vogue paris editor, carine roitfeld, fired

fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
carine_roitfeld_rick_owens.jpg
the december issue of vogue paris featured a spread of little girls in full make-up and adult clothing.
not sure why i didn't find the pictures disgusting...perhaps because i've watched way too many episodes of toddlers and tiaras.
click here to see the photos and tell me what you think of them.
«1

Comments

  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Besides the 2 in gold and the bottom one in red, the rest look like little girls playing dress up.

    The photos and layout had to be done in the summer, early fall at the absolute latest....how is she just being fired now?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm really disappointed that it wasn't enough when she ran an editorial with blackface back in October.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Those pictures are quite disturbing.

    And when I think of little girls playing dress up, I picture something more along the lines of this:

    Little-girls-playing-dress-up.jpg

    The little girls in that link were sexualized beyond belief. The dresses fit their tiny bodies and the stiletto heels fit their little feet.....:angry7:

    UGH!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The girls in that editorial weren't much younger than regular models.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Yeah, I was looking at their feet and seeing that they're pretty much just slightly younger than most models.
    Some of the pics were too much, others were kind of beautiful (the one in the furs makes me think of Disney movies and shows were little girls are bundled up in them to go to the theater or some other occasion). None really look like kids playing dress up though.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I didn't see where it said how old the girls old were. How old were they?

    I think the liquor and the bed took it above dress-up for me but I'm just an old fuddy duddy. I don't like the sexualizing of children, even when it's accepted in some industries.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    From my reading on various sites, the girls in this particular spread were 6 years old.

    The poses and the settings are pushing boundaries of normal dress-up. Lounging on beds and sprawling across animal print throws in stiletto heels made for their little 6-year-old feet is sending an unmistakable message, imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Yeah, I do think those were in poor taste. But I think others would have been fine if those hadn't been included.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    so what?

    none is overtly sexual. two maybe are borderline

    meh
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The dark lipstick shot was troubling.

    I think she/they tried to soften the impact by including bunnies, but a few of the poses were very adult.

    missp, no offense, but I hope you're wrong about the shoes fitting. If so, shudder. Oversized "grown-up" shoes is a classic facet of dressing up, and would have minimized the sexual horror of this spread.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I agree there's a big difference between little girls playing dress up and girls being made to lounge around on beds and on animal print throws with come hither stares. Some of those pictures were extremely adult and overly sexualized. Why they waited until now to fire the editor when the issue was put together months ago is beyond me.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

    http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If there was an important or ironic point that was to be expressed in the spread then I could understand but there doesn't seem to be.

    I think as women we are sexualized enough (unless this was the ironic point of the photos?).
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

    HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

    SL APL BSL MBL
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    What was the point of the spread though? (Not that I actually find any point to vogue spreads - the whole magazine seems to just be advert after advert of ugly, expensive cr*p).

    A couple of the pictures are ok - but some were obviously over-sexualized, and the fact that the outfits and the stiletto shoes all fitted the 6 years olds is disturbing. That's not children playing dress up.

    But Im always pretty disgusted when constantly see young models used to sell stuff to grown, adult women. No wonder society has a problem with aging. Its all so weird.
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Besides the 2 in gold and the bottom one in red, the rest look like little girls playing dress up.

    The photos and layout had to be done in the summer, early fall at the absolute latest....how is she just being fired now?
    the issue came out in december, she was fired...well, she 'retired' in january.
    there is more to it but the bottom line or the straw that broke the camel's back is the child photo spread.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nothing new. Brooke Shields was modeling like that (fully nude actually) at 10 years old back in the 70's.

    Brooke-Shields-painting.jpg
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Nothing new. Brooke Shields was modeling like that (fully nude actually) at 10 years old back in the 70's.

    Brooke-Shields-painting.jpg
    Brooke said that she wore a body suit!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wiregirl wrote: »
    Nothing new. Brooke Shields was modeling like that (fully nude actually) at 10 years old back in the 70's.

    Brooke-Shields-painting.jpg
    Brooke said that she wore a body suit!


    She wore a body suit for Blue Lagoon or Pretty Baby or something, but there were actual nude modeling shots of her when she was 10, that her mother approved. They have since been altered or taken down from various places, because they violate child porn laws.
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    my mother purchased a francesco scavullo portrait book and this was the picture of brooke shields nude. the bottom has been cropped off that showed her nipples. i guess today it's considered child porn, but it was quite innocent, imo.
    brooke-shields-nude_05.jpg
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was wondering when we'd get to "Pretty Baby" and the whole "Calvins" ad campaign.

