Help! New to Curliness, fried hair!

Unexpected CurlyUnexpected Curly Posts: 53Registered Users
Hello to everyone. I am surprised to find myself on the forum. As my name implies, I find myself an unexpected curly. I guess a lot of guys find themselves like that, so I am part of a good crew.

I began growing out my hair since my last cut in July 2009 before my brother's wedding, and have continued to grow it out. The cut I had gotten was a buzz job that was almost skin short. Earlier this month, I went out for the first time in forever (I don't make much so gadding about is not too much of an option and living in a small rural town does not help either). I am in the midst of finding myself going unexpectedly from being wavy haired to being curly, and my whole life had thought I had straight hair. As a kid, I usually had it short and same as a teenager due to cross country and track.

I had changed shampoos recently because I was finding my hair was burning out. I tried an Herbal Essence product, and my hair just frizzed. After having gone out as well, I found that people were making comments that did not register with me as being typical for me to be getting regarding my hair.

So, I decided to look at my hair and what it was doing. To my shock, I found waves (this was earlier this month). I had been using Herbal Essences for about two or three weeks at that point, and it was doing okay. The way my job is, I work swing shifts, and so since I am somewhat informed on proper hair care, I have a tendency to let my hair go without washing for 48 hours if possible (and also because I have dry skin in the Winter). Last week, I found to my surprise what looked like some curling going on, but I was not sure because the hair is about 2 (5 centimeters or so) inches long in back, and I cannot really see back there without using mirrors, so I finally found a hand-held mirror (can you tell yet that before curliness I was really low-maintenance and didn't really care?) and to my shock and amazement found that I now had curly hair. Then I used my Herbal Essence product (shampoo only no conditioner) on Monday morning this week, and my hair got totally fried. The only reason I know it got totally fried is that after letting it go (thank goodness I could) for 64 hours, and trying to use a little dollop of shampoo (I had been alert enough to notice that I seemed to have curls forming in the intervening 64 hours and, that on the past Sunday when I had been awake, due to work, for 32 hours straight, that my hair seemed to be better for lack of shampoo) that the hair curled a little bit, but was frizzy. I was so angry. Frustrated. I know this sounds less than manly, but for me this has been like finding a totally new part of me and I find this whole thing confusing, fun, and exciting. I guess it is kind of like thinking one would never be able to ride a bicycle due to fear of riding and then not only being able to ride, but enjoying it greatly.

I have dropped the Herbal Essence. I washed today in hot water only. I wasn't going to do that, but I was afraid of further damage. The result has been curls, that despite using a comb on, seem to return. I think I am a range of the 3s, although at this point the curls I have seem to be in the 3b set.

I am trying to grow out my hair, and it seems like the more I grow it, the curlier it gets and the tighter the curls get. I am waiting for the front to grow out a bit more because it seems to want to curl too. The curling seems to be moving up the scalp in the back as curls form lower down. The other thing is, that the hair seems to grow out instead of down. I find this bizarre, but after having read this board pretty thoroughly I am guessing this is somewhat normal for curlies.

I am still trying to wrap my head around having curly hair after so many years of being straight haired to barely wavy and then suddenly finding myself curly. Then there is product. I have almost no idea what to do with this at this point. I want to use the Tresemme Curl Moisturizing that I bought and also Suave rosemary mint conditioner.

The other part of my problems is that I can tell that work is only being partially tolerant of my hair, and I absolutely do not want to cut it. I live in an ultra-conservative area (Pennsylvania Dutch country). I am not from here originally, and I am not of them. This bothers me less than it does them it seems, because I am mixed ethnicity and my Latin side comes out strongly everywhere and the curl is just adding, and I think people are becoming less tolerant of the look. Ironically the women love how I look, which is awesome. I have also gotten compliments from other guys, which has been unexpected. In other words, I am more patient with my look than I think work is going to try to be. So, I need help and I need help quickly. I am enjoying this curly adventure too much to cut it off, because it just gets better the curlier it becomes :happy3:

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get the last few weeks and days off of my mind. It was a relief to find other guys on the board to whom I could put these feelings and questions. At work, there are few to no people with my kind of hair, and in the area where I live, I have to put up with the "are you homosexual" nonsense from people. No, not homosexual, like women very much, have curly hair, further questions? I try not to be militaristic about it, but I am sick of the ignorant people I encounter. I think most of the folks at work assume that I try to make my hair curly with curlers, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I have merely decided to embrace who I am, curls and all. I have decided that with curls there is no control, only influence. It seems an apt comparison to life. C'est la vie!

Comments

• manemanmaneman Posts: 136Registered Users
    Well first of all, welcome to the world of the curlies! Second, as a fellow cguy, I know first hand that you will run into much ignorance regarding your hair whether that be based on race, gender or sexuality or all together. The important thing is that you try and feel comfortable with who you are and your own decision to embrace your hair as it grows and grows.

