Experienced Help! I have no idea what I did

I posted yesterday about frizzing with GFTN....

I've been doing CG for almost 6 weeks with no problems. 2 weeks ago I started using GFTN and it was fine until a couple of days ago...but it gradually started frizzing getting worse and worse so I thought it could be the oils in the GFTN. Yesterday I switched to Yes to Tomatoes (my sister had some on hand) and did an ACV rinse...not any better. Before GFTN I used LVPHG but noticed a cone so I switched.

Today I decided to do a PT (egg, mayo Olive Oil) so I did that,cowashed and did my Yes to Tomatoes and a honey treatment for about 30 minutes after.

WORST ITS EVER LOOKED. Frizz is the all over my head What in the world did I do?

As far as I knew GFTN had no protein so I didn't think it could be a protein sensitivy..Gio Direct has a little from what I know but after the PT the frizz is crazy and my hair feels hard...its not even dry yet! I noticed right after I rinsed the last time that it was gonna freak out.

Here's what other things I've been using for about a month:
Suave Aloe and Waterlilly for cowash (every 3 days or so
Giovanni Direct for Leave in (pea size amounts)
AG Recoil (pea size also)
LALSG mixed with a little BRHG

I want my hair back :( No idea where to go from here, what to cut out or what to change.
Trying to figure out and maintain protein/ moisture balance
Low sulphates, no silicones Nov 2011

Cleansing: Dove Cool Moisture
RO: AO GPB, Tresseme Naturals, YTT
Stylers- CK, BRHG, AG Re:coil, CJPP, KCCC, HETT mousse

2nd day hair- Paul Mitchell Mousse scrunched in

Easily weighed down, tendency to get OC'd

2c/3a with some curls in there/Med to fine Texture/ Normal Porosity/ Normal Elasticity

Comments

• JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    Re:coil (which I love in the summer) does give me some buildup. I have to wash it out with CJ Daily Fix or a low-poo. Are you using it every day?
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • EmbracingItEmbracingIt Registered Users Posts: 85
    I have been using it every day...always after Gio Direct Leave in so I thought that would be enough to not be drying. I didn't notice dryness so much as the crazy frizz and then hair just gettimg more coarse..I tend to now think maybe protein but I didn't think I was harldy using an protein to begin with.

So confused...

2c/3a with some curls in there/Med to fine Texture/ Normal Porosity/ Normal Elasticity
  • JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    LinzHope24 wrote: »
    I have been using it every day...always after Gio Direct Leave in so I thought that would be enough to not be drying. I didn't notice dryness so much as the crazy frizz and then hair just gettimg more coarse..I tend to now think maybe protein but I didn't think I was harldy using an protein to begin with.

So confused...

I was using it daily as well, but it did not give me dryness. It just caused some buildup that I could feel wasn't rinsing out. Can you use a low-poo to see if that helps?
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
    I hadn't been feeling any buildup before the frizz.My hair felt great :( And it was starting to really look good and then Boom-crazy frizz. My hair is naturally not frizzy at all.

If I tried a low poo- how would I know which conditioner to use now since the GFTN seemed bad, and now I'm clueless.

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Just a guess. GDLI and LALSG both have protein. Maybe this is too much protein to leave on your hair every day. Don't know why the GFTN would make it worse. But if your hair had too much protein, eggs in the PT would make it worse.
    If the problem is the oils in the GFTN, the oil and mayo in the PT would make that problem worse.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    hmmm ok. So how do I get my hair back in balance? Should I do a real deep DT or just try cutting out the Giovanni Direct and not use much LALSG and see what happens?

Should I do a DT? Since what I did last night was just my rinse out with some extra honey left on for awhile. I did notice it was extremely hard and a ton more frizzy last night before I even got to the GIo Direct.

I guess I just don't know what route to go first.

I have now been two washed without GFTN and it wasn't any better..got worse so I guess it could be the protein.The only other thing I use on and off is KCCC, that doesn't have protein though right?
    Thank you so much for your help!

For me, too many oils means producty frizz. Quote is from this link.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/10134-masterpost-types-frizz.html
    Producty Frizz--Where there is fake shine and frizz, there's producty frizz, a type of frizz that looks like a layer of product is on the hair but not acting to prevent the frizz. Often, this makes the frizz more apparent, even when it's less intense than with other products. Castor oil and heavy use of silicones are common causes of this type of frizz
    My hair looks oily, wet when dry, coated, and I get frizz that looks like someone rubbed my hair with a balloon.
    With too much protein, hair feels hard when wet. I can't remember the other symptoms. With my hair, it gets straighter.
    Hopefully one of those descriptions rings a bell.

