issue has been resolved, may I hijack your thread to talk about toaster ovens? My toaster is dying and DH is strongly petitioning that we replace it with a toaster oven. My experience with toaster ovens is that while they are handy for reheating pizza, they don't make good toast!

Anyone has a toaster oven they are willing to recommend?

Beautiful toaster!

Now that your issue has been resolved, may I hijack your thread to talk about toaster ovens? My toaster is dying and DH is strongly petitioning that we replace it with a toaster oven. My experience with toaster ovens is that while they are handy for reheating pizza, they don't make good toast!

Anyone has a toaster oven they are willing to recommend?

Hijack away! :happy2:

I agree with you about toaster ovens. I was reminded again how quickly a conventional toaster gets the job done. The toaster oven we had was an Oster that we got at Costco years ago. We did no research before we bought it so I'm afraid I'm not much help. Hopefully you'll get some replies!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I really want a new toaster! I was fine using a toaster oven for years just because I didn't want the extra counter clutter (it makes me twitchy), but DH insisted on a toaster because he was tired of waiting 63 hours for toast to brown in the toaster oven. We bought a fairly cheap toaster at Wal-mart and I hate it, but I like that it toasts quicker. I'd love to have a 4 slice like yours!

And yes, I'm swooning over your toast/coffee area, love. A bread/english muffin basket and a butter crock *swoon*.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    And about toaster ovens, I've had my eye on this one for a while now. It's so purdy and has great reviews and Martha gave them away to her audience one day. Lucky buggers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    cylon.png

Where do I put the bread???? :toothy5:

Uggghhh. I thought you were a skin job but that question just totally blew that theory out of the proverbal water....
    I love when an old thread is bumped.

A year later and we've still got the same crappy toaster and I still dislike it. :lol: I use it every day for breakfast so I should really splurge on a better one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring1onu wrote: »
    I love when an old thread is bumped.

A year later and we've still got the same crappy toaster and I still dislike it. :lol: I use it every day for breakfast so I should really splurge on a better one.

That's me! Bumping old threads. I have a toaster that is only 2 years old and it's a four slice and it's in perfect condition but.... I want a newer one that's black and stainless steel, 8 slice and self-cleaning. I've taken to toasting things in the oven lately.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How is a toaster self-clearning? What happens to the crumbs?

If there is one that somehow dispenses with crumbs on the bottom, I'll buy it!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    curlypearl wrote: »
    How is a toaster self-clearning? What happens to the crumbs?

If there is one that somehow dispenses with crumbs on the bottom, I'll buy it!

My current toaster has a removable tray from the bottom. All you need to do is pull it out and empty it in the trash. Very easy and keeps the inside clean.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file