Anyone ever have, or heard of someone who has had, a totally painless transition?

lesliegonnacurllesliegonnacurl Registered Users Posts: 478
Just curious.

This morning all I did was do a cowash with Knot Today and squish a little more in my hair before I went to work. Hair looked fine, but not as defined as I like. And I lost almost no hair in the shower.

It got me to wondering just how long I could go before I relax again.

So I was wondering if anyone here, or that you know of ever transition with nothing but wash and gos?

I figured it couldn't hurt to see how long I could go before my differing textures were pulling so hard that I just HAVE to relax.

If anyone knows how to make the file size smaller on a picture on a Mac I'll put up a pic of my hair.
Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

Officially Transitioning since March 2011.
Last Relaxer September 2010

Got some kind of curly bangs going here! And I think my bangs are all natural!

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:

Comments

• lesliegonnacurllesliegonnacurl Registered Users Posts: 478
    Okay, I tried pressing "show file" in iPhoto to find the file, let's see if this works.

One is me on a bus, the other photo is me the same day next to my brother.
    Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:
  • HoneebeeDHoneebeeD Registered Users Posts: 13
    I didn't have any major issues or residual damage from my transition. My routine basically was to wash and condition my hair about every 5 days, blow dry and either keep in a bun or flat iron curls into it that I would maintain via pin curls. I know it is an unpopular opinion but I find that transitioning is easier, especially for the first 8 months, when the hair is kept straight and left alone. I didn't overly manipulate my hair, I only messed with it on wash day.

I shampooed with joico moisture recovery shampoo and used the keracare intensive restorative masque with or without heat for about 20-30 minutes each wash. I attribute my easy transition to that conditioner. It helped keep my cuticle smooth which preserved my elasticity and kept my hair moisturized. For blow drying, the joico kpak balm is excellent as it the paul mitchell super skinny balm. Other products I used when needed were the joico moisture recovery balm, lanza moi moi masque, and dudleys hair rebuilder.

I trimmed on a regular basis throughout and that was it. As I got down to the last couple of inches, I started playing with two strand twists. My cousin would twist my hair with keracare naturals twist cream and set the ends on perm rods. They would last me for 3 days or so and then I would pull them apart and leave them curly for another 2 days or so.
    AKA Gymfreak :hello2:
    Kinky curly 3c/4a mix
    Medium Fine, naturally porous, medium density
    Styling mostly in wash-n-go's

Current Favorite Products: Curl Junkie Daily Fix, Giovanni Ultra Moist and Ultra Sleek Conditioners, Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion, Curl Junkie Repair me and Curl fix, Keracare Natural Textures Leave In, Eco Styler Gel and IC fantasia Gel
    I can definitely see where that perspective comes from. Before I go for a relaxer, since I can't wash, I usually just put some oil in my hair so I can smooth out my curls and put my hair into a bun. I can do that for a few days before before I have to wash again.

What's interesting though, that you mentioned the first eight months. I have not relaxed since September. I am already at the six month mark, and my signature hairdo is washing and going, with a messy bun or ponytail on the third day. Depending on what day of the week it is/work schedule I either wash again after that or do nothing until the next work day/if I have plans.

Typically I can't go too long without washing (unless I'm forced to cause a relaxer is coming up), more than 3 days, because my scalp will start to feel dirty and itch and burn.

When I styled straight, I almost never blow dried my hair, because no matter what heat protectants that were used, may hair just felt dried out and fried by the next day.

Going this long without a relaxer is kinda what gave me the idea that maybe I could just toy with painless transition, and relax if I couldn't get a comb through my hair.

Since most people's curly hair is easier to comb when wet, and I don't do anything to my hair with a comb or brush once it is dry, I theorized that maybe as long as I can comb my wet hair, I can transition with wash and goes? I'll see if it works out.

Thank you for the product rec for the conditioner. I've heard good things about Keracare products, is that conditioner full of protein? (My hair gets hard with protein)

I can't find that conditioner on their website, I wonder if they changed the name?

• teachermrwteachermrw Registered Users Posts: 269 Curl Neophyte
    By the ninth month, the transitioning process became emotionally and physically painful. My hair became more difficult with which to work. Furthermore, I spent longer cleansing/conditioning/detangling/styling my hair than I ever did when I was wearing a relaxer.

The ability to transition for an uber-extended period of time is dependent on a variety of factors. But, those factors were not operating in my favor.
    Your hair is your most important accessory.

event.png
    teachermrw wrote: »
    By the ninth month, the transitioning process became emotionally and physically painful. My hair became more difficult with which to work. Furthermore, I spent longer cleansing/conditioning/detangling/styling my hair than I ever did when I was wearing a relaxer.

The ability to transition for an uber-extended period of time is dependent on a variety of factors. But, those factors were not operating in my favor.

Thanks for chiming in. What you mentioned is exactly what I worry about, that the washing, etc. is going to be difficult. I jumped on the bandwagon, and was using a cleanser for a long time that I finally had to come to terms with that was just tangling my hair. So now I have to figure out what to use instead.

I don't think those tangles necessarily were related to the fact that I hadn't relaxed though.

So did you just BC? For me that is a little harder to do because my line of demarcation is not as obvious, only in a few spots on my head.

Also, I know there's no way I could cut off all of my hair, unless I had a ridiculously expensive lifelike wig waiting in the wings.

