getting product up to the roots

j0cmckj0cmck Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
In the shower I usually rinse my conditioner while my head is upside down, then leave it upside down as I scrunch in all my products then plop. I'm finding though that the product doesn't get to my roots, and then I end up with a bunch of strands separate at the roots, that come together into a curl about an inch and a half down (I'm not sure that made any sense... haha)
Today I tried the same thing but raking the products through and then scrunching when all was said and done. My hair is still damp, but the root problem seems to be fixed however my clumps are a lot smaller which I figured would happen due to the raking.

Does anyone have a better method of getting product up into the root without breaking up your clumps?
Type: 2b but starting to see some 3a pieces in there! medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity, easily weighed down
Low Poo: Nature Clean Herbal Shampoo
Co-Wash: Giovanni Tea Tree
Rinse Out: Giovanni Smooth as Silk
Styling Products: Biotera Curl Cream and Gel, experimenting with FSG

Comments

• LightWavesLightWaves Posts: 114Registered Users
    I've been experimenting a lot lately with various application methods - I've found the best way to get product closer to my roots is to comb it through with a wide-tooth comb before scrunching. This distributes the product better than raking with my fingers, and if I do it when my hair is wet enough then I don't really notice a difference in wave formation between raking and combing. I also don't need a ton of product on my roots because I'll get the greasy look pretty easily, so I'll apply the product mostly to my length, then comb through to kind of push the product up to my roots instead of applying directly to to the roots, if that makes sense.:confused3:

All that being said, I've been having major wave issues recently so who knows haha... In all honesty, though, back when I was having a much better time with my hair I did the combing thing and it didn't destroy my wave pattern at all, so it's worth a shot! HTH
    2a/2b/2c - I've experienced them all :iconbiggrin:

Still not sure about porosity/protein... my hair takes forever to dry & products often weigh it down, but I like protein. Thus I'm confused.

LowPoo: Mastey Traite
    Cowash: Burt's Bees Super Shiny, Trader Joe's TTT
    DT: Sevi Pumpkin Conditioner
    Styling: FSG, Pantene Curls Mousse, SS FHG, AO B5 Design Gel, Giovanni Mousse
    PT: Nexus Emergencee, AO GBP
    Styling Methods: Plopping, diffusing
  • ththdththd Posts: 306Registered Users Curl Novice
    I find that if rake or comb anything into my hair it breaks it up and I lose my curl. My hair gets weighed down easily. If I just scrunch it in I have your issue...no root coverage. I'm hoping for some tips here too. My hair is so long it's hard to scrunch to the roots, pretty much impossible!
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • LightWavesLightWaves Posts: 114Registered Users
    Just remembered a suggestion from the hair guy on What Not to Wear... what if you try to scrunch in product but let the lengths of your hair fall through your fingers and kind of scrunch product into your roots? So instead of scrunching by catching the ends of your hair and scooping up, just kind of scoop up the upper length and then go to work on the ends?

Sorry if that makes no sense- I have a mental image but that doesn't help much :goofy:
    2a/2b/2c - I've experienced them all :iconbiggrin:

Still not sure about porosity/protein... my hair takes forever to dry & products often weigh it down, but I like protein. Thus I'm confused.

LowPoo: Mastey Traite
    Cowash: Burt's Bees Super Shiny, Trader Joe's TTT
    DT: Sevi Pumpkin Conditioner
    Styling: FSG, Pantene Curls Mousse, SS FHG, AO B5 Design Gel, Giovanni Mousse
    PT: Nexus Emergencee, AO GBP
    Styling Methods: Plopping, diffusing
  • j0cmckj0cmck Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I get it.. haha. And will definitely be trying that tomorrow, thank you!
    Type: 2b but starting to see some 3a pieces in there! medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity, easily weighed down
    Low Poo: Nature Clean Herbal Shampoo
    Co-Wash: Giovanni Tea Tree
    Rinse Out: Giovanni Smooth as Silk
    Styling Products: Biotera Curl Cream and Gel, experimenting with FSG
  • ththdththd Posts: 306Registered Users Curl Novice
    I will try it also!
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file