visible bald patches

per_simmonper_simmon Posts: 22Registered Users
I've been fighting the good fight with my Alopecia, but although I have very thick hair it's gotten to the point where it's really visible. I can't begin to tell you how frustrated this makes me- I've tried the conventional medication route, I'm trying Chinese medicine now, but nothing so far has stopped the shedding.

I work at an office where my hair has to be tied back to some degree, and at this point I have so many patches that there are only a few hairstyles left that I can do. It's so dis-heartening to get home after a full day's work and find out that I didn't see that a patch was showing all day. I really need a haircut to trim the ends but I'm afraid to go to the hairdressers. I don't want to find out that if they cut it, then everything will show.

I've also been CG for the past six months, and I'm not really happy with it. There's only one kind of organic conditioner to be found in my area and I have yet to find silicone-free product, and as a result my hair looks..well, it's on top of my head, that's about all that can be said for it. I don't want to go back to sulfates-n'-silicones because I figure that the less I do to mess with my already fragile hair the better, but it doesn't look good.

If any other ladies out there with bald patches who could recommend hairstyles or products that have worked for them, that would be great. I don't know, maybe I'll just shave it all off and have done with it, wear a wig to the office or something. :(
3c, Alopecia, porous like woah.

Struggling to come to terms with my hair, or at the very least a cease-fire.

Cone-and-sulfate free for a couple of months now.

Comments

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    I understand your fear. Losing our hair sucks because women aren't supposed to lose hair. It's that whole double standard- men look distinguished with gray hair, women look old. Wrinkles make men look wise, women look old, etc.

My hair loss is caused by my other health issues and the meds I use for those. Like with most medical issues, most problems need to be treated using more than 1 treatment. I'm using Rogaine, biotin and scalp massage. Thankfully my hair is responding although I did find a new spot around my temple. =(
    I'm assuming you're under the care of a dermatologist or a doctor who's knowledgable in hair problems?

You need to find a stylist who understands thinning hair. He/she will be able to cut your hair so it looks thicker and possibly hide some of the balding areas. When the hair is long and heavy, it just hangs down and the balding areas show more. When some weight can be taken off, the roots get some lift which helps to cover the scalp. A good hair cut makes a big difference!
    Don't let the anxiety over the unknown control you. There is someone who can help you. Ask around. Look thru portfolios, etc.

Product- where are you? Sounds like ordering online may be your only option?
    Or have a friend buy the product then ship it to you?

You're CG but use silicone products? Hmmm. How do you remove the silicone based products? I would imagine you have some build up which makes your hair look worse. I know when my hair clumps together (not in a good way) and hangs heavy, it really shows off my bald areas.

Scalp show throw- have you tried using a mineral eyeshadow to paint on your scalp? Cheaper than the products made specifically for this.

Hair Color- do you color your hair? If not, consider it. Coloring your hair makes your hair thicker which in turn hides the scalp. A product like Robert Craig applies color only and doesn't life so it doesn't hurt your hair.

HTH
  • DailyMantraDailyMantra Posts: 38Registered Users
    I was just going to say, consider lightening your hair if it is dark. I have very thin hair on the back top of my head and it separates in a way that makes the scalp stand out something fierce. Having a lighter color really helps, or highlights to give more depth in general.

Also, a tricky art that I'm learning is clipping my hair before drying to give it more volume. Yesterday I got it right (for a change!) and my husband was in full agreement that it really worked and made a difference. The back wasn't so flat and see-through.

I will also be taking off some of my length very soon. I think lighter-weight hair is much better if hair is very thin.

I hope my little two cents help!
    Speak nicely to yourself. Every day.
    "That so few dare to be eccentric marks the chief danger of our time." John Stuart Mill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2c-3a, fine, thin, porous on ends, normal elasticity
    CG February 2011
    Suave Tropical Coconut Co
    V05 Herbal Escapes Kiwi Lime Co
    Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid Soap
    Apple Cider Vinegar rinses
    Clip at the roots
    Diffuser/pixie method
    Seeking good pomade to seal and hold the curls
  • porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    I was just going to say, consider lightening your hair if it is dark. I have very thin hair on the back top of my head and it separates in a way that makes the scalp stand out something fierce. Having a lighter color really helps, or highlights to give more depth in general.

Also, a tricky art that I'm learning is clipping my hair before drying to give it more volume. Yesterday I got it right (for a change!) and my husband was in full agreement that it really worked and made a difference. The back wasn't so flat and see-through.

I will also be taking off some of my length very soon. I think lighter-weight hair is much better if hair is very thin.

I hope my little two cents help!

These are great tips!

I colored my hair for a while, and I don't remember struggling with thin hair when I did, so I do think that helped. I currently don't have the money to do so, though :(

What kind of clips do you use in your hair? I've been considering the Deva Clips, but if I can find a drugstore alternative, I would be very pleased.
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    porque_pig wrote: »

I colored my hair for a while, and I don't remember struggling with thin hair when I did, so I do think that helped. I currently don't have the money to do so, though :(

What kind of clips do you use in your hair? I've been considering the Deva Clips, but if I can find a drugstore alternative, I would be very pleased.

You can find clips at Sally's Beauty. They have all types of clips available.
  • wavysheilawavysheila Posts: 3Registered Users
    hi, i also do clipping for bald patches, but in a slightly different way than previous poster does.

i have bald patches on top of my head, but the rest of the hair on top (not in other places :sad7:) is still pretty thick. so i use the clips to clip a curl so that it will curl over the bald patches. and then once its dry the curl pattern is strong enough that it pretty much continues to fall over the bald spot.

i'm basically giving myself multiple mini-combovers . . . but without the combing!
  • ViergeVraieViergeVraie Posts: 2Registered Users
    I think mine is pretty thin too (on the sides) since I did my own BC!
    Creating Comic strips from your photos

4a? 4b? IDK!!
  • D. DanielD. Daniel Posts: 1Registered Users
    IF YOU HAD WAITED YOU WOULD'VE HAD A "PRO" CUT!!!
    :sad1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file