I started growing my hair out in Fall 2009 and I love it now. From your description my hair is kinkier than yours (in the 4s mostly) but I think one of the things that really helped me was washing once weekly with shampoo but cowashing either every day or every other day. I think the important thing is that you have to "listen" to your hair. It really does tell you what it needs. For conditioners I really love Tresseme Naturals and Garnier Fructis. Also, one of the things that really helps me (and my scalp) is having some sort of night routine where I at least wet my hair before bed and try and keep it covered at night. Winter has been pretty difficult as my hair really appreciates humidity in the air (and I have a chronically dry scalp) but I'm excited about the upcoming Spring season. HTH!
    Check out my blog: http://manemanblog.com.
    If you're a curly guy and would like to be featured then check out the Contact page and hit me up!

Favorite products:
    Shampoo: KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling: Donna Marie Dream Curling Cream, EcoStyler Gel (pink)
  • somethingelsesomethingelse Posts: 75Registered Users
    welcome to the club sir. i totally relate to you in the sense that i had no idea my hair would do what it does, and so i had done everything to avoid what i thought my hair was (which mostly meant me turning to relaxers and such, or masking it with cornrows or dreads)...

anyway, as a curly head... i think it's pretty safe to say that conditioner will be your best friend. ^_^ at least that is how i feel about it. just work through and find a conditioner that works for you... and a moisturizer.

also @chewy - i like that spray night thing you mention. i have a water/moisture mixture solution that i use in my hair as a leave in... i think, tonight, i will try that with that. ^_^
    products: after everything I've tried & loved, I'm now down to just using yes to carrots conditioner. i actually just rub it on my hair while dry, get my hair moisted up with just that, then carefully finger comb/seperate sections of my hair (takes about 15-20 minutes). after that, i hope in the shower, let the water hit and shake-rinse my hair and massage my scalp. once out, i simple let my hair air dry. every now and then, i'll use a diffuser.

btw, pardon my all lower case. i just love 'em.
  • Tank10Tank10 Posts: 119Registered Users
    Welcome to the site, you were talkng about getting the sauve Rosemary mint conditioner it's good ,have also tried sauves new line for curls it really defines and keeps hair soft
  • Unexpected CurlyUnexpected Curly Posts: 53Registered Users
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.

ChewyCaramello62, thank you for encouragement on growing out my hair. I think the longer it gets the better defined the curl will be. It seems this will be a while to have happen. Thanks for the tips on the night routine. The Northeast winter seems to be working its way on my hair too, I hope when the rainy season starts in late March/April that it helps. My hair should like Summer from the sounds of it. I was wondering what you meant by co-washing. I have had to familiarize myself with product types and terms to do with them so that I can try to bring my hair back quickly, and I just don't get the co-wash thing at this point. What is co-washing? Is it "conditioner only" at some point at roughly 24 hours after the last washing of the hair?

asonurry, thank you for the tips on conditioner and moisturizer. I don't understand what all the moisturizer is supposed to do, I mean from the name it sounds like it keeps the hair moist, but what does this mean? I am glad I am not the only one who tried to deny having curls (not that logically I would be the only one to have denied this). I am still trying to convince myself that this is actually what my hair is, even though the curls come back no matter what. I put my head upside down this morning (worked all night so I am at about 19 hours from last shampooing, and from my first conditioning ever. I used the Suave product I mentioned after shampooing. I rinsed and then reapplied the conditioner because the first time I used the conditioner, I could not get my hands through my hair without having some stoppage along the way. Is this a good idea to reapply the conditioner, or is once and done good? Also, what kind of water moisture solution do you have?

Tank10, thank you for the tips on the shampoo and conditioner. I will have to check to see whether I can find the curly line from Suave. The area where I live is like 90% white, so it is difficult to find decent product selection for ethnic hair. If I get down towards Philly soon, hopefully I can stop in a few grocery stores and try some good product lines. I keep reading about "soft hair" in different places. I am at this point, still quite new to this whole curly head thing, and do not understand why soft hair is what is wanted as opposed to whatever the other kinds of hair are. Why is soft hair good (other than that women like it) for curls?

I had some more questions that I did not put in my initial post.

*I have hair that is "really thick" according to nearly all the people who have ever cut it. Does this help or hinder curl formation? Or in general, what does it do to curl formation? Eventually if I got it thinned, would this help the curl formation? Also the hair seems to be coarse.

*I am planning on growing my hair out, would layering be beneficial? Yes/No and why?

*Even after nearly taking out all the curl by putting my head upside down, the curl comes back, and on top of that I can tease more curl into the hair. Can anyone else tease more curl into their hair, and is this teaseability normal?

*After using the curly shampoo by Tresemme and the Suave mint and rosemary conditioner, my hair seems heavier than usual (even nineteen or twenty hours later). Is this good, is this normal, do I need more of this sort of thing, less of this sort of thing?

*On the back, my curls seem to form from the bottom of the hair moving towards the top. Has anyone else had this sort of thing? Due to the tightness of the curl, I think that the curls on top are going to have a good base to lie on, but it seems that formation is taking a while, and my hair is at this weird in-between phase. Meanwhile on the sides and towards the front, the hair seems to be getting to the same point the back was a few weeks ago, and is more or less standing straight out from the scalp with a look that is definitely more than a wave but not quite a curl at this point. The ends of the hair definitely appear to be going the direction of forming a curl, but are not quite there yet. Did anyone else have a weird grow out phase/stage? I assume it gets better?