Links on diagnosing hair
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/108115-learning-read-your-hair.html
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/117985-how-do-you-gauge-your-hairs-condition.html
    The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards - Whats wrong with my hair? Hair Diagnostic Tips
    Page 5 of this link
    The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com
    Pics of hair with too much protein
    Protein vs Moisture « Pittsburgh Curly
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    I tend to think its the oil issue...I think I might go that route first but what conditioners should I use to avoid that if it was the problem.

Obviously I stopped using the GFTN.

I basically just clarified this morning and then using the Yes to Tomatoes with no gel or anything else and there are clumps of curls that just dried right away. I'm thinking moisture is key right now but no oil? Does that sound right? Any ideas on what to use?

Also, its so weird..as I sit here airdrying (thankfully I have nowhere to go today) there are chunks of my air that already dry and then others that are dripping wet.

What in the world.

haha- ok now after some more thought and deductive reasoning I think its protein...

SORRY for being so annoying.

Pedaheh-The Pittsburgh Curly blog was very helpful.

My hair actually looks like those pictures of too much protein.

#1, my hair is coarse to begin with so I probably didn't need much protein anyway.
    I realized that a couple days ago I started using a ton more gel (doing smasters method) and it was always LALSG. And maybe it just was a tad too much protein with the Gio Leave in.

If I cut Gio Leave in, used more KCCC for hold and just a lot smaller amount of LALSG should it help? And I guess still try GFTN since its a protein free condish? Maybe use a little more of that for a leave in?

Does that sound right?

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Registered Users Posts: 895 Curl Novice
    I can't use ANYTHING for that long. Not that I use stuff that causes build-up. But, my hair just starts acting weird (like frizzing or feeling producty or heavy). I change up my routine all the time. Sometimes, the longest I'll use one combo is 3 days before I change to something else. I just can't imagine only doing one routine all the time! I'd go NUTS! LOL!
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • CheetaraCheetara Registered Users Posts: 2,182 Curl Neophyte
    You cowash exclusively? I think you might need to clarify with a low or regular shampoo.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Yes for about 5-6 weeks since starting this I haven't used anything but cowash and rinse out. I didn't think I needed to poo because I wasn't using anything that builds up but today I used Suave Clarifying bc I didn't know what else to do. I did do a few baking soda/acv but felt those were worse than the sulphates almost!

Can you recommend a good low poo I can find on ground...or is it not too harsh if I only use that Suave Clarifying every once in a while? I guess I'm wondering how anyone does full CG all the time without every using anything but cowash?

Racerwife- I definitely was planning on switching up routines once I felt like I knew enough with this whole CG thing. But I hate wasting money on stuff I won't use again so I was just trying to find ONE routine that worked :)

I did, for awhile! ha Hopefully its the protein like I'm thinking.

Racerwife- I definitely was planning on switching up routines once I felt like I knew enough with this whole CG thing. But I hate wasting money on stuff I won't use again so I was just trying to find ONE routine that worked :)

I did, for awhile! ha Hopefully its the protein like I'm thinking.

Most all of my money-wasting days came before I had my curl analysis and product recommendations done. Once I had that done, it was a whole new world for me as far as money saving (because I wasn't wasting $$ on stuff that wasn't going to work on my hair). The product recommendations in the Curl Wizard profile were right on target - every one of them has worked for me very well. So, if you haven't had that done, I'd say it's worth the $20. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • queenofdisks80queenofdisks80 Registered Users Posts: 155
    I did something very similar to my hair when I first started CG (although I'm more of a modified CG). My hair turned to straw, hard w/ a layer of frizz and like Pippi Longstockings! The first step you've done-shampoo it all out w/ a clarifying poo. You really shouldn't have to do this again since now you know your mistake. For the next few days, weeks, months (however long it takes) try to avoid any proteins and do multiple moisturizing DTs. When your hair returns to normal, then you can add in a few ingredients w/ protein (like maybe a gel) but you will find over time which proteins you can tolerate (check out the protein sensitivity thread here). You should also be able to now go back to a low-poo or no-poo routine.