    Pretty, pretty Brooke.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    See, I don't think nude or semi-nude pictures of pre-*****cent children are ever appropriate. Really, why? A grown man or woman, I can see the art. A picture of a baby in a tub is fine, but what is the purpose of having an older child in the nude? I don't really see why Brooke needed to be photographed with her nipples exposed, no matter how "innocent" the intention might be.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Posts: 1,024Registered Users
    What seems strange to me is that they promoted Emmanuelle Alt into Editor position. She was the former Fashion Director of the same mag. So while Ms. Roitfeld allowed those pictures to run, Alt put the girls in the outfits/makeup so it's really not solving the problem now is it?
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I'm waiting to see who's getting fired for putting Sandra Lee in American Vogue. :lol:
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Posts: 1,024Registered Users
    I did a double take when I saw her in vogue. I thought I'd picked up Home and Garden. But no, it was another one of their 'Women who bone famous men' pieces.

    Honestly.
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Saria wrote: »
    See, I don't think nude or semi-nude pictures of pre-*****cent children are ever appropriate. Really, why?
    just a matter of questioning our culture and trying so hard not to bring up past arguments, why is it okay to show nudity of infants and 18+ but those in between years are off limits? is it because of choice or because of perverts? i don't see the body during those preteen years as any less beautiful.

    kids.jpg

    there is nothing wrong with ^these pictures, nothing but they're banned. in the context of child molesters, yes, there is something wrong.
    we keep children covered up to protect them, right?
    not because there is something really wrong with children in their underwear.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    The pictures were too much. the poses were suggestive. Inappropriate for 6 year olds.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    frau wrote: »
    Saria wrote: »
    See, I don't think nude or semi-nude pictures of pre-*****cent children are ever appropriate. Really, why?
    just a matter of questioning our culture and trying so hard not to bring up past arguments, why is it okay to show nudity of infants and 18+ but those in between years are off limits? is it because of choice or because of perverts? i don't see the body during those preteen years as any less beautiful.

    kids.jpg

    there is nothing wrong with these pictures, nothing.
    but in the context of child molesters, yes, there is something wrong.
    we keep children covered up to protect them, right?
    not because there is something really wrong with children in their underwear.


    I think the in between years are off limits because, this probably makes no sense, but maybe it's because some kids develop earlier, I mean some 9 year olds already have hips and boobs, so maybe it is for protection rights? I have no idea.

    but the real question is, why the hell are there so many perverts? am I the only one who's noticed this? I mean it's a little insane. How many seasons of to catch a predator are there, that's TOO many, makes no sense. Makes NO sense. Anyone see the preview for the Lisa Ling special on OWN?
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    Honestly, w/ the exception of a couple of pictures they really do look like little girls playing dress-up. The only difference is that they aren't smiling and the closets that they're playing in are filled with expensive clothes. Dress these same little girls in cheerleader or dance outfits or put a tiara on their heads and people coo & gush about how cute they are.
    33abhqq.gif
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    but the real question is, why the hell are there so many perverts? am I the only one who's noticed this? I mean it's a little insane. How many seasons of to catch a predator are there, that's TOO many, makes no sense. Makes NO sense. Anyone see the preview for the Lisa Ling special on OWN?
    Is there one about pedophiles? I only saw the one on transsexuals and it was good. I missed the ep about faith healers.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    Phoenix wrote: »
    but the real question is, why the hell are there so many perverts? am I the only one who's noticed this? I mean it's a little insane. How many seasons of to catch a predator are there, that's TOO many, makes no sense. Makes NO sense. Anyone see the preview for the Lisa Ling special on OWN?
    Is there one about pedophiles? I only saw the one on transsexuals and it was good. I missed the ep about faith healers.

    Yes. Its about sex offenders, I dont' want to say exactly because the preview I got the last bits, but one guy raped a child? ( I think) and they interview him on what it's like living with his newborn daughter and wife.


    has anyone heard about this?

    Hollie Beston, God-Awful Human, Sentenced to 29 Years in Prison for Videotaping Obese Husband Raping 4-Year-Old Daughter - Seattle News - The Daily Weekly

    why are there so many disgusting people?!
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    okay, i had to read that story twice plus read the other story linked to it to actually believe this really happened. i mean, i believed it happened, but i can't believe that really happened!! i'm in shock. i'm in complete utter shock. i've heard of drug addicts selling their daughters...i just can't believe that someone would do this to their own child with the mother watching!!! filming!!!!!!!!! i can't believe that story.
    i'm really disgusted beyond belief. how is that child ever going to be normal??
    at first i thought, well the mother shouldn't get more time than the father....she needs to get the death penalty!!!!!
    that is the sickest thing i think i've ever read....no, the sickest thing is the man that locked his daughter in the basement in one room for like 20 years and she gave birth to 3 of his children that he sold.
    my brain can't take this. really it cannot.
«1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file