*I am currently parting my hair down the middle due to the length of my hair, this seems to give an even distribution to things at the moment. Do you have any suggestions on parting system to achieve maximum curl in as short a time as possible?

*I usually split my bangs down the middle of the front. They seem to want to do this curve towards the outside and then come back towards the middle thing, but for whatever reason, don't seem to want to curl quite yet. I end up pushing them to the side to get them out of my face. Any ideas on how to make the hair at the front of the head curl better?

*Do you have any suggestions on combing techniques? It seems like once I get some of the tangles out of the hair, that more curls want to form. I need help on this because, at this point, curly looks better than matted, and I want to be gentle enough that I don't kill the hair, but assertive enough that the most curls possible will be able to form.

*What is second day hair? What does it entail?

I know these are really basic questions, but I kind of feel like Peter Parker waking up the next morning and finding out that he can walk on walls like he can the floor. I am disoriented, and trying to find equilibrium with this deal. I don't want to obsess about this curliness stuff, but I do want to look good, and this is definitely part of it. I am kind of feeling like a freak in my appearance. This is partly because I don't see anyone else around me at this stage of curl growth/these kinds of curls. I am still getting used to all of this and it is still very strange to me. Thank you all three for the help and encouragement. I will need much more of both as I explore this.

Hope you are having a good day.
  • Bridal.WreathBridal.Wreath Posts: 65Registered Users
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.

ChewyCaramello62, thank you for encouragement on growing out my hair. I think the longer it gets the better defined the curl will be. It seems this will be a while to have happen. Thanks for the tips on the night routine. The Northeast winter seems to be working its way on my hair too, I hope when the rainy season starts in late March/April that it helps. My hair should like Summer from the sounds of it. I was wondering what you meant by co-washing. I have had to familiarize myself with product types and terms to do with them so that I can try to bring my hair back quickly, and I just don't get the co-wash thing at this point. What is co-washing? Is it "conditioner only" at some point at roughly 24 hours after the last washing of the hair?

asonurry, thank you for the tips on conditioner and moisturizer. I don't understand what all the moisturizer is supposed to do, I mean from the name it sounds like it keeps the hair moist, but what does this mean? I am glad I am not the only one who tried to deny having curls (not that logically I would be the only one to have denied this). I am still trying to convince myself that this is actually what my hair is, even though the curls come back no matter what. I put my head upside down this morning (worked all night so I am at about 19 hours from last shampooing, and from my first conditioning ever. I used the Suave product I mentioned after shampooing. I rinsed and then reapplied the conditioner because the first time I used the conditioner, I could not get my hands through my hair without having some stoppage along the way. Is this a good idea to reapply the conditioner, or is once and done good? Also, what kind of water moisture solution do you have?

Tank10, thank you for the tips on the shampoo and conditioner. I will have to check to see whether I can find the curly line from Suave. The area where I live is like 90% white, so it is difficult to find decent product selection for ethnic hair. If I get down towards Philly soon, hopefully I can stop in a few grocery stores and try some good product lines. I keep reading about "soft hair" in different places. I am at this point, still quite new to this whole curly head thing, and do not understand why soft hair is what is wanted as opposed to whatever the other kinds of hair are. Why is soft hair good (other than that women like it) for curls?

I had some more questions that I did not put in my initial post.

*I have hair that is "really thick" according to nearly all the people who have ever cut it. Does this help or hinder curl formation? Or in general, what does it do to curl formation? Eventually if I got it thinned, would this help the curl formation? Also the hair seems to be coarse.

*I am planning on growing my hair out, would layering be beneficial? Yes/No and why?

*Even after nearly taking out all the curl by putting my head upside down, the curl comes back, and on top of that I can tease more curl into the hair. Can anyone else tease more curl into their hair, and is this teaseability normal?

*After using the curly shampoo by Tresemme and the Suave mint and rosemary conditioner, my hair seems heavier than usual (even nineteen or twenty hours later). Is this good, is this normal, do I need more of this sort of thing, less of this sort of thing?

*On the back, my curls seem to form from the bottom of the hair moving towards the top. Has anyone else had this sort of thing? Due to the tightness of the curl, I think that the curls on top are going to have a good base to lie on, but it seems that formation is taking a while, and my hair is at this weird in-between phase. Meanwhile on the sides and towards the front, the hair seems to be getting to the same point the back was a few weeks ago, and is more or less standing straight out from the scalp with a look that is definitely more than a wave but not quite a curl at this point. The ends of the hair definitely appear to be going the direction of forming a curl, but are not quite there yet. Did anyone else have a weird grow out phase/stage? I assume it gets better?

*I am currently parting my hair down the middle due to the length of my hair, this seems to give an even distribution to things at the moment. Do you have any suggestions on parting system to achieve maximum curl in as short a time as possible?

*I usually split my bangs down the middle of the front. They seem to want to do this curve towards the outside and then come back towards the middle thing, but for whatever reason, don't seem to want to curl quite yet. I end up pushing them to the side to get them out of my face. Any ideas on how to make the hair at the front of the head curl better?

