Newb, not sure of type...please help.

mcrachelmcrachel Posts: 18Registered Users
Hello! I've lurked for quite a while, but I don't think I've ever posted...anyways, my avatar is the back of my head. I'm not exactly sure what I am. My hair is kind of lazy, and product and drying methods seem to be key in determining how curly it looks. I have a layer underneath that is very coarse and draws up more than the rest of my hair, which tends to make the ends look thin. I typically have to add extra moisture to just that part, and I have my stylist leave it quite a bit longer than the rest of my hair to accommodate. I am guessing that I'm a 2b?
As I've gotten older (and relocated) my hair is much less curly and less thick than it was when I was in my 20's. I have to work a little harder to get a nice curl pattern going and lately clumps have eluded me. I'm looking for a hair twin so I can make an educated guess as to which products I should try. So I'm asking the experts, what type curl pattern does this look like to you?
2a, Lazy hair. Takes a little work to make it curly or straight.
Colored
Fine hair, not a lot of it.

Comments

• ValcurlValcurl Posts: 300Registered Users
    2b-2c? maybe. do you have layers?
    Curl Pattern:2b Texture: medium
    Porosity: med to high Density: med Elasticity: normal
    Lowpoo: (2x/wk) Shea moisture retention/ Mop C
    Cowash: Mop C/ AHRC
    Deep cond: Darcy's pumpkin seed condish/ SS deep
    Leave in: CJ curl assurance condish
    Stylers: SS CEJ, CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Hair hates: JC rockin' ringlets/CJ CIAB/AG recoil
    Hair loves: super soaking/ protein/ ACV rinses
    mod CG since 7/09 :love7:
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's hard to tell with the small picture, but I'd guess it at 2c, especially since you said curlier and coarser underneath.

Good luck, I think you are in the right place - wavy of some sort - and there is a lot of knowledge in the 2 board since we're all thrown together!
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mcrachel wrote: »
    Hello! I've lurked for quite a while, but I don't think I've ever posted...anyways, my avatar is the back of my head. I'm not exactly sure what I am. My hair is kind of lazy, and product and drying methods seem to be key in determining how curly it looks. I have a layer underneath that is very coarse and draws up more than the rest of my hair, which tends to make the ends look thin. I typically have to add extra moisture to just that part, and I have my stylist leave it quite a bit longer than the rest of my hair to accommodate. I am guessing that I'm a 2b?
    As I've gotten older (and relocated) my hair is much less curly and less thick than it was when I was in my 20's. I have to work a little harder to get a nice curl pattern going and lately clumps have eluded me. I'm looking for a hair twin so I can make an educated guess as to which products I should try. So I'm asking the experts, what type curl pattern does this look like to you?

The key to finding the right products is not curl pattern. It's your hair's unique properties: texture, porosity, and density.

Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!: My 2 cents on Protein/Texture/Porosity/Moisture Balance! :-)
  • mcrachelmcrachel Posts: 18Registered Users
    Saila wrote: »
    mcrachel wrote: »

The key to finding the right products is not curl pattern. It's your hair's unique properties: texture, porosity, and density.

Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!: My 2 cents on Protein/Texture/Porosity/Moisture Balance! :-)
    My hair is fine, still trying to determine porosity, since I just recently got highlights (sort of. Should have gone a bit lighter, but my stylist and I tend to err on the side of caution). I do not have a lot of hair. I would say it is on the medium to thin side. I know that I do not do well with any type of salts. Beach sprays are a big no-no for me, and Epsom salt as a curl enhancer makes my hair feel like straw.

Thanks for the input everyone.
    Colored
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Since your hair is fine, try protein. Fine hair tends to like protein no matter what the porosity. Protein treatments, followed by deep treatments work for fine hair.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Saila, I read your blog. Very helpful. I am normal porosity, fine hair, probably a 4? Definitely on the medium to thin side.
    Maybe the attached picture will be easier to see. This is a typical day for me.
    I had some luck with Curl keeper and silk protein leave in mixed with L'oreal's Tightly Wound spray gel, but not consistently. I really hate crunchy spaghetti hair. I'd rather the curls even be looser to keep from having that wet look to them.
    Colored
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Does scrunching out the crunch work for you? When your hair is completely dry, squeeze it in your hands repeatedly to remove the gel cast. This gets rid of the hard, crunchy look.
    If by spaghetti hair you mean that there are few hairs that compose each individual curl, try the ice queen method or the super soaker method. These help to form bigger clumps, more hairs in each curl.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html#post1458132
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    I have actually tried some of those methods, which is why I thought maybe it was a product combo problem. I'll keep reading. But for classification looks like 2b? I read the CG handbook and I thought probably s'wavy.
    Colored

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file