Anyone done volunteer work abroad?

kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
My dad mentioned maybe I should do some sort of volunteer program working with lions/cats -seeing how job hunt going nowhere.

(Not sure he realizes how expensive it is though!)

Anyone else done anything like this? There are a couple that look amazing - working with lions and tigers (I know tigers in South Africa!), lion cubs, cheetahs etc. Just wondering if anyone has done anything like this before?

Comments

• webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I worked on an archeology site in Nevis. I didn't work that much and I didn't learn that much either.

And it was a bit pricey.
    hello.world.
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    Does it have to be abroad? Why not volunteer at your local animal shelter, animal rescue group, aquarium, zoo, etc if its animals that you're interested in?
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    There's also Americorps (which is on the chopping block in congress, but what else is new) which will give you a modest stipend and money towards college.

You can do a new program called Food Corps Home
    which helps build community gardens and gardens in schools and other sorts of local food activities.

This just got started I believe this year, so there's always a risk of crappy administration with a new program.

I was an americorps VISTA and I enjoyed my time.
    hello.world.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Does it have to be abroad? Why not volunteer at your local animal shelter, animal rescue group, aquarium, zoo, etc if its animals that you're interested in?

Im interested in seeing the big cats/cubs. And to get away - out of this country lol

Its more for the experience - something different.
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Why don't you apply to the VSO?
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
    Thats one of the sites I've been looking at :)
  • nikskenikske Posts: 556Registered Users
    I did some volunteer work abroad. You have to keep in mind though that even if they do provide food/housing, most of your other expenses will not be covered. So it may end up costing you quite a bit, which is fine if you have the funds, not so good if you don't.
    Wurly 2b/2c/3a Miii - high porosity

event.png

Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
    Yeah - plus flights as well and any general spending money. I think its something I would like to do - but I think going to have to wait a while. Im sure it would look great on a CV lol - but as with everything, it comes down to funds.
  • Trixie1979Trixie1979 Posts: 364Registered Users
    Something like that sounds awesome!! I too am job hunting....it's been 5 months of it and I have nothing! Where abouts in the UK are you. I'm kind of between Cambridge and Peterborough.....
    p6d5w.gif

6y2v5.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file