*Do you have any suggestions on combing techniques? It seems like once I get some of the tangles out of the hair, that more curls want to form. I need help on this because, at this point, curly looks better than matted, and I want to be gentle enough that I don't kill the hair, but assertive enough that the most curls possible will be able to form.

*What is second day hair? What does it entail?

I know these are really basic questions, but I kind of feel like Peter Parker waking up the next morning and finding out that he can walk on walls like he can the floor. I am disoriented, and trying to find equilibrium with this deal. I don't want to obsess about this curliness stuff, but I do want to look good, and this is definitely part of it. I am kind of feeling like a freak in my appearance. This is partly because I don't see anyone else around me at this stage of curl growth/these kinds of curls. I am still getting used to all of this and it is still very strange to me. Thank you all three for the help and encouragement. I will need much more of both as I explore this.

Hope you are having a good day.

Maybe I can help you out a bit.

Thick hair shouldn't hinder curl performance but one thing that you should understand is that with thicker hair, you might end up with a lot more volume. In order to have good curl formation, I would use some sort of gel. This should help out with the curl formation. As for thinning curly hair, never thin it. You are going to end up with a big puffball.

As for growing your hair and layering it. I would. When curly hair is layered, it tends to rest more neatly on the head. Again though, do not thin your hair.

For me, in order to get more curl, I tilt my head down and scrunch my hair. It could be different for your hair though, but it is worth a shot.

As for your hair feeling "heavy" there is a chance that you might be using a bit too much condition. Try lowering the amount you are using and see what happens.

I never grew out my hair long before so, I'll let someone else answer this.

For parting my hair, I just leave the natural part. My hair tends to settle neatly that way than if I mess with it.

As for curling better, you could try scrunching with a product in your hair. See what that does for you.

When combing curly hair, comb when there is conditioner in your hair. I don't like using a comb at all. I found that it tends to damage hair more than it is worth. Instead, I use my fingers as a comb.

Second day hair is when a hairstyle lasts for more than one day. Normally, you just fix it, most people with the lavender water in order to help reset the product, and go.

I hope this helps. I've tried to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
    CG since Feb. 18, 2011
    Bridal Wreath, thank you for your reply. I really appreciate you spending so much time and effort on your reply. This helps answer so many questions for me. Today, I washed with conditioner. The hair is recovering from being fried, and I put conditioner in it four times and rinsed four times. I did this because the hair seemed to want much more moisture, and when I got done, I followed the directions for combing curly hair (pretty much exactly) that are posted in the newbie section. I combed my hair up-side down with a thinly tined comb after having waited about 10 minutes and having done initial combing with a wide tined comb. I combed twice with the thin tined comb (once with my head up right and the other was the up-side down time) and then just let it do its thing. I got this kind of puffball, but not frizzy really, just puffball, which took its time settling down, and I don't know if it is yet completely settled. The result thus far is tight curly mass everywhere except with the hair on the crown, which is kind of moving towards curl but not quite there. But even in this case, there is better definition than there had been, and everything is just kind of staying. The curls bounce a bit when I walk, which to some people looks odd, but I like.

Thank you for the help on the definitions. The post you made was very clear and concise as to what they are and mean. I will have to reread the post a few times to totally absorb it, but it is an excellent get-you-on-the-ground-running contribution. I like my hair for the first time ever. I feel sexy in it for the first time ever. It really reflects my personality better than any other style that I have tried in the past.

I really appreciate your feedback regarding the scrunching and the gel. Your instinct on the lots of volume with thick hair seems to be spot on with me. In total, I like having thick curly hair that is pretty tight because it seems to be easier to keep that way than if it were loose. I didn't have to really mess with it at all after showering except to try the things I did, and all I had to do at work was to push my bangs out of my face on occasion (which I assume will happen until they ultimately curl themselves).

Thank you thank you thank you for the information on thinning out the hair. This is something that has been done to it since I was a kid. With all the commentary from stylists saying that I had "really thick hair" and them saying that it was "nice", I never understood the need to thin it. If it is nice and thick, why not leave it alone? Do not worry, after getting a thick head of curls tonight after my treatment of it this afternoon, I shan't be thinning it at all. Besides, it makes good head banging hair, who would want to mess with that?

Thank you for your information regarding making a part. I think at the moment I will continue to let it be parted in the middle, but in the long run who knows. The only thing that seems to be permanent with curly hair is that it is curly, "the rest is just whatever" (sorry don't know the song title exactly but I think it is "I'm not in it to win it, I'm in it for you") like the song says.

Thank you for the information on the combing. I am leery of using a thin comb right off or even a comb at all. I used my fingers first to take the hair out of my face and I think that is how i would do it again.

I think I will follow a washing routine similar to ChewyCaramello62 using the conditioner I bought. Four times through the hair may be good for the next week or so until the hair recovers its moisture from the frying it took. I may end up near Philly in the next week or two, so I could have a chance to check out the Suave Naturals and Curls lines at that point, that Tank10 pointed out. I think as asonurry said that, conditioner is pretty much going to be my friend.

