Tresemme Clean and Natural?

Not sure if I'm posting in the right section, but hello all! First time poster, loooooooong time lurker here.

I've been considering the lo-poo or no-poo methods for quite some time now. I wear my hair both curly and straight, and in the last year or so, I've noticed my curls (i'm a 3b) have died and my hair gets super greasy very fast. Likely a result of my shampooing and straightening too much :/

Anywho, I wanted to start off with a basic lo-poo method, but I'm not sure where to start.

I'm currently using Tresemme's Clean and Natural shampoo and conditioner. In general, I love it! It's not terribly harsh and it's cheap and easy to find.

I'm curious if anyone else uses it and how it rates on a scale of lo-poo? I've looked at the ingredients and I see no -cones in the shampoo, but it does have Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. The conditioner has no ALS, but it does have one -cone: dimethicone.

How bad are these chemicals? Should I toss these products and go for something milder?

Comments

• nettiemarianettiemaria Posts: 16Registered Users
    Alot of people use that Tresseme condition after their co-wash for extra conditioning. All sulfate (and some that say they are no sulfates, but really are) make my hair tangle, break and dry. The cones built up on my hair and it was orange, thick and unmanageable.

I do not know about any good lo poo poos, so I can't comment on that. Good luck to you!
  • SwingsetAbbySwingsetAbby Posts: 8Registered Users
    Hi! If you're looking to go with no-poo, then I'd ditch the Tresemme shampoo and conditioner. Ammonium lauryl sulfate is a harsh surfactant that'll strip your hair of its moisture. In fact, on the Tresemme website it says that the Clean & Natural shampoo leaves your hair "squeaky clean" -- which is the WORST thing for curly hair to be! As for the dimethicone, it's not water-soluble, which means it'll build up on your hair and you'll need a surfactant to ungunk it. I used to use Tresemme's Flawless Curls shampoo and conditioner, and they just about wrecked my hair.

Everyone's hair is different, of course, but if you're looking for an inexpensive, curl-friendly, no-poo alternative, Trader Joe's has a great line called Nourish Spa that's chock full of organic botanicals. The shampoo is sulfate-free, and the conditioner has no silicones. In the store, they're $2.99 each for a 16.5 oz. bottle; you can also buy them at Amazon, but they're $8.95 a bottle. I've been using them for over a year (the shampoo only every three or four weeks, the conditioner whenever I wet my hair), and my hair has gone from straw-like to healthy and moisturized. I can't recommend them highly enough! (And in case you're wondering, I don't work for Trader Joe's or own stock in the company. I just love these products.)

Curl type: Fine/medium texture, normal porosity
    Co-wash and Rinse-out: TJ's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    Leave-in: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Styling: Naturelle Biotera Styling Gel; Eco Styler Moroccan Argan Oil Styling Gel
    Deep Treatment: GVP Conditioning Balm; still searching for HG
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Actually, Trader Joe's Nourish Shampoo is not sulfate free. None of Trader Joe's shampoos are - I use their Refresh shampoo and I love it, but I am a little bummed that it's not actually CG. I checked all their poo's hoping to switch to one that was CG, but all of them have a sulfate - c14-16 olefin sulfonate, to be exact. Still, any of the shampoos from Trader Joe's are great, IMO. They are gentle, cleansing, and the sulfonate is pretty low on the ingredient list. Plus they are rich in other really great ingredients that my hair loves.
    The conditioner is a subjective thing, depending on your hair type. You haven't said what type of hair you have, so it'd be hard to recommend a condish. I personally don't find the Nourish condish rich enough for me, and it doesn't have enough slip. My hair is thick and coarse. I think it works well for people who have fine hair.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • bliss611bliss611 Posts: 238Registered Users
    If you like Tressemme - they have a Tresemme Naturals line. I'm not 100% sure if the shampoo has sulfates or not but I know for sure the conditioner does not have silicones.
    3B curls
    Medium texture
    Normal elasticity
    High porosity
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    Last I checked, the Tresemme Naturals shampoos have Ammonium Lauryl sulfate. They say "lower sulfates" on the front, not sulfate-free.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file