does anyone still use molasses?

Years ago when I did cg, I remember putting molasses in my conditioner. Does anyone still do this? I never knew why I did it back then, but it seems like my hair looked pretty good....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Molasses? I've actually never heard of this! It sounds interesting, though. Heck, people do honey rinses, so why not do a molasses rinse! What did it do for your hair? Details, please! :D
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Registered Users Posts: 1,510
    So I did some hunting on why I did this...I remember doing honey for a while, and then I read that people with dark hair should do molasses instead because honey tended to haven lightening properties.

As to what it did for me....I have no idea. I just know that I saw some old pics recently and my hair looked much better than it does this go around....so I decided maybe I should revisit some of my old products...etc. This afternoon I came home and co washed, with honey (I don't just have molasses hanging around the house) and used some old Aura gel that I used to use...hair looks great. Oy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Oh, thanks! Don't you sometimes have to wonder why you gave up your old stuff? I had stopped using my La Bella gel for a month or so and started with the LALSG, and my hair was looking pretty good. I pulled the La Bella out again, and my hair looked fantastic! "Oy" is right! As for the stuff I was using pre-CG -- sure glad I gave that up, though!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Honey is fine for dark hair if you warm it up first. There is a tiny bit of hydrogen peroxide in it that goes away if it is warmed. I peaked at a thread of people on the long hair community trying to lighten their hair with honey over months. They followed very specific instructions. After months the results were very subtle. I actually didn't see a difference in most colors at all.
    I tried molasses way back when. It is runnier then honey and smells like molasses. Bleck. I prefer honey. Honey makes a big difference for me. Really adds moisture. I mix it with my rinse out and do the spritz and condish method.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Registered Users Posts: 1,510
    I totally agree. I was using some crazy stuff before CG came along! And I had some crazy hair too! :tongue1:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file