This curly party's only get'in started an' I'm havin fun already. Curl on everyone. :occasion5:
    hello sir unexpected. ^_^

when it comes to conditioners... i know many curlies, myself included, love conditioners that have great slip. (a term used to describe how great the conditioner allows your hands to slide through it, which the great the slip, the smoother the detangling goes. the best slipi have found in a conditoner in a store from a natural ingredient conditioner is the Yes To Carrots conditoner. (they carry them at Target and Walgreens)... anyway. that stuff is my fav.

and moisture is good for the hair. keeps it from not drying out. dry is not good... and the reason many like to co-wash (which is washing with conditioner only) is because most shampoos have sulfates that strips the hair of oils, leaving the hair open to major dryness. (which is why after shampooing it is especially important to conditioner and follow up with a good moisturizer.

For my mixture, I use water, a good deal of Taliah Waajid's bodifier, followed up with a little bit of Taliah Waajid Healing Oyl, and finally, a bit of SheaMoisture's Shea Butter Lotion. i also follow through using a Diffusser (omg i love it. a great way to get your curls unwet from the shower with out frizz or heat damag). My hair stays perfectly moistured throughout the day without hardly feeling like there is something in my hair *it feels natural* - yet if i squeeze/rub a curl, i can feel the moisture on my finger.

i am still on the search for a single product that gives me the result i get from this mashup of products.
    products: after everything I've tried & loved, I'm now down to just using yes to carrots conditioner. i actually just rub it on my hair while dry, get my hair moisted up with just that, then carefully finger comb/seperate sections of my hair (takes about 15-20 minutes). after that, i hope in the shower, let the water hit and shake-rinse my hair and massage my scalp. once out, i simple let my hair air dry. every now and then, i'll use a diffuser.

Another thing I would recommend is a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week. That should also help with the dryness.
    CG since Feb. 18, 2011
    Hey asonurry & Bridal Wreath, thanks for the responses.

asonurry, thank you for the information about your night spray. I will have to go through that again and check those products out on-line in greater detail. Thank you for the information on the shampoos. I will have to check out the Yes to Carrots conditioner for sure; thanks for the clarification on the co washing. It is nice to know that there are other people out there who relish the slip of a conditioner, I was really enjoying slip while conditioning.

Also the Diffuser sounds excellent. I am realizing more and more that moisture is really truly my best friend. Today I went outside towards the end of shift, I could feel my hair curling with the high moisture. It was an awesome feeling. I cannot wait to get my hair re-conditioned, the spring in it is going to be better than it is now. Sometimes I wonder if my hair is more 3a than 3b, but the curls I have are not loose ringlets, and I think they will get tighter the longer and moister they become on a more regular basis. They seem more like coils, but not kinky. This is why I think I am more of a 3b than a 3a. I guess it is redundant to say I am actually looking forward to Summer for once.

I was wondering as well, whether your hair was course, because mine is, and I do not want to use much protein on it because I am concerned that it would put the hair into a worse condition than it is already. I don't know enough about those products you described in order to know whether they are high protein or not.

I do not know if you experience this, but sometimes by the end of the day my curls sort of relax a bit as they lose moisture. I am finding that they seem to have a mind and life of their own that I do in no way control, and that they go in extremes between being tight enough that I can feel the pull on my scalp, to being almost to the point of being half-curled. Do you notice extremes like this? I find this somewhat troubling at this point, but perhaps I am too concerned.

Thanks again for the information asonurry.

Bridal Wreath, thank you for the suggestion about deep conditioning. I have considered whether this would be right for me or not. I do not know what this is. I have looked around the forums and have not been able to find a definition. If it is like the conditioning I do in the shower, but on steroids, then I may just use it on my two days off during the week. Where I live the dew point is regularly in the 20s in Winter. It's not unusual for the dew point to be in the teens either. Our snow has as much a chance of being dry as wet, and if it is towards the wet end of things, it could become freezing rain at the drop of a hat.

Thank you for the idea about deep conditioning Bridal Wreath, I would benefit from a good explanation of the topic.

Hope you two are having a good day/night.
    I have have decided to try TRESemme Naturals Silicone Free Conditioning Nourishing Moisture conditioner. I think since aliquot recommended Yes to Carrots to me on another thread in the General Curl Talk section and that at least one or two of you all who have responded on this thread have recommended it too, that I will have to try it. Here's to hoping frizz is a thing of the past, if only eventually. The only thing that concerns me, being that it is Winter right now, is that there are humectants in the TRESemme con free conditioner. Today it is 100% humidity (rain), so it is okay, but other-wise it may not be so great for Winter (at least for me).

Hope you guys are having a good weekend.

Hey asonurry, I think I am going to try making the spray that you made. I just need to watch the protein content because I have course hair.
    Hey asonurry & Bridal Wreath, thanks for the responses.

asonurry, thank you for the information about your night spray. I will have to go through that again and check those products out on-line in greater detail. Thank you for the information on the shampoos. I will have to check out the Yes to Carrots conditioner for sure; thanks for the clarification on the co washing. It is nice to know that there are other people out there who relish the slip of a conditioner, I was really enjoying slip while conditioning.

