C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate

sfaithjsfaithj Posts: 106Registered Users
Trader Joe's Nourish shampoo seems to be cone and sulfate free except they have C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. I understand it's harsh on the hair, but has anyone been able to use a shampoo that has C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, follow it up with an extra moisturizing conditioner, and not felt totally dry and lost curls after your shower?

Thanks!
2a wavy. acv is my friend. flax gelee weighs down my hair too much.

cleansers: giovanni, curls
conditioner: curls
styling: LA Looks sports gel

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I can't.

On my hair and scalp, sodium C14/16 olefin sulfonate is HARSHER than regular sulfates. I'm not kidding. I have more issues with shampoos with it in them than any other ingredient, even lauryl and laureth sulfates. My hair gets dry and crunchy and my scalp itches and flakes like crazy.

Doesn't mean that others haven't been able to use it though...ymmv. My daughters both can.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    sfaithj wrote: »
    Trader Joe's Nourish shampoo seems to be cone and sulfate free except they have C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. I understand it's harsh on the hair, but has anyone been able to use a shampoo that has C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, follow it up with an extra moisturizing conditioner, and not felt totally dry and lost curls after your shower?

Thanks!

There have been quite a few threads on this ingredient...And it boils down to the individual. I use Kinky Curly Come Clean with C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate and I am fine. It depends on a lot of things...Where is it on the ingredient list? In KCCC it is in the middle, so I don't know if that helps (ingredients are listed by how much of the ingredient is in the shampoo). But many curlies, like Rymorg, find it drying...There has been contradicting research too...At one time the Curly Chemist stated it was not harsh, that anything about the numbers 10-12 was fine. But now it is being included in the list of "harsh" ingredients. I also think IAgirl did a test of this ingredient on hair and could not see the cuticle ruffled...Basically, if it works for you, and you do not get irritated, then I feel it is less harsh than a sulfate shampoo, although that is not everyone's experience. I have had horrendous reactions to low poos with just coco betaine...So it is about finding what works for you...
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
    Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
    Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
    Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
    Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It depends on what else is in the shampoo. If you have a combination of detergents, or the addition of oils or humectants, they interfere with the shampoo's ability to effectively "degrease" your hair and scalp. I stuck a hair in straight C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate-containing shampoo once and photographed it under the microscope and it did not show much change -- but there were other ingredients in there mitigating the detergent.

C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate definitely removes dirt and grime better than gentler detergents (personal experience here) -- for what that's worth.

I wish samples were sold of everything so we did not have to commit...
  • sfaithjsfaithj Posts: 106Registered Users
    thanks ladies. the shampoo in question is this one:

Refresh Citrus Shampoo with Vitamin C by Trader Joe`s: Ratings and reviews on NaturallyCurly.com

Olefin Sulfonate is at the top of the list. I haven't actually used it but it got good ratings so I'm interested in checking it out.
    2a wavy. acv is my friend. flax gelee weighs down my hair too much.

cleansers: giovanni, curls
    conditioner: curls
    styling: LA Looks sports gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file