Possible Pixie?

amh8246amh8246 Posts: 6Registered Users
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a pixie cut, but I'm not sure if my hair type/face shape will support one. I did use one of those websites that let you put different hairstyles on a picture of yourself, and I LOVED how I look with a Emma Watson-style pixie cut. But I don't know if my hair will lay the same way as hers! I do believe that Emma and I had a similar hair type before she got hers cut. My hair is long and has medium thickness. Underneath is about a type 3a I think, I get loose but defined curls. The middle is about a type 2b wave. And on top is actually rather straight. (See why I want to cut it all off? My hair doesn't know what it wants to look like!) Anyway, my hair is very unhealthy and unmanageable, and plus I think a pixie will be good for summer. I wouldn't mind having to put gel in or straightening a little to get it to look right.

But I do have a few concerns:
I have a kind of big forehead with a widow's peak. Would this affect the way my bangs sat on my forehead?
Will the three-type nature of my hair affect the way the cut looks? Or will it be so short that it won't matter?
I don't exactly have a petite frame; I have curves, including wide hips! I've heard that petite girls look better with pixies...
Also, my face is a little bit rounder but with high cheekbones. Can I pull off a pixie?

I'm sorry for all the questions!! This is easily the biggest decision I've ever made concerning my hair; I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. Thanks for the help!

If worse comes to worse, it looks like I'll be doing some hat shopping :jocolor:

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Let me be the first to say I think you are way too critical of your hair. Second: have you got any shorter layers? You'd be surprised how much curlier your hair can look with a layered cut and the weight of hair might be pulling out any wave in the top layer.

If you want to play with shorter hair, you might try doing it in increments. Pedaheh posted this http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/121791-you-looking-new-hairstyle.html featuring shag cuts, which you may be too young to remember... but that might be a good cut for you. If you want a pixie cut, you have to be damn sure about it because it draws all the attention to your face (which is nicely shaped). A pixie cut makes a certain statement. I agree that they look nice on small gals, but only because they don't have any volume, they're so closely cropped.
    If you choose to go shorter, do it in increments because you might find your perfect cut someplace on the way!
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I have learned one thing here it is that I will never be a hair stylist. I can't look at anyone's hair and tell them what style would be good for them. 2 things to keep in mind. 1) Pixies can be hard to grow out. 2) When I had a pixie I was shocked to find I felt efeminated (word I made up to mean the same thing as emasculated). It was not something I expected to feel at all. I should add that I do not have the right face shape for a pixie and shouldn't have tried it to begin with.
    I also think Emma Watson's hair is cute. Carry Mulligan has cute short hair too.carey_mulligan_vogue.jpg
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love short hair and from the pictures you posted, I think it would look great. Could you go to a wig shop with a friend and try on a pixie cut wig?
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I've had super short pixies as well as other shorter hairstyles on and off for years (cutting and growing out my hair is like a second job to me!). And while it was definitely a lot easier to deal with and I got a lot of compliments on it and enjoyed it, it's a good idea to be prepared for a big change. I think a lot of girls get frustrated with short(er) hairdo's because they can't throw their hair back in a pony on a bad hair day and that can convince them to grow their hair back out. I would suggest going shorter gradually and seeing how you like it before chopping it all off in one fell swoop. :evil4:
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • amh8246amh8246 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thank you for the advice everyone. Yeah I'm definitely going to get my hairdresser's opinion first. After all, she's the expert! But I'm going to tell her I want it as short as possible while still looking good. :thumbright:
    I went from below shoulder-length some years ago, gradually to what you'd call a pixie cut. I'm about 5'1" tall and not even 100 lbs. I looked like a pixie. Young kids thought I was a boy. Women loved it, I got a number of compliments -- they think it's daring. I was actually trying to avoid attention of the opposite sex. (Pedaheh commented about feeling efeminated and I think that's spot-on unless you glam yourself up in other ways). Movie stars do indeed glam themselves up. Nevertheless, I fell in love with my husband with that haircut! So you never know. I did that in my mid-20s and I think it was a valuable part of figuring out who I am. I also grew my hair to my waist right after that.