Also the Diffuser sounds excellent. I am realizing more and more that moisture is really truly my best friend. Today I went outside towards the end of shift, I could feel my hair curling with the high moisture. It was an awesome feeling. I cannot wait to get my hair re-conditioned, the spring in it is going to be better than it is now. Sometimes I wonder if my hair is more 3a than 3b, but the curls I have are not loose ringlets, and I think they will get tighter the longer and moister they become on a more regular basis. They seem more like coils, but not kinky. This is why I think I am more of a 3b than a 3a. I guess it is redundant to say I am actually looking forward to Summer for once.

I was wondering as well, whether your hair was course, because mine is, and I do not want to use much protein on it because I am concerned that it would put the hair into a worse condition than it is already. I don't know enough about those products you described in order to know whether they are high protein or not.

I do not know if you experience this, but sometimes by the end of the day my curls sort of relax a bit as they lose moisture. I am finding that they seem to have a mind and life of their own that I do in no way control, and that they go in extremes between being tight enough that I can feel the pull on my scalp, to being almost to the point of being half-curled. Do you notice extremes like this? I find this somewhat troubling at this point, but perhaps I am too concerned.

Thanks again for the information asonurry.

Bridal Wreath, thank you for the suggestion about deep conditioning. I have considered whether this would be right for me or not. I do not know what this is. I have looked around the forums and have not been able to find a definition. If it is like the conditioning I do in the shower, but on steroids, then I may just use it on my two days off during the week. Where I live the dew point is regularly in the 20s in Winter. It's not unusual for the dew point to be in the teens either. Our snow has as much a chance of being dry as wet, and if it is towards the wet end of things, it could become freezing rain at the drop of a hat.

Thank you for the idea about deep conditioning Bridal Wreath, I would benefit from a good explanation of the topic.

Hope you two are having a good day/night.

Sorry I haven't responded to this yet. Anyways, as for what deep conditioning is, it is a treatment of conditioning which actually penetrates into hair and moisturizes it more than conditioning. It is normally done once a week in order to help to calm down the frizz.

The method is pretty much you take a deep conditioner, put it in your hair, and let it sit for usually an half and hour (depends on the protect) and then wash it out completely. Sometimes, people apply heat, due to the fact that the hair normally soaks in the conditioner more.

Hopefully that helps explain it a bit more.

For a conditioner, I use JC Too Shea. It actually keeps my hair well moisturized.

I hope this helps you.
    CG since Feb. 18, 2011
    Hi Bridal Wreath,

Thank you for your response. This does help clarify things better for me. I think I will remake my deep conditioner using the oils again, and leave it in for the suggested hour and a half. My hair seems to be doing better since going CG in early March. It seems to be getting more body and curling better. The higher sections on the back of the head are beginning to curl. It is very humid today where I live (it's raining) and since I have been off for the past two days and not needed to go out, it has been left alone. When soaking wet, the hair goes down to my shoulders. With the humidity and temperature in the mid fourties to lower fifties, the hair is doing a run up the scalp, even after a pleasant grooming, in which it was combed out. It's fun to see the hair "shrink" and curl more in the slightly higher temperature and the 100% humidity. This Spring and Summer should be fun :happy8:

How's your own cg thing going Bridal Wreath?
    so glad to hear things are coming along! ^_^

Sent from my iPad using CurlTalk

• 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    OK, I am late to the party, but I wanted to recommend another conditioner for you. I love the Yes to Cucumbers conditioner that is sold right next to the Yes to Carrots. If you are trying to recondition your hair, I would use this as a rinse out and leave in conditioner. I use it because I have color-treated hair, but it is more moisturizing than both YT Carrots and Tresemme Naturals for me. I am a bit of a product junkie, but I really pay attention to what products work for what purpose for me. For example, I love the Tresemme Naturals moisturizing conditioner for the ease of detangling in the shower, so it's always nearby. If I have been in the sun too much without enough protection, I follow the detangling with the YTCarrots and leave it to work while I am in the shower. Then, as my leave in I use the YTCucumbers. It is protective against the sun, leaves my hair bouncy but moist and pretty shiny.

I also want to second deep conditioning. If you are recovering from some sort of damage to your hair I would rotate with protein-based deep conditioners (this does not have to be hard or expensive; mayonnaise or yougurt are easily obtained, and there are recipes here about how to use them) with moisturizing deep treatments. I would use protein one week (followed by the moisturizing deep treatment), and then leave out the protein the next week. I just use protein treatments depending on how my hair feels.

Hope I was of some help. You are already off to a good start by paying attention to your hair and noticing that it craves moisture.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
    Hi Bridal Wreath,

Thank you for your response. This does help clarify things better for me. I think I will remake my deep conditioner using the oils again, and leave it in for the suggested hour and a half. My hair seems to be doing better since going CG in early March. It seems to be getting more body and curling better. The higher sections on the back of the head are beginning to curl. It is very humid today where I live (it's raining) and since I have been off for the past two days and not needed to go out, it has been left alone. When soaking wet, the hair goes down to my shoulders. With the humidity and temperature in the mid fourties to lower fifties, the hair is doing a run up the scalp, even after a pleasant grooming, in which it was combed out. It's fun to see the hair "shrink" and curl more in the slightly higher temperature and the 100% humidity. This Spring and Summer should be fun :happy8:

How's your own cg thing going Bridal Wreath?

