So much info to take in!

I bought the CG book this weekend and started on Mon, after reading more on-line, with a final sulfate wash in order to get rid of the cones from the mousse and hairspray I was using. For the last eight months or so I've only been using Dr Bronners Lavender bar soap as shampoo and a no cones Trader Joes conditioner so got lucky there.

After the final sulfate wash I used the TJ conditioner, leaving some in and then used a tshirt to scrunch dry after which I added totally twisted gel. I have to admit to being a bit skeptical of not brushing but figured what the heck. For the last few days I have been using Suave Naturals conditioner as a "wash" and then the TJ's conditioner and gel. I am amazed at how soft my hair is and that my curls look better in such a short time. Also, this no brushing thing is great! lol

I've been reading the boards here and am excited to make a batch of FSG as well as honey hair spray, but I do have a few questions.

--I watched the you tube video on plopping but am confused as to when to do it. After applying gel, before gel? How about using clips to help lift from the root? How to I do that if I plop?

-- Seems to take my hair forever to dry even if I use my diffuser. Is that normal due to leaving in some of the conditioner and then adding gel on top? Will plopping help with faster drying?

-- I had my bangs cut a week or so ago because normally I would use a curling or flat iron on them. I'd be grateful for ideas on what to do with them until they grow back out. I was thinking maybe pin curls since they tend to be straight compared to the rest of my hair.

--When I tried to spritz (mixture of water, conditioner, honey and a few drops of glycerine) this morning for 2nd day curls I got a lot of frizz at the crown. Is there a special way to do this so as not to get the frizz?

I think I am a 3a for curl, but not sure on things like porousity, density and such. My hair used to take chemical dyes real well but they would only last a few weeks before the color faded out so about three years ago I stopped using chemicals and started using henna to get the red I am now and absolutly love it! Not sure if any of that matters as far as others giving advice but I want to offer all the help I can. lol

Thanks in advance! I'm so excited to have really great hair for the first time in my life. Woot!

Comments

• SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte
    Welcome! :glasses2: Looks like you've done a lot of research! You're on the right track.

Plopping will definitely cut down on drying time. Squeezing out water in the shower ill also help a lot.

As far as applying products/plopping some people do this:
    How to Follow the Curly Girl Method for Curly Hair - wikiHow

I personally dry my hair as much as I can with towels/plopping and then apply product to damp hair instead of soaking wet hair.
  • CurlyCaliGirlCurlyCaliGirl Registered Users Posts: 40
    Thank you, Saila. I will try drying a bit more with t-shirts before adding product and then plopping to see if that cuts down on dry time.
  • SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte
    No problem! Take care and good luck with your hair journey! :D
  • kristie911kristie911 Registered Users Posts: 154
    Some products need to be used on soaking wet hair (KCCC, for instance) and some just work better on soaking wet hair...some work better on damp hair. It might take trying some different ways to decide what works better when.

If you put product on soaking wet hair, apply product and then plop. If you like it on damp hair, scrunch out the majority of the water, apply product and then plop. Use the clips after you've finished your plop.

I don't notice that it takes longer to diffuse when I'm using products but if I leave a lot of water in it, it obviously takes longer. I can't plop because I end up with a head full of wonky curls but I scrunch a lot and then just walk around and let it air dry for 15 min or so before I diffuse...it helps a lot. If I try to diffuse right away, it takes forever to dry.
    3a/b, fine hair (just lots of it!), average porosity, high elasticity, fragile curls

No Poo and loving it! Gave up my hair dryer and never looked back!

Favorite Condishs: Suave Naturals (cowash) or TRESemme Naturals
    Leave-In: CJ Curl Assurance Leave-in or KCKT
    Curl Creme: AG re:coil or SS Hair Butter
    Gel: HETT, GF Gel

Product Junkie...Swap board addict!
    Thank you, Kristie. This morning I scrunched a lot with a tshirt, then applied the FSG I made yesterday and then plopped for about 20 min. Then I put clips and diffused I guess until about 80% dry. Right now I'm waiting for it to finish drying so I can see what I come out with. lol

I never realized how much I touch my hair until now since I'm trying not to do it. lol

Thanks again!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    I've been reading the boards here and am excited to make a batch of FSG as well as honey hair spray, but I do have a few questions.

--I watched the you tube video on plopping but am confused as to when to do it. After applying gel, before gel? How about using clips to help lift from the root? How to I do that if I plop?

-- Seems to take my hair forever to dry even if I use my diffuser. Is that normal due to leaving in some of the conditioner and then adding gel on top? Will plopping help with faster drying?

-- I had my bangs cut a week or so ago because normally I would use a curling or flat iron on them. I'd be grateful for ideas on what to do with them until they grow back out. I was thinking maybe pin curls since they tend to be straight compared to the rest of my hair.

--When I tried to spritz (mixture of water, conditioner, honey and a few drops of glycerine) this morning for 2nd day curls I got a lot of frizz at the crown. Is there a special way to do this so as not to get the frizz?

Some people like to apply gel before, and some people like applying it after their plop. That's the fun (and hard!) part about this -- there's lots of experimenting involved. Try it out both ways and see what you like! I personally love applying gel before my plop but after I've scrunched out some water (my hair is low porosity and takes forever to dry, so it's still fairly wet at this point). If I apply it afterward, I end up with a crunchy, undefined mess. :pukeleft: Not too cute! But, every curly is different. You may prefer applying it after your plop. Also, if you like to use clips, you would do this after your plop.

Plopping will definitely help with faster drying time. It soaks a lot of water out of your hair, so it will help your hair dry faster. Hair normally takes a little longer to dry if you use products, so if your hair is taking forever, that's completely normal. If I got out of the shower and didn't squeeze water out or anything -- just let it be and applied my products with no plop and air dried -- my hair would probably take the whole day to dry!

Pin curls do work with bangs that you're trying to grow out. I do this sometimes when I'm not lazy and I'd like my bangs to blend in nicely with the rest of my hair, and it works fairly well. ;)

To avoid frizz on second day hair after you spritz it, you may want to make a new batch of your refresher and leave out the honey and glycerin. They are humectants, and most curlies avoid them in the winter because they contribute to extra frizz. Also, you may want to use a pea-sized amount of gel, too, just to give your hair extra hold and another "frizz barrier."

HTH! Keep up the great CG work. :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Thank you! I have come across a few threads on not using humectants not being good in the winter. Thinking of spending the money to have an analysis done on my hair because I really have no clue what to use or not to use which would really help a lot in the trial and error department. For now though, thank you for the tip. I will leave the humectants out and see how it goes.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    You're welcome! Let me know how it works out.

Having the analysis done is a great idea -- it will probably give you a great starting point. Figuring the stuff out yourself can sometimes be confusing!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file