As for products, I also use the Suave naturals co-wash-protein free and works great for me. A lot of protein sensitive curlies (myself included) swear by the Biolage matrix conditioning balm. Both Sally's and Walgreens sell a knock-off for $5-7. It does have paraben but no cones or proteins and the hydration is amazing (I'm course and quite porous).

You just need a lot of hydration right now. Honey is amazing, but be sure the humidity isn't too high outside and also check the porosity of your hair.

Now, go forth and DT!
    3b/3c at nape/a little 3a on the sides, med-course, high porosity, colored.
    Protein sensitive, hard water.

spritz and condish
    low-poo: shea moisture, Y to Cucs (clarifying)
    RO: CJ A&OO, CJSL,GVPCB
    LI: CJ A&OO, CJCR
    DT:CJCR, GVPCB+evoo&honey
    stylers: FSG, SM Curl & Style Milk, CJCCCL, CJCIAB & Biolage gelee
    refresher:CJSL, CJCCCL, Lustrasilk OO
    PT: Sally's K-Pak, AO GPB
    Oh BTW, I find that I don't need to change my routine due to product build up or hair-boredom. I do tweek it now and then based on the season (read up about how dewpoints and humidity affect your hair). Other than that my routine is pretty stable.

spritz and condish
    RacerWife- I've been debating that curl analysis, I think you just conviced me ;)

queenofdisks- Thanks so much for that info! I had that Biolage knockoff on my list and it was BOGO at Walgreens, wahoo.

As far as hold, I know my KCCC is fine but I really need a hard hold. Do you think it would really mess me up if I used a TAD of BRHG? I don't usually use more than a pea size of it anyway...most of my gel was LALSG and I used a ton! I searched Walgreens tonight for a protein free gel.

Or if I just used more KCCC it would be enough hold?

I love BRHG :(

Yes for about 5-6 weeks since starting this I haven't used anything but cowash and rinse out. I didn't think I needed to poo because I wasn't using anything that builds up but today I used Suave Clarifying bc I didn't know what else to do. I did do a few baking soda/acv but felt those were worse than the sulphates almost!

Can you recommend a good low poo I can find on ground...or is it not too harsh if I only use that Suave Clarifying every once in a while? I guess I'm wondering how anyone does full CG all the time without every using anything but cowash?
    I cowashed exclusively for the first 6 weeks-ish with great results. At that point my hair started to look oily, heavy, wet when dry. I wasn't using anything that would cause build up either. I jokingly called it "conditioner cling". A low poo fixed it. As time went on, I found I needed to use a low poo more and more often. I use a lowpoo on a regular basis now.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Before GFTN I used LVPHG but noticed a cone so I switched.

Do you mean that the other conditioner that you were using prior to GFTN as part of your CG routine had a 'cone in it? If so, that could be part of the problem. If you leave silicones on your hair, they seal out all moisture, build up on your hair, and cause lots and lots of frizz. I mistakenly used a sulfate shampoo with 'cones in it for my final sulfate wash, and it was frizz and grease city for me, until I clarified with another sulfate wash (this time with no 'cones!). Things started looking better after that.

Also, I agree that the protein is probably causing you lots of extra problems, too. Us coarse-haired curlies don't need much protein, so even things with amino acids in them like LALSG aren't too great for our hair. I don't like that gel, either... :thumbup:

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    RacerWife- I've been debating that curl analysis, I think you just conviced me ;)

queenofdisks- Thanks so much for that info! I had that Biolage knockoff on my list and it was BOGO at Walgreens, wahoo.

As far as hold, I know my KCCC is fine but I really need a hard hold. Do you think it would really mess me up if I used a TAD of BRHG? I don't usually use more than a pea size of it anyway...most of my gel was LALSG and I used a ton! I searched Walgreens tonight for a protein free gel.

ooh! BOGO! I'll have to check my local Walgreens to see if they have that deal running. I haven't tried BRHG, but it's on my list b/c it's protein free. Yet another reason to go to Walgreens as that's the only store in my area that carries it. I'm currently using the Ouidad Climate Control, which does have protein in it, but it's about the only thing w/ protein in my line up and my hair is back to normal now (it took about a month to really bounce back!)

spritz and condish
    queenofdisks-How long did it take your hair to get back to "normal"

wavynwild- Yes that was in the first week or so I quit the LVPHG...I can't remember if I did a sulphate wash after or not, maybe just a BS/ACV. My hair really looked good around then though! Go figure.

