curl wizard analysis

piratecurlpiratecurl Registered Users Posts: 104 Curl Novice
I was just reading in the low porosity section about the curl wizard. Two people on that board thought it was worthwhile and since I have been confused about my hair for 2 years now I am considering it. I wanted to get some additional feedback from others that have tried it. If you have please let me know if it has been helpful. Thanks and sorry for the long post.:pirate:

Comments

• MissCurlGirlMissCurlGirl Registered Users Posts: 141
    I found both the hair analysis and curl wizard product recomendations helpful. I always thought I had porus hair, but my analysis said I was normal. I have tried several products that were recommended by curl wizard and all have worked for me so far. Hope that helps.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/JewelryCreations
    Hair Type: 3A/3B, Texture Fine, Thin, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity
    Shampoo: DevaCurl NoPoo, CJ DF
    Conditioner: DevaCurl OneC, CJ CF, CJ BSC, CJAO
    Leave-In: CJ BCLI, CJ Hubiscus & Banana Honey Butta
    Styling: CIAB, AG:recoil, CJ CCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG, DevaCurl AnGel, BRHG, CJ CQG, Komaza Coconut products, Curls products
    Finishing: CHS Tweek, SS Emollience
    DT & PT: DevaCurl Heaven in Hair, SS DD, CJ RM!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Registered Users Posts: 895 Curl Novice
    Curl Wizard (the premium profile which includes the hair analysis) was the best thing I did since going CG. Before having my analysis done, I was SO confused and didn't know what my hair needed and didn't need. Everything I tried was incorrect. Having the Curl Wizard profile done pointed me in the right direction and really helped me find the right products for me. I've tried just about ALL the items on my recommendation list and every one of them has been great for me. ...It almost makes me feel like I can use just about anything. :lol: Of course, that's wrong. But, at least it makes me feel successful with products rather than like I'm fighting a losing battle. IMO, the Curl Wizard Premium Profile is WELL worth the $$ and then some.

...All I can think of is how much $$ I SAVED by knowing which products to avoid! I no longer have stuff sitting around unused. The things I have I KNOW work for me, thanks to Curl Wizard. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • piratecurlpiratecurl Registered Users Posts: 104 Curl Novice
    Thanks to both of you for your help. I think I will give it a try. :pirat:
  • mrsgp101310mrsgp101310 Registered Users Posts: 182
    I just ordered my analysis :) Can't wait to get it! I've been told all my life how thick and coarse my hair is but after reading many posts on here, I am wondering how true that is. And RacerWife7, you are so right about saving $$ by knowing which products to try vs. ones to avoid! I hope it doesn't take the 3-4 wks it says to get the results back...I hate waiting.
    Cyndi ~ TX CG since 11/10 :mrgreen:
    3a, medium texture, normal porosity & elasticity, medium density, color-treated, frizz-prone

Currently using:
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coco; AIA Coconut cowash
    Cleansing: CJ DF
    RO: CJ Smoothing,GVP CB
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion, AIA leave in
    Stylers: SCE Okra Gel; SCE CC; SCE HHG, SSCEJ, SSFHG, AIA Curl Jelly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mine didn't take that long. But, it may depend on how busy they are. I hope, for your sake, it doesn't take that long!! ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • thecurly1thecurly1 Registered Users Posts: 103
    did you sulfate shampoo before you sent your sample?
    Ive been CG for about a month now so I might have not read my ing. list perfectly. I have been staying away from cones and any sulfate shampoo but just not sure HOW clean my hair is of that bad bad stuff!
    Armed with the Curl Analyzes!!!
    3b,3c
    texture: Fine
    porosity: Normal
    elasticity: Low

co:wash: V05 kiwi lime, CJDF
    condish: TS avocado and aloe, GPV cond balm, Yes to carrots
    leave in: KCNT
    styling: LOVE FSG.. CK, BRHG, CJCQ KCCC, LaLSG
    protein: CJ rehab
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/thecurly1-albums-journey.html
    And yes I'm turning into a PJ :thumbup:
  • ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
    I was just about to post this very topic because I have been debating on having it done. Thank you for starting it! I have been told my hair is dry and coarse my whole life and I am wondering if that could be wrong. It seems dry and coarse but hey maybe I'm wrong:happy8: If I get it done (when I get it done) I will post results!
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
    thecurly1 wrote: »
    did you sulfate shampoo before you sent your sample?
    Ive been CG for about a month now so I might have not read my ing. list perfectly. I have been staying away from cones and any sulfate shampoo but just not sure HOW clean my hair is of that bad bad stuff!

