More medical stuff-now for Casey!! Update 8/8/11

xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I think I have posted here in the past about Casey's ear issues. Typical cocker spaniel infections that are pretty chronic. And I will say I am very good about following the entire regimen that is directed by the vet....rinses, pills, stuff in the ears! To no avail apparently.

So, today the vet suggest he be have an appointment to see if he is a candidate for TECA (total ear canal ablation). They remove his ear canal. He will be deaf but may maintain some hearing via sound waves. As she said, his hearing is diminished by the ear infections as well. And overall, the cost is not horrible and as she said, I would spend that on doctor visits and medications for the infections.

It feels pretty drastic. Any one have any experience with this? Thoughts?? Comments?? I am going to do some internet searching as well.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sounds drastic...but I really have no knowledge of that. Chronic ear infections can be absolutely putrid. Poor guy. How old is he?
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sounds drastic...but I really have no knowledge of that. Chronic ear infections can be absolutely putrid. Poor guy. How old is he?

He is 6.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, my poodles have all had ear issues; I believe it's the heavy hanging hairiness of both breeds that does it.

Is the vet sure that Casey is almost deaf now? Does he hate having work done on his ears? If he can stand it, I'd say hold off on the surgery and spare his hearing.

Btw, my female poodle had that ear issue wherein blood vessels burst in the overhang. Surgery took care of it, and she was none the worse for wear (besides her howling while waiting to be picked up at the vets).

HTH, and that Casey gets well soon.
    She did not say he was deaf now but only that the chronic infections could cause deafness. He is very good about having his ears done. I think this vet is saying they are done treating him - at least that is how I took our conversation. I am thinking I may go back to my old vet to see what they think.
    Central Massachusetts

• Bridal.WreathBridal.Wreath Posts: 65Registered Users
    I would seek a second opinion. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    CG since Feb. 18, 2011
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried plucking the hair out of his ears (or having it done at the groomers)? My old girl, Splashy, used to have chronic infections as a pup, but someone told me to have the groomers do this, and it really helped. She didn't like it much, but it really worked to cure her. She had them plucked every 2 months at her regular grooming. They did it quite drastically...she was bald in the ears...like a Total Brazilian. As some women claim with waxing, it didn't seem to hurt her after the first few times.

I took over her grooming myself a couple years ago, and I do not pluck her (I just clip the hair short with clippers and scissors), but she doesn't seem to need the plucking anymore.
    They do take off all the hair around the ear when he is groomed.

I did find a vet's site that listed what he does for chronic infections and this vet has not done all of this. So maybe I will tell them I did some research and what are their thoughts on some of these items. He mentions doing yeast/bacterial cultures - takes 7 days or so for results but I know they have not done this.
    Central Massachusetts

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would seek a second opinion. Maybe you just need a new vet, as that kind of surgery seems drastic. Seems like they just don't want to be bothered. Casey is still young and should have many years ahead of him. If he goes deaf in time then fine, but I would have a hard time agreeing to intentionally deafen my dog. :(
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Sounds drastic to me...have you tried the gentine violet, boric acid, and rubbing alcohol combo. My dogs have neved had another ear infecton, and one is 1/2 cocker!
    Wiregirl wrote: »
    Sounds drastic to me...have you tried the gentine violet, boric acid, and rubbing alcohol combo. My dogs have neved had another ear infecton, and one is 1/2 cocker!

I tried a version of this-white vinegar, boric acid, rubbing alcohol and betadine. I will look up your version again,,,,it cannot hurt!

I agree this seems pretty drastic so I am definitely looking into other alternatives. This vet site I found mentioned a lot of things that can be done for chronic ear issues so I will print that off as well as search for another vet or go back to his original one from before we moved here (it's about an hour away but not a huge distance!).
    Central Massachusetts

• NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a vet, but being able to smell and hear are huge parts of animal instinct. IA that it sounds drastic. I would seek a second opinion.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    I'm not a vet, but being able to smell and hear are huge parts of animal instinct. IA that it sounds drastic. I would seek a second opinion.

