Do any of you take ingredient lists with you to the store?

ththdththd Posts: 306Registered Users Curl Novice
I have had a hard time going to the store and remembering what 'cones are OK, what alcohols are OK, what -ates are OK, etc. etc. I don't want to look like a big dork with a big list of all the dos and don'ts. I was in the aisle at the store yesterday and was reading labels for 30 minutes until I just couldn't anymore. My head hurt!
Anybody else feel like this? Do you take lists with you or do you just have a really good memory?
Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
Giovanni weightless leave-in
My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density

Comments

• curlynowcurlynow Posts: 51Registered Users
    Yes,,,when I first started CG, I took my list with me. I took quite a long time to read the labels too. I mainly searched the boards in the beginning to get an idea of what other boardies are using and also hawked product reviews.
    2c-3a~ Medium w/fine characteristics, low porosity, normal elasticity
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I had a little list of ingredients to avoid saved in my phone when I first started. I would (and still do) put product names in the Memo Pad so I dont forget exactly what I'm looking for.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • KeLynnKeLynn Posts: 182Registered Users
    I used to keep a list on my phone, and I'm starting to think I should again.

A few people have given me weird looks or questioned why I was reading the back of every single bottle. I didn't want to explain everything so I just said I had allergies. If they ask more about your "allergies" just give them the "did you seriously just ask me about a private medical issue" glare ;-)
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.
  • SusieQinSusieQin Posts: 212Registered Users
    When I first went CG I took a detailed list with me to Sally's Beauty Supply. I didn't care about how dumb it might have seem. I even had the ladies there helping me look at products. I simply told them that I've been doing research on curly hair and I've been reading that there are these things from my list that are bad for my hair. I didn't get any weird looks are anything. One girl said I was smart for taking such a good interest in my hair.

I say take your list and who cares what others thing. :)
    CG Since 2010
    Hair Attributes: Mixed 2 with 3A undergrowth & no root curl.
    Fine, Thin, Easily Manipulated, Easily Styled, Easy to Frizz, and Easy to damage.

Favorites: CJ Daily Fix, CJ Rehab, Anything Spiral Solutions, Darcy Botanicals Pumpkin Seed

New Goals To restore my hair after dying it twice in two weeks. Learning more about products found in the stores to fit my tight budget. I'm still working on trying to grow out my hair.
  • geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    I used to keep a print out of How to Follow the Curly Girl Method for Curly Hair - wikiHow in my purse. No way anyone could remember all those ingredients. But, gave it away to a dry looking curly looking for new stuff for her daughter at Walgreens.

Now I check out this forum and look online at ingredients before purchasing a specific product. Keeps me from coming home with a bunch of misc stuff instead of the thing I could really use. Much more fun that way too.
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you're that serious about monitoring ingredients, I think it would be easier to research products, ingredients and reviews online before heading to the store.
  • ththdththd Posts: 306Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thank you for all of the replies. I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm not so worried about how I look to other people, my head just hurts reading all of that stuff. After 30 minutes I still came home with 2 products that had polyquats in them and I don't like polyquats. So now I have to return them and try again.
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file