Mine is going great. I condition it everyday and because of it, I have gotten a far better curl than imagined. Its easier to maintain as well. Mind you though, I cut my ends every 6 weeks, that way it helps in order to keep them fresh.
    CG since Feb. 18, 2011
    Thank you for your encouragement everyone.

sagehen- thank you for the information. I have been on the YT Carrots/Cucumbers web-site and I found the YT Cucumbers shampoo too. I think it looks good, but right now it is out of my cost-league. Oh well, perhaps some day. I am concerned about doing a protein treatment because I have coarse hair, although as it recovers, it becomes slightly less coarse.

Glad to know your cging is going well Bridal Wreath.

Tonight after work, I had an experience, which I take as a compliment, although in an odd way. I went to shop at another grocery store because they have lime juice in larger sizes than ours does, and I am in a mood for limeade tonight. So, I was in the pretzel/chip/popcorn aisle, and these two guys come along, and the one is like, "No, it's a man". I am thinking they noticed the hair, thought it looked nice and were not sure whether with the length and curl whether I were a woman. I am short and skinny (I don't eat much and I usually eat rice, so I do not have the chance to get much on me), so I guess they did not know easily that I was a guy. I am not so weirded-out by this as earlier in the night, my sister (who has not seen me for a long time) saw me tonight and did not recognize me at first. So, I can only think that the Curly Guying stuff is working for my hair, because I am getting universal 'ata-boys on it.

I got mojo ya'll. For the first time ever too. Curl on everyone. Maximize your curljo :glasses8: Now, if only I could get the money to go clubbing on a regular basis...
    haha! mojo! ^_^

Sent from my iPad using CurlTalk

Thank you for your encouragement everyone.

sagehen- thank you for the information. I have been on the YT Carrots/Cucumbers web-site and I found the YT Cucumbers shampoo too. I think it looks good, but right now it is out of my cost-league. Oh well, perhaps some day. I am concerned about doing a protein treatment because I have coarse hair, although as it recovers, it becomes slightly less coarse.

Glad to know your cging is going well Bridal Wreath.

Tonight after work, I had an experience, which I take as a compliment, although in an odd way. I went to shop at another grocery store because they have lime juice in larger sizes than ours does, and I am in a mood for limeade tonight. So, I was in the pretzel/chip/popcorn aisle, and these two guys come along, and the one is like, "No, it's a man". I am thinking they noticed the hair, thought it looked nice and were not sure whether with the length and curl whether I were a woman. I am short and skinny (I don't eat much and I usually eat rice, so I do not have the chance to get much on me), so I guess they did not know easily that I was a guy. I am not so weirded-out by this as earlier in the night, my sister (who has not seen me for a long time) saw me tonight and did not recognize me at first. So, I can only think that the Curly Guying stuff is working for my hair, because I am getting universal 'ata-boys on it.

I got mojo ya'll. For the first time ever too. Curl on everyone. Maximize your curljo :glasses8: Now, if only I could get the money to go clubbing on a regular basis...

Ahh yes, I usually get stopped in Victoria's Secret by other women with curly hair. They tell me what I do in order to make it so smooth and shiny.
    CG since Feb. 18, 2011
  • PRINCETONPRINCETON Posts: 872Registered Users
    I was interested in what exactly do you mean by "fried"?

That's a term associated with using hot tools like flat irons, curling irons, blow dryers, etc.

Do you use these type of tools or does your use of "fried" mean something else?

Princeton Brooke
    Chief Software Engineer
    http://apps.facebook.com/princetonbrooke
    What I meant by "fried" was that the hair was dry and brittle, and I had used shampoos that had done this (Herbal Essence, never again...). I was also blowdrying, which I still do on occasion, but not as much.

My hair is in recovery at this point. I am growing it out, and this is proving to be some effort. At work, people don't seem to understand that curly hair is better managed longer. I part it down the middle, and it is beginning to curl on the sides as it gets more weight. My challenge now is to keep it out of my face. I use Axe's Whatever Messy Look Paste because my hair is thick, so this is needed to keep it all under control. I don't really like using it, but I think it is what will work. It seems neutral on the hair as far as drying etc. goes.

Hope this information helps.
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    What I meant by "fried" was that the hair was dry and brittle, and I had used shampoos that had done this (Herbal Essence, never again...). I was also blowdrying, which I still do on occasion, but not as much.

My hair is in recovery at this point. I am growing it out, and this is proving to be some effort. At work, people don't seem to understand that curly hair is better managed longer. I part it down the middle, and it is beginning to curl on the sides as it gets more weight. My challenge now is to keep it out of my face. I use Axe's Whatever Messy Look Paste because my hair is thick, so this is needed to keep it all under control. I don't really like using it, but I think it is what will work. It seems neutral on the hair as far as drying etc. goes.