The instructions say-"We cannot stress enough the i mportance of taking a proper sample so we can perform the most accurate analysis. Make sure your hair is clean and free of all gels, mousses, oils, creams or other hair products".
    I just co-washed and followed my normal routine and obtained my samples before I put any add'l product in my hair after I got out of the shower. I've been CG since Nov and haven't used any cones since, so I hope it's ok.
    3a, medium texture, normal porosity & elasticity, medium density, color-treated, frizz-prone

Currently using:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecurly1thecurly1 Registered Users Posts: 103
    Thank u I was hoping that I all i had to do is co-wash before i took my samples.

Heres hoping that it doesnt take to long! I hate waiting thats why I dont really like ordering on line!
    Armed with the Curl Analyzes!!!
    3b,3c
    texture: Fine
    porosity: Normal
    elasticity: Low

co:wash: V05 kiwi lime, CJDF
    condish: TS avocado and aloe, GPV cond balm, Yes to carrots
    leave in: KCNT
    styling: LOVE FSG.. CK, BRHG, CJCQ KCCC, LaLSG
    protein: CJ rehab
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/thecurly1-albums-journey.html
    And yes I'm turning into a PJ :thumbup:
    I didn't use anything different than I normally use when I did it. I just used whatever sulfate-free cleanser I was using at the time and started yanking them out before I conditioned or applied gel. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • CurlyCaliGirlCurlyCaliGirl Registered Users Posts: 40
    I sent mine off this morning and that is what I did, cowashed then picked and yanked before adding gel. I'm very excited to see what they have to say, but am also impatient to wait so long for the results. lol I've only been CG for a week but noticed right away I could spend a fortune trying different products so decided it would be best to at least have a clue of what I am working with.
  • curlynowcurlynow Registered Users Posts: 51
    I sent mine off last week....hope it comes back soon! Once I get it, I will put the results in my sig.
    2c-3a~ Medium w/fine characteristics, low porosity, normal elasticity
  • NancyV908NancyV908 Registered Users Posts: 108
    I had one done & was very happy. As others have said, it is well worth the price if it saves you from buying the wrong products. I'm still working on getting my hair the way I want it, but it was very helpful. I also think her ebook is really good, although quite a lot of it is available for free on her site. The ebook has stuff on dewpoints, though, which I'm just learning about & haven't yet taken into account.
    I've been told all my life how thick and coarse my hair is but after reading many posts on here, I am wondering how true that is.
    ththd wrote: »
    I have been told my hair is dry and coarse my whole life and I am wondering if that could be wrong.

It was a big shock to me to discover that my hair is fine! I guess since it was always a big frizzy mess I thought I had a ton of coarse hair. In fact, a big motivation for me to get the analysis done was a curly-hair stylist telling me I had fine hair--I really wanted to see if the analysis said the same thing. (It did.)

Another thing the analysis pointed me toward is protein, which seems to be helping. The only thing that doesn't seem to apply to me is that my hair type is often overmoisturized. In my case, I can't believe that's true b/c till I started on this routine I was not taking any care of my hair. But the point was that instead of laying on the moisture, my type might need less of that & more protein.
    My properties
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Leave-in Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut; looking for a replacement for the no-longer-CG Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Gel Looking for a replacement for the discontinued LAL blue gel. Also thinking I need a low- or no-humectant gel for high-dew days, but haven't figured that one out.
  • mslittlelalamslittlelala Registered Users Posts: 139
    Hope this isn't too off topic but I'm considering the analysis and I wanted to know are the product suggestions affordable. Like stuff I can walk in a store and buy or is it more the KCKT price range?
    FULL CG - 2nd Attempt 2/27/11
    TYPE: Fluffy see through coils & corkscrews when dry & product free
    HGS underlined
    DC: AOHSR / AOGPB / AOSwim / Elucence
    PO: BWC RM / CV Poo Bars
    Cowash: Vo5 KL / GTTT Dilute / Vo5 SC
    RO: AOBGA
    LEAVE INS
    Warm mths - help??
    Cool mths - H20, Olive oil, whipped shea butter
    STYLE: La Bella Styling Gel / Deva SIF
    Hope this isn't too off topic but I'm considering the analysis and I wanted to know are the product suggestions affordable. Like stuff I can walk in a store and buy or is it more the KCKT price range?