This.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I found a purchasable version of the ear stuff Wiregirl so I picked this up today and will try it. Here are their ingredients:
    Ingredients: Isopropyl alcohol, boric acid, gentian violet, colloidal silver

LIQUID HEALTH™
    Central Massachusetts

• WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I found a purchasable version of the ear stuff Wiregirl so I picked this up today and will try it. Here are their ingredients:
    Ingredients: Isopropyl alcohol, boric acid, gentian violet, colloidal silver

LIQUID HEALTH™

Sounds good! I forget to say...if it's just yeast paint the gentine violet right in the ears with a q tip, they will be a lovely blue/purple.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    The genetial violet mix is a miracle worker. Bloodhounds have ear problems too and this is what the bloodhound people recommend.
    There's a lot of info at ItsForTheAnimals.com
    Have you altered his diet at all? When I eliminated all grains and added a high quality food, the amount of ear and skin infections decreased.
    a problem with the heavy hanging ears is that the ears stay moist which encourages yeast to grow. Have you tried keeping his ears pulled back? I used a pantyhose leg to hold the ears open.
    I would get another opinion.
    The genetial violet mix is a miracle worker. Bloodhounds have ear problems too and this is what the bloodhound people recommend.
    There's a lot of info at ItsForTheAnimals.com
    Have you altered his diet at all? When I eliminated all grains and added a high quality food, the amount of ear and skin infections decreased.
    a problem with the heavy hanging ears is that the ears stay moist which encourages yeast to grow. Have you tried keeping his ears pulled back? I used a pantyhose leg to hold the ears open.
    I would get another opinion.

That is where I found the link to buy the product. I am on a 2nd bag of grain free food. It's a bit too early to tell if it is helping or not. I have thought about keeping his ears back but I know he would be shaking his head and the ears would be down shortly. I am hoping the gentian mix will help!!
    Central Massachusetts

Casey is on his 2nd bag of grain/carb free food. So it's been about 2 months or so. I have been trying all kinds of solutions for his ears. Still the same. Gookie. I have no idea where this stuff is coming from in his ears. Man. I will persevere. Just thought I would share. I have done the blue powder treatment both with alcohol and now with witch hazel (the kind with no alcohol-bought from whole foods for goodness sake). I have tried the colloidal silver stuff. I have used probiotic powders in his food. I may start that up again now his system seems all set on the new food.

I have been researching holistic vets this past week. I dunno.
    Central Massachusetts

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Ugh. Sorry you havent seen any change. Definitely add the probiotics to the food. It's going to take multiple approaches to treat his ears. My bloodhound's ear problem weren't severe and it took the food change, probiotics added and the power blue stuff to get them under control so I can only imagine what it will take for Casey's.
    I had a rescue bh that had horrible ears that refused to heal. My vet mentioned that some plastic surgery on the ears which would allow air flow to the ear, could be done before the last resort- total canal ablation.
    Have you been able to get another opinion?
    Ugh. Sorry you havent seen any change. Definitely add the probiotics to the food. It's going to take multiple approaches to treat his ears. My bloodhound's ear problem weren't severe and it took the food change, probiotics added and the power blue stuff to get them under control so I can only imagine what it will take for Casey's.
    I had a rescue bh that had horrible ears that refused to heal. My vet mentioned that some plastic surgery on the ears which would allow air flow to the ear, could be done before the last resort- total canal ablation.
    Have you been able to get another opinion?

I have not gone to another vet yet. I am in the process of doing some research on that end. I have doing some research on vets that lean towards holistic along with traditional.

I will add the probiotics back in to his food in a week or so. I started using them when I changed his food over (gradual change over) yet he continued to have very loose stool (which is unlike him) so I stopped them about 3 weeks ago and his stool has firmed up so I will get him back in them soon.

I refuse to give up!!
    Central Massachusetts

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file