Have fun playing with length!
  • GirlSailorGirlSailor Posts: 45Registered Users
    amh8246 - Did you take the plunge and cut your hair into a pixie cut???

I think it would look great!

I have been very annoyed with my hair as of late and my lifestyle is just not supporting having long hair that takes forever to dry, or finding it all over the place because it falls out everywhere...

I went in a few months back and my hairdresser cut it to shoulder length, but then two weeks ago I got the itch and went in and cut it SHORT!

I have been so sick since, so I have no pictures yet...but will post when I do.

I feel like I have been released from jail a bit...it is so nice to wear it straight or wavy, even shorter, and be able to dry it if I want in five minutes!!! No hair ties...when I have the sunroof down I can just wear it and not have a ponytail holder...FREEDOM!

I love the pixie cut you are contemplating! and I like the one pedahah posted of Cary Mulligan...might be filing that one away for the future.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't think I'll ever quite understand why so many curlies are fascinated with the idea of getting a pixie cut, but I do think you have the face shape and features to pull it off. It'll look good on you.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wavyblonde wrote: »
    I don't think I'll ever quite understand why so many curlies are fascinated with the idea of getting a pixie cut, but I do think you have the face shape and features to pull it off. It'll look good on you.
    I hear ya, although, I had the fascination and did it last May;) it does look cute, the right cut that is. Maybe it's the care-free vision we see with short hair?!?! it isn't always carefree though...
    Emma Watson looks hot. I have such envy over her natural beauty.
  • lovefromgirllovefromgirl Posts: 9Registered Users
    My BC was a pixie, actually, and it looked great on me. My hair is somewhere in the 2b-3a range, rather thick, fine-to-medium. I have a pixie face, too. :) The pixie lay flat on me but had body. Oddest effect? No longer looking like a stiff wind would take me out. Yay! (NB that I think androgyny is a rollicking good time and will happily play around with what gender I appear to be.)

Same advice I give everyone who's considering a drastic cut: do it slowly. See if you can cope. Unless your hair is so damaged you can't do anything with it, the question will keep while you consider the cut.

Good luck!
    s t a r l e t :: @ Fotki
    goals apl :: no more frizz! :: 2nd day hair (yeah, I know)
    wash giovanni TTTT
    condition burt's bees more moisture
    leave in/gel nivea essentially enriched body lotion (!) :: tresemmé tres gel
    can't do heat styling :: no-poo (yet)
    wavyblonde wrote: »
    I hear ya, although, I had the fascination and did it last May;) it does look cute, the right cut that is. Maybe it's the care-free vision we see with short hair?!?! it isn't always carefree though...
    Emma Watson looks hot. I have such envy over her natural beauty.

Yeah, it probably is partly the idea of not having to struggle with uncooperative curls! :toothy5:

When the pixie's done on the right person, it really does look cute. Emma's cut is cute, and Michelle Williams' short 'do is stunning on her.

I know I don't have the right face shape for short hair. I had the Meg Ryan thing back in the 90s, and found out that shorter hair wasn't really for me, though I did like the ease of styling!
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Personally, I like pixie cuts on faces that are wider at top, like triangle or heart shape, big eyes not too wide mouth. Hyper-girly faces, might be the way to put it? I can't rock them as I have a stronger jawline.

But also my hair does NOT lay down right for that sort of cut, it isn't fine enough maybe, or not straight enough, or something. It looks bulky and not in a good way when I go short.

I think from the pictures it would suit your face just fine, you have the big eyes and eyebrows and cheekbones that I think really do look lovely in the cropped cuts.

And it's hair, it grows back, if you don't like it you can just stop cutting, and then you have a whole new crop of hair.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    My hair stylist thought it would look fine, so I went ahead and did it! I absolutely LOVE IT!! I then donated the hair to Locks of Love, which felt good also.

