Shea Moisture Deep Treatment

ValcurlValcurl Posts: 300Registered Users
Tried this product out a couple times after buying at Target and was disappointed. Very little slip or detangling for my 2b hair type. Felt heavy and producty, but not well moisturized. Fortunately Target allows you to return used products for a refund!
Curl Pattern:2b Texture: medium
Porosity: med to high Density: med Elasticity: normal
Lowpoo: (2x/wk) Shea moisture retention/ Mop C
Cowash: Mop C/ AHRC
Deep cond: Darcy's pumpkin seed condish/ SS deep
Leave in: CJ curl assurance condish
Stylers: SS CEJ, CJ Aloe Fix Lite
Hair hates: JC rockin' ringlets/CJ CIAB/AG recoil
Hair loves: super soaking/ protein/ ACV rinses
mod CG since 7/09 :love7:

Comments

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    It could've been because it's like Shea Butter based and I've heard a few wurlies having bad experiences with it, because it's just too heavy for their hair.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • ValcurlValcurl Posts: 300Registered Users
    It could've been because it's like Shea Butter based and I've heard a few wurlies having bad experiences with it, because it's just too heavy for their hair.

This is possible. I've used other products with shea butter, but something about this one was different. Had no detangling effect at all on my hair. No slip. I do believe this line is meant for more coarse hair though. Thanks for the feedback!
    Curl Pattern:2b Texture: medium
    Porosity: med to high Density: med Elasticity: normal
    Lowpoo: (2x/wk) Shea moisture retention/ Mop C
    Cowash: Mop C/ AHRC
    Deep cond: Darcy's pumpkin seed condish/ SS deep
    Leave in: CJ curl assurance condish
    Stylers: SS CEJ, CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Hair hates: JC rockin' ringlets/CJ CIAB/AG recoil
    Hair loves: super soaking/ protein/ ACV rinses
    mod CG since 7/09 :love7:
  • teachermrwteachermrw Posts: 269Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque for the first time this evening. Although I didn't find my hair to be especially soft, I didn't find it to be especially hard, either. Actually, it was a combination of the two. Following the treatment, I applied some of the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Conditioning Milk as a leave-in. I did notice that I combed out very little hair, and had virtually no shedding, which I attributed to the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque. So, this leads be to think that this product provides both moisture and strength to the hair.
    Your hair is your most important accessory.

event.png
  • wavyonewavyone Posts: 219Registered Users
    I happen to love this as a DT, but have to leave it in at least 30 minutes, if not overnight.
    2a or b, highlighted, fine hair but lots of it
    Modified CG since 6/11

Low Poo: CJ Daily Fix
    Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
    Rinse Out: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner or Deva One C
    DT: CJ Rehab
    Stylers: Deva Heaven in Hair as a Leave-in, followed by Arc Angel
    SOTC: CJ CIAB
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Valcurl wrote: »
    Tried this product out a couple times after buying at Target and was disappointed. Very little slip or detangling for my 2b hair type. Felt heavy and producty, but not well moisturized. Fortunately Target allows you to return used products for a refund!

My hair is a bit curlier and med-coarse so I don't mind heavy products but I agree, not as much slip or moisturizing as I would like. I've been mixing it with GVP conditioning balm to give me that slip and silky feeling I like. I also find it works better when I follow it up with the shea moisture smoothie as my leave in. I didn't think I could return an open product to Target so I'm trying to make it work!
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
  • kinkycurlyDTkinkycurlyDT Posts: 380Registered Users
    IMO, I think that the deep treatment masque is meant for thicker hair types. It is indeed very heavy and if your hair is thin or finer type then it may also make it greasy. Slot of the Shea moisture products have thicker consistencies except for the curl& style milk. The shampoos I think can be used for any hair types, thick, thin, fine, coarse, low porosity or high porosity.
  • NLuvWithCurlzNLuvWithCurlz Posts: 99Registered Users
    I use this as a leave in and I lovvvveee it. I use mixed silk underneath and kim kimble curl revitalizer on top

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App
    FIERCE LOVE AND CURLS
  • steph35steph35 Posts: 176Registered Users
    The Shea Moisure DTM is verrah moody, no? I looooove the smell and the consistency, and used it for two months straight for detangling and as a leave in. My hair was parched for moisture but I overdid it...when my hair was dry it became strawlike, curly still but the hay wouldn't let the curls pop.

Today I used it to finger detangle with but rinsed it out with an ACV rinse and I am all the better for it. Good thing, because I was afraid to be protein sensitive.....

Before you return it, maybe use it another way?
    french/black american 3b/3c/4a hair; fine n crrrrrrly
    'poo~ SheaMoisture C 'n' H (pink label)
    rinse out/leave in conditioner~ Tresemme Moisture,GVP Balm, Suave Shea and Almond
    Deep Con and Detangling~ Mixed Silk,Elasta QP (now with olive oil!)
    Stylers/Oils~ SheaMoisture DTM, Africa's Best Herbal Oil, ,Grapeseed oil/Tresemme Thermal Spray (great for diffusing/heat) all shea oils

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file