Over-producty hair = frizz and fake shine?

wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
Every time I put LI and too much product in my hair, it gets this plastic-y, fake-looking shine, and I also get lots of frizz that almost looks unnatural. I think I get it more when I use LALSG, but I'm not sure. I was just wondering if anyone else gets product-induced frizz. Some days it's there, and some days it isn't, so I've ruled out OC'd hair or under-moisturized locks. It's only there with a fake shine and too much product. Maybe it's my LI? I don't remember getting hair like this when I just used gel. It isn't too terrible-looking, but it just bugs me. How about you guys? How do you know how much product to put in before your hair goes on product overload?
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I do. I can't use LI's and if I use too much product it's terrible. I've become much more laid back about my hair....a little frizz is to be expected, but product induced frizz drives me nutz.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Yes, it depends on the product. I think this happens when I use too much aloe.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "Sticky" gels give me frizz. I don't remember what LALSG was like but I know HESMU gave me terrible frizz.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This link
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/10134-masterpost-types-frizz.html
    calls it producty frizz
    :arrow: Producty Frizz--Where there is fake shine and frizz, there's producty frizz, a type of frizz that looks like a layer of product is on the hair but not acting to prevent the frizz. Often, this makes the frizz more apparent, even when it's less intense than with other products. Castor oil and heavy use of silicones are common causes of this type of frizz.

I affectionately call it balloon head. I get hair that looks coated, wet when dry, and frizz that looks like I rubbed my head with a balloon. I get this from more products then I can count. Product ingredients that cause this for me are shea butter, aloe, and jojoba. Also products with too much oil will do it to me. Some products without these ingredients will randomly cause it.:evil2:
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This definitely happened to me when I was using too much LI. Gels don't cause this for me.
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    When I use too much of a moisturizing product, I get the same thing.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Thanks, guys! I guess I will cut down on the amount of leave-in I use, even though it's hardly any to begin with!

Pedaheh -- your description of how your hair looks with producty frizz was spot on! This is how my hair looked today, yesterday, and the day before. Not too attractive!

I don't like the LALSG much. The protein is killing my hair, and it makes my hair kinda stringy. I hope I can use it up soon! :p I have yet to find a gel that I actually like!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file