I'll put up a pic for GirlSailor and everyone else so yall can see how it looks :D

For some reason it won't let me upload some of the other pics I have. In the one I posted I have my hair in its natural wave, which takes about 3 minutes to prepare. However, it also looks good straight, which can be achieved simply by brushing it out and blow drying it straight for about 5 minutes, or using a flat iron for about 7 minutes. My preparation time is reduced to like 25% now! It's awesome :)

My hair is lighter, easier to manage, and healthier than ever before. I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out! Thanks again everyone for the advice, and if any of you are thinking of getting pixies, here's MY advice to YOU: GO FOR IT!! One of the best decisions I've ever made :)
  • lovefromgirllovefromgirl Posts: 9Registered Users
    GORGEOUS.

You are rockin' the pixie. Well-chosen. :)
    s t a r l e t :: @ Fotki
    goals apl :: no more frizz! :: 2nd day hair (yeah, I know)
    wash giovanni TTTT
    condition burt's bees more moisture
    leave in/gel nivea essentially enriched body lotion (!) :: tresemmé tres gel
    can't do heat styling :: no-poo (yet)
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Love it. I'm sure it looks great straight too, but I love it wavy.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    Beautiful pixie cut!!! I think the pixie cut is one of the hottest yet cutest hairstyles out there and you are definitely carrying it off very well!! Enjoy it!!!:thumbleft:
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lovely! You look great.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wow it looks sooo good. It suits your face very well. Can you take a straight on photo?!?
    You've kind of got the "Aurdey Hepburn in Roman Holiday" thing in the front. If you haven't seen the movie, "Google" the images. I love that movie. Two beautiful people. Awesome chemistry. Stupid unhappy ending. SIgh* What would the movies be without impossible romances?
    Have fun!
    Here's a couple pics for those of you who want to see the cut at another angle :)
    Looks great on you! Super cute!

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    cutest thing ever. I wish i could pull that off.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
    I LOVE it!!!! Very cute!

When my earlobe heals and I am feeling better I will take pics of mine too. I have been wearing mine straight and wavy...

Happy Saturday!!!

Mountaincurl, You could totally pull it off!
    GirlSailor wrote: »

Mountaincurl, You could totally pull it off!

Aw, you're sweet. :happy4: I tried one of those sites where you put hairstyles on a picture of yourself. I put Carey Mulligan's super cute pixie on and I looked awful. Maybe when I get sick of growing my hair out and I get the courage up...
    Thank you everyone :)

And mountaincurl, I think you can pull it off too! If you don't get it TOO short, you will always have options of how to style it, and you can learn to work with it. I just bought a mini straightener for my bangs which works great, and the rest I just scrunch with mousse. I'm sure you can find an equally easy way to style it, and it will look great :)

But of course, wait until you're ready. I did exactly what you're thinking of doing... I waited until I was sick of growing it out! By that point you should definitely have enough courage to cut it short, like I did. Good luck!
  • elitaelita Posts: 402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It looks very cute on you. I love it!!
    2a underneath, 2b/c on top, medium texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, high density
    mod-CG since Feb 2009
    HG Combo: CJDF, BCDC & AFL
    Other Favorites:
    all things Spiral Solutions and Curl Junkie!! :love5:
    So I did it too...although mine is not quite a pixie...I cut my off gradually in three different hair appointments...more because I think my fairly new-to-me hairdresser didn't know me well and was worried I would have regrets...

I can tell you I am SO glad I cut it off. The eight hours it was taking to dry was ridiculous...I would get out the diffuser and help it but it still took forever...it was HOT and being on a boat a lot in the summer in NC I needed something easier.

I am finding that I am exercising again and it is nice not to have to plan it around washing my hair...plus I just think my face is no longer overshadowed by a ton of hair...:occasion7:

I actually feel more like myself and I do not feel any less feminine than I did before. I am able to take more time to apply makeup in the morning and play with my look that way.

I have always been one to drastically change my hair up at least every 2-3 years...

I plan on wearing it wavy too. I have learned a lot on NaturallyCurly's site about taking care of my hair at any length. I am grateful to all of you for the knowledge you have shared! :love5:
    So cute!!

That's it. I'm cutting my hair off.
    So cute!!

That's it. I'm cutting my hair off.

Yay!!!!! :hello1::hello1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file