Pedaheh-I'm gonna pick up a low poo probably, do you just have to use it once a week or less often? Also how often do you cowash now with using that?

Thank you all so much for your help! This has been a nightmare!

BRHG has Hydrolized Silk as number 5 on the list...I do remember hearing people didn't have a problem with it because it was silk I guess, and that they use so little of it.

queenofdisks-How long did it take your hair to get back to "normal"
    QUOTE]

After the wash w/ a sulfate shampoo and a DT my hair immediately felt better, but was still dry (think dehydrated, not that stiff starchy feel) and the curl pattern was off. I probably DT'd twice a week or more for a couple of weeks and I'd say after about a month my hair seemed to have recovered.

I also low-poo about once every 2 weeks, but I'm thinking of doing it weekly now that I'm swimming twice a week. We'll see. I've experimented w/ a few, but keep going back to Giovanni 50/50. It's not amazing, but my hair doesn't get that straw, tangly feel like after the other poos I've tried. It's about $7 at the health food store, but I bought a huge bottle at T.J. Max for $12 (pure luck). Ultimately I'd like to find something more moisturizing, but the 50/50 I suppose is good for removing the chlorine and the harsh minerals in my local water supply. It doesn't really have protein, but it has Aloe, which some protein sens. curlies can't handle (my hair loves it!) and it has Nettle and Coltsfoot way down on the list that I know have also been a problem for some. But no hydrolyzed blah blah blah protein!!!

spritz and condish
    BRHG has Hydrolized Silk as number 5 on the list...I do remember hearing people didn't have a problem with it because it was silk I guess, and that they use so little of it.

huh? Well it certainly has a lot of fans over on the protein sensitive board, so maybe it's in a more tolerable form? Would have to go over there and re-read the posts, but I know it was on my radar b/c of the positive reviews on that thread.

spritz and condish

YAY for you! I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. ;) On the subject of KCCC, I use no leave-in, no curl creme, and JUST KCCC and get tons of hold. I have a lot of crunch once I diffuse. But, once I SOTC, I still have the hold - it doesn't flop or lose curl or get frizzy. KCCC is awesome! (I can't believe I'm saying that, either - about 3 months ago, I couldn't get it to work right for me. LOL!) I apply it to dripping wet hair and use a LOT of it. Once I get it all in, I scrunch out the excess water first with my hands, and then with my Curls Like Us cloth. Then, I diffuse on low with my bowl diffuser and I get great hold/great curl. Maybe you aren't using enough.
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
    Pedaheh-I'm gonna pick up a low poo probably, do you just have to use it once a week or less often? Also how often do you cowash now with using that?
    I low poo twice a month in the winter and once a week in the summer. I cowash every other day. When I first started using a low poo, I used it about once a month.
    Keep reminding me this could take awhile to recover from. Yikes- bad hair for almost a week.

However since Monday the Biolage Knockoff has been awesome...my hair FEELS a ton better I just still have that ugly spidery frizz I've never had. I guess that is what takes awhile to go away?

Also, I'm thinking of doing a DT tonight...can I just use the Biolage with maybe some olive oil added in? Or is there something else that would be better? Also would it would be good to cowash before or after?

I have a huge shower I'm hosting this weekend with people I haven't seen in a loooong time and with my hair like this it will mostly be back or up :(

NOT GIVING UP THOUGH!

• babyjack00babyjack00 Registered Users Posts: 4
    pedaheh wrote: »

Thank you Pedaheh for the last link showing the pics of too much protein vs not enough... I've been struggling as a fairly new CG (Dec 2010) and wondering if I needed protein... but was scared. Now that last pic totally matched my prob and I'm off to try a PT recipe.
    Thank you SO much!!

Me in a nutshell:
    Type: 3b/3c permanently dyed (grey coverage)
    Norm porosity, fine and thin.
    CG since 12/10

Still looking for my HG.
    babyjack00 wrote: »
    pedaheh wrote: »

Thank you Pedaheh for the last link showing the pics of too much protein vs not enough... I've been struggling as a fairly new CG (Dec 2010) and wondering if I needed protein... but was scared. Now that last pic totally matched my prob and I'm off to try a PT recipe.
    Thank you SO much!!
    YW.:glasses3:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file