Hair is doing great, but my scalp is so itchy!

Hi curlies!

I'm a very thick 2c who has been no-poo since the end of November. My waves are locking better, looking shinier, and feeling healthier... but a thick strip of my scalp (behind my ears and below - basically just under the area where my skull ends) has been itching nonstop for a couple of weeks. I had some itch and flake issues before starting no-poo, mainly around my face, but they were resolved once I stopped using sulfates and cones! This has started pretty recently. I'm mostly using Garnier Triple Nutrition and/or Suave Naturals as my cowash, with an occasional ACV rinse. I tried using the JR Liggett's tea tree/hemp oil bar but it seemed to make my itching worse. The only thing that has given me relief so far is some EVOO diluted in warm water, but it's a temporary relief. My skin is generally sensitive to cold, dry air, so I'm thinking that my scalp needs a deep conditioning. What products can you recommend? TIA!

Comments

• cleanteeth68cleanteeth68 Registered Users Posts: 49
    Thickness wrote: »
    Hi curlies!

I'm a very thick 2c who has been no-poo since the end of November. My waves are locking better, looking shinier, and feeling healthier... but a thick strip of my scalp (behind my ears and below - basically just under the area where my skull ends) has been itching nonstop for a couple of weeks. I had some itch and flake issues before starting no-poo, mainly around my face, but they were resolved once I stopped using sulfates and cones! This has started pretty recently. I'm mostly using Garnier Triple Nutrition and/or Suave Naturals as my cowash, with an occasional ACV rinse. I tried using the JR Liggett's tea tree/hemp oil bar but it seemed to make my itching worse. The only thing that has given me relief so far is some EVOO diluted in warm water, but it's a temporary relief. My skin is generally sensitive to cold, dry air, so I'm thinking that my scalp needs a deep conditioning. What products can you recommend? TIA!

This sounds exactly what I used to get..in the same exact spots.. I had to go to the dermatologist and get a prescription for a medicated shampoo called Clobex.. it worked immediately!! I use it prob once a month if I get any flare ups.. but haven't had to since I started doing CG about 3 weeks ago:) It's like a type of eczema ... unfortuantely no OTC worked for me!
  • ThicknessThickness Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply... I hope it isn't psoriasis, especially because I'm pregnant now and plan to breastfeed for a while. That shampoo isn't approved for either :( What type of OTC stuff did you try first? Maybe something will work for me!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    You may be sensitive to something in your CO-washes. I, personally, have very picky, sensitive skin, and am 99% sure that I've narrowed it down to a fragrance sensitivity. I had a scrub recommended to me by IAgirl on the 2's board, after I started a thread about my not-yet-discovered sensitivities. The recipe is: 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar (either brown or white), 1 Tbsp. EVOO, and 4-5 drops of tea tree oil. (You're supposed to warm the EVOO up first, but I've never done this and haven't had any problems.) Mix it up and apply to your scalp in the shower. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Rinse and low poo/shampoo to remove the oil.
    This scrub has done wonders for me, and it really helps relieve all the itchies. I can't tell you how much better my scalp feels after doing this!

Also, here's the link to the thread I started. I got lots of great advice on there, so you may want to read it over. You might find something really helpful on there!

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/119724-greasy-dry-scalp-possible.html

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • cleanteeth68cleanteeth68 Registered Users Posts: 49
    Thickness wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply... I hope it isn't psoriasis, especially because I'm pregnant now and plan to breastfeed for a while. That shampoo isn't approved for either :( What type of OTC stuff did you try first? Maybe something will work for me!

I hear that jojoba oil is great for your scalp too.. I personally never tried it.. The Clobex was the only thing that worked for me.. And it immediately cleared it up! I would check with your doctor to see if you could use it.. It's not something that you have to use every day or anything.. b/c it works so well the first time!
  • ThicknessThickness Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks ladies! Unfortunately that shampoo states on their website that I can't use it, but it's alright since I tried the sugar/olive oil/tea tree oil scrub and already feel heaps better :) That little bottle of tea tree oil will last a long time, too - I didn't realize that you only need a few drops of it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file