I can't find that conditioner on their website, I wonder if they changed the name?

Here is the link to the page

-<<Conditioners>>-

It isn't a protein conditioner. It is more of an acidifying fortifying type product. I bought the big tub of this off of sleek hair and it lasted me close to a year.
    Kinky curly 3c/4a mix

Current Favorite Products: Curl Junkie Daily Fix, Giovanni Ultra Moist and Ultra Sleek Conditioners, Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion, Curl Junkie Repair me and Curl fix, Keracare Natural Textures Leave In, Eco Styler Gel and IC fantasia Gel
    HoneebeeD wrote: »

-<<Conditioners>>-

It isn't a protein conditioner. It is more of an acidifying fortifying type product. I bought the big tub of this off of sleek hair and it lasted me close to a year.

Wow, I was on a totally different site. I was here conditioners

Do you think that a beauty supply store or like an Ulta? I've seen Keracare in Ulta but I don't think I saw that particular product. A pretty large beauty supply opened up by my parents house, but I haven't been in yet and don't know if they sell the cheap crap, or the nice stuff as well.

Thank you! Will definitely look into that in I have breakage and don't want to relax. I'm a little afraid that I won't like my more coily hair, compared to my loose hair, but can't hurt to check it out for a bit I suppose. So far, I really only am starting to notice the coils in the front (right above the forehead), everything is still pretty much blending together.

-<<Conditioners>>-

Do you think that a beauty supply store or like an Ulta? I've seen Keracare in Ulta but I don't think I saw that particular product. A pretty large beauty supply opened up by my parents house, but I haven't been in yet and don't know if they sell the cheap crap, or the nice stuff as well.

Thank you! Will definitely look into that in I have breakage and don't want to relax. I'm a little afraid that I won't like my more coily hair, compared to my loose hair, but can't hurt to check it out for a bit I suppose. So far, I really only am starting to notice the coils in the front (right above the forehead), everything is still pretty much blending together.

Ulta carries it. It kept me breakage free and really helped me maintain the quality of my relaxed and natural hair. I can relate to your feelings. I ended up transitioning kinda accidently lol.
    Kinky curly 3c/4a mix

-<<Conditioners>>-

Ulta carries it. It kept me breakage free and really helped me maintain the quality of my relaxed and natural hair. I can relate to your feelings. I ended up transitioning kinda accidently lol.

Whoops I meant to say "if I have breakage". I kind of feel the same way about accidentally (except I am nowhere near done). I've kept putting off going for the relaxer cause I hate the salon, and cause I don't have the money right now, but no disasters yet, so I got an idea.

Love to hear that it's at Ulta!

Hey Honeebee, do you think that there was anything particularly special about that Joico shampoo?

Hey Honeebee, do you think that there was anything particularly special about that Joico shampoo?

I generally like most shampoo's that are on the lower end of the pH scale. The joico moisture recovery one is one I like because it gets my hair clean and doesn't leave me itching a day or two later like many other moisturizing and cream cleanser type products. You don't need a lot of it at all either. I wash my hair in sections, especially during my transition so I would just rub little bits of it directly on my scalp and move the suds through each section. Other shampoo's I like just as much include the Aveda damage remedy shampoo, the syntonics grothenic shampoo, and the paul mitchell shampoo one isn't bad either.
    Kinky curly 3c/4a mix

I generally like most shampoo's that are on the lower end of the pH scale. The joico moisture recovery one is one I like because it gets my hair clean and doesn't leave me itching a day or two later like many other moisturizing and cream cleanser type products. You don't need a lot of it at all either. I wash my hair in sections, especially during my transition so I would just rub little bits of it directly on my scalp and move the suds through each section. Other shampoo's I like just as much include the Aveda damage remedy shampoo, the syntonics grothenic shampoo, and the paul mitchell shampoo one isn't bad either.

I've used a couple Paul Mitchell shampoos in the past. I don't remember them being horrible, but not fantastic either. I'm going to Ulta on Friday and I'm compiling a list.

• LisaGurlLisaGurl Registered Users Posts: 54
    I agree with teachermrw. Month 9 of my transition was the hardest until now, physically and emotionally. But since month 10/11 it's getting easier and my hair is now 50/50 straight/curly. (just chopped 2,5 inches off yesterday). And I actually think it's going to get even easier during month 11 till 18 when the line of demarcation gets further away from the scalp, because I'm not getting any tangles & knots near the scalp anymore.
    I think all women have probably some issues during a long term transition, except if your relaxed hair acts almost the same as your natural hair, I guess.
    The hardest part for me is that I'm vain and I want long natural hair now.

• teachermrwteachermrw Registered Users Posts: 269 Curl Neophyte
    teachermrw wrote: »

Thanks for chiming in. What you mentioned is exactly what I worry about, that the washing, etc. is going to be difficult. I jumped on the bandwagon, and was using a cleanser for a long time that I finally had to come to terms with that was just tangling my hair. So now I have to figure out what to use instead.

I don't think those tangles necessarily were related to the fact that I hadn't relaxed though.

So did you just BC? For me that is a little harder to do because my line of demarcation is not as obvious, only in a few spots on my head.

Also, I know there's no way I could cut off all of my hair, unless I had a ridiculously expensive lifelike wig waiting in the wings.

The date of my BC is in my signature. :)
    Your hair is your most important accessory.

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file