FSG and crunchy hair

Not sure if I did something wrong or not, but my curls feel crunchy not soft and bouncy the way I like them. I made FSG last night. 1c water, 1c aloe vera juice, 1/4 c flax seeds, 1Tbs agave and a few drops of orange EO. It made 6 oz. I used about 2 oz in my hair this morning after a co wash then conditioning which I left most of it in.

I then scrunched with a t-shirt until extra moisture was out, applied FSG then plopped with another tshirt for about 20 min. After that I diffused and air dried. once dry I scrunched again to get rid of the crunchies.

My curls look great but my hair doesn't feel nice and soft, especially at the roots. Maybe I used too much FSG? Not sure what to try, adding oils, less aloe, no aloe? I really want to keep to a simple and cheap recipe, but am open to any and all ideas.

I'm new to the CG method, 4 days only, so could use all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• rj16rj16 Registered Users Posts: 186
    I wish I had answers for you.. I'm quite new to CG and FSG too. Anyway, I found that FSG was sooo crunchy. It made the ends of my curls pointy, almost painfully so and that was without anything added to it. But it scrunched out beautifully for me... However, I have no clue how much I used, probably less, certainly not up to my roots. Sorry I can't really help you!
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    Way too much agave :)

You need to be sparing with Agave and Honey otherwise you will get hard, crunchy hair that is difficult to scrunch out especially at the roots.
    kat180 wrote: »
    Way too much agave :)

You need to be sparing with Agave and Honey otherwise you will get hard, crunchy hair that is difficult to scrunch out especially at the roots.

I've been looking in to what I should add to my FSG. What exactly is agave for? I know honey isn't what I need because it's a humectant, right? Not at these dew points at least! Any suggestions?
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    Agave nectar is a natural sweetener that looks/acts basically the same as honey - both are added to provide hold as FSG on it's own doesn't give much hold. You should be fine with agave nectar - but you need to start of with small amounts and slowly add to see what your hair can handle.

Aloe vera does often enhance curls, but if you have a problem with humectants in low dews I would stay away from it - I don't use it then because it gives me great curls, then causes my hair to expand and frizz when I go outside. But its all about trial and error really - some people do just fine with it.
    Thanks Kat!
  • CurlyCaliGirlCurlyCaliGirl Registered Users Posts: 40
    Thanks for all the info!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file