They give you ALL ranges. :)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    How funny!

I literally just hunted down and posted some questions on an older thread about this! I'll put them here too - just incase no one's interested in reading an old thread again :)

Does it tell you if your hair likes/dislikes things like protein/aloe/glycerin?

I know you get a list of product recommendations (which sounds awesome) but does it give you info to figure out whether other/future products are worth trying or not from the ingredients?

(Cannot believe I am considering sending my hair across the globe lol this is a secret to be taken to the grave lol!)
  • ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice

I was just getting ready to ask this very question!
    kat180 wrote: »
    How funny!

I literally just hunted down and posted some questions on an older thread about this! I'll put them here too - just incase no one's interested in reading an old thread again :)

I know you get a list of product recommendations (which sounds awesome) but does it give you info to figure out whether other/future products are worth trying or not from the ingredients?

(Cannot believe I am considering sending my hair across the globe lol this is a secret to be taken to the grave lol!)

I was also wondering about this too!
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • KeLynnKeLynn Registered Users Posts: 182
    I have kind of a dumb question. I have been noticing lately that my hair is a lot more stretchy than usual. (Maybe from a few PTs in a row about two weeks ago? Protein increases elasticity, right?) I just sent my sample in to Curl Wizard over the weekend. They are going to think my hair is a lot more elastic than it really is, won't they? So their suggestions are going to hinge on me keeping up with all the protein that I was already using on my hair?

Now that it's too late, it occurs to me that I should have waited a while after doing treatments to get my hair back to "normal." :glasses10:
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Registered Users Posts: 858
    kat180 wrote: »

It does not tell you about glycerin, aloe, etc. You will be told the texture of your hair (fine, medium, coarse), the porosity (low, normal, high) and the elasticity (low, normal, high). The products are ones that are currently available in stores or online.

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,660 Curl Neophyte
    Holy hair follicles! This thread just reminded me that I paid for an analysis last year and never sent my sample.

I gotta find the receipt or email or something and see about getting it done.

I feel like my hair IS different now that I've done CG for 1 year and 4 months. I notice the hairs that fall loose when shampooing seem thicker. Maybe it's had enough time to grow out and be healthier and not the thinned out damaged hair from high-heat processing for years. Dunno. But it does look less fine/thin and weak...

Anyway, memo to self to find receipt...
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Yay, I just got my Curl Wizard analysis back this morning :) It was 14 pgs long-didn't expect that.
    Very interesting and of course, different from what I've been told all my life about my hair.
    So my hair texture is Medium; Porosity is normal and elasticity is normal.
    As far as the product recs, many of them I already use so that works! I have been trying out samples of CJ products for the last week or 2 and some of them are on the list, some that I like are not....Time to start experimenting with new stuff :)

Currently using:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlynowcurlynow Registered Users Posts: 51
    I got mine back last night!!! I have medium with slightly fine characteristics, low porosity and normal elasticity. I use some of the products that were recommended, but again,,,,I have not tried Curl Junkie yet.

My hair seems to like protein, but the analysis said to use it sparingly. I use SSCC, SSCEJ, SSFHG and looking to get SSDD, (which SSDD was recommended). I usually get fairly good results when using SS, but were not recommended. I will still use SS as long as I get good results though :colors:.
    2c-3a~ Medium w/fine characteristics, low porosity, normal elasticity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file