Hope this information helps.
    Random: not a fan of the curly paste you are using? Have you tried shea butter mixed with aloe vera gel in your hand? That smoothes down my edges nicely, and a little bit should do for you. Also, I hear Garnier has a control paste out that is available in drugstores. I have not tried this one out, so I cannot vouch for it. Can someone else chime in about that new Garnier paste?
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • creoleadoniscreoleadonis Posts: 3Registered Users
    Wow I had the same problem...my herbal essences hello hydrAtion shampoo worked well at first, but later dried my hair out really bad, thsys what I'm going through right now.

Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App
    May I just say ARGH? I am on my third attempt at recovery from frying my hair. First it was Herbal Essences, then it was Suave, now it is the proteins in the cone free product from Tressemme. I am using equal parts Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Grape Seed Oil, a splash of Goya brand Limon, oil of lavender extract and baking soda in order to wash my hair. So far I have only done one of these treatments with seemingly no bad results. It is going to be two days since the washing and the hair retains its moisture content. It is curling in the increasingly humid air and heat, to a greater degree after having the new type of washing. I had gone to just using water wash, but found it was not removing the Garnier Fructis styling fiber gum from the hair. The Fiber Gum seems to work all right.

However, I have found a product from Garnier Fructis called Garnier Fructis Style 24-Hour Definition. The container is 2oz, and even on thick coarse, medium length (for a guy) hair, the product will allow the hair to be kept back from the face with minimal effort. I have to tweak the amount I use, based on the conditions around me (humidity etc). The product advertises as being zero stickiness and is rated as "strong" and is also 99% naturally derived. I just let it on the strands in front, so that they go to the side. I would let the curls alone in the front, but they seem to be 3a pattern curls, so I need to put them to the side. They do do a nice job of naturally framing my face though, and I can't wait for them to get longer, so that I can style it more that way.

On the whole, I think that the product advertises itself fairly accurately. The ingredients seem to be natural enough and seem to consist mostly of acacia gum and some alcohols. There is NO Cones and NO proteins in sight on the label. Is very curl friendly and quick for usage. If I want my curls to stay in place on the sides or in back to some degree, I just use the residue on the comb, and voila voici are my curls. There is much less movement due to humidity (ie. if you are satisfied with a bit of coiling in your curls, and your curls really adjust themselves quite a bit to the humidity, this can give you a day where you don't feel them adjusting themselves up and down your neck, it can be nice to catch a break from this, although I find it mostly pleasurable.).

crealeadonis: how is your situation going with your hair, is it still fried?
  • CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Posts: 151Registered Users
    Sounds like to me you overloading your hair. And like everyone here I went through the phase from have straight hair and then deciding to grow it out, the came the shock, then the confusion, and then rambling around trying to figure out how to take care and manage it since I was the only curly in the family so no one could help me.

My advice is to go CG...I know its not for everyone but lord KNOWS it saved my hair and its simple and quick once you get out of the transition phase. The reason I think you are overloading your hair is because you are using so many different products right after each other. It takes a few days for your hair to get use to 1 product let alone 2 or three. Also never shampoo your hair without conditioning it afterwards...that's just asking for trouble...you have to put back into your hair what you took out with the shampoo which is moisture. Curls will basically die and looked fried without that.

My advice..wash your hair really well, like 2 times with a good shampoo and then use a conditioner and fingercomb it through your hair and let it sit while your shower...rinse with cool water to seal the pores in your hair. Then put a small amount of conditioner in your hand and rub your hands together with water and run through your hair lightly and see how you like it throughout the day. Once I started doing that I saw a maaaajor difference. And that was 2 years ago...my hair now is rarely ever dry. If you don't want to go CG yet I suggest for your conditioner to get the Aussie Moist conditioner..not only did it smell good but my hair loved it...I sometimes which I wasn't CG so I could use that conditioner..that conditioner KICKED ASS because it had Jojoba Oil in it and that nourishes the hair and makes it soft, holds in moisture, and helps it shine....ahhh...good times. Good luck!

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
    CG Since Nov 2008 and Currently using:
    Co-wash: VO5 strawberries and cream
    Conditioner: Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberries
    Gel:Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklites(only use when pulling my hair back in slick ponytail)

Follow Me on Twitter~~~~~>www.twitter.com/CourtneyAllenW
  • CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Posts: 151Registered Users
    Oh and I forgot to mention about what you said about the no cones products you were using...here's the thing...1st did you clarify your hair first with a clarifying shampoo before you switched to using no cones? If you did good, 2nd. It takes 5 weeks for your hair to adjust and get use to the no cones because you've been on them all your life and your hair has to adjust...when I switched I swear on my life after 2 weeks I was about to give in because my hair went freakin' CRAAAZY, dry, brittle, couldn't style the thing to save my life, even my scalp was having bad reactions..and I posted on here and a girl told me the same thing happened to her..so I was like ok I'll stick it out..after those 5 short weeks, I've had 2 great years of good, strong, moisturized hair...I don't even have to get my ends clipped but once a year because of my variation of the CG method keeps my ends strong and I have very very minimal breakage if any.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
    CG Since Nov 2008 and Currently using:
    Co-wash: VO5 strawberries and cream
    Conditioner: Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberries
    Gel:Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklites(only use when pulling my hair back in slick ponytail)

Follow Me on Twitter~~~~~>www.twitter.com/CourtneyAllenW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file