2C with a major frizz issue

naturalblondie88naturalblondie88 Posts: 105Registered Users
I have type 2C hair. It has a mind of its own as to whether or not it wants to curl or wave. Usually my sides are curls/spirals and the back is just a flat mess of waves, and I know this is from straightening my hair and bc my hair is currently over texturized.

For the most part, I got it to curl and look voluminous today, but it is so frizzy! What do 2Cs put on their hair as far as styling products? Today I used Paul Mitchell curl definer (Fast Form? I think) and Catwalk Scrunch Spray to hold. I did the pixie diffuse method with cold or medium heat on low and let it airdry as well. Also, I live in a humid climate. Very humid. I think it was 65% today and low 80s. Hot hot hot!
Mostly 2c
Medium Width, Low Porosity (unsure), and Med-High Density
Frizz is a huge problem for me

Routine currently undergoing maintenance.
Low-Poo: PM Wild Ginger Awapuhi
CO/RO: SN Coconut
LI: GR Sleek & Shine
Mousse: HETT
Gel: HE Set Me Up
Pomade: BedHead Manipulator
DT: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Hair Likes: moisture, pineappling, scrunching
Hair Dislikes: raking product in, glycerin

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Do you use a LI? That should help control some of the frizz. Products that are moisturizing and contain oils and butters are usually great for this purpose, too! Also, you may want to graze some gel lightly over the canopy of your hair while it's wet to help form a sort of "frizz barrier." Pixie diffusing, like you mentioned, is great to do, too, because it controls frizz/poof like magic.

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • naturalblondie88naturalblondie88 Posts: 105Registered Users
    Do you use a LI? That should help control some of the frizz. Products that are moisturizing and contain oils and butters are usually great for this purpose, too! Also, you may want to graze some gel lightly over the canopy of your hair while it's wet to help form a sort of "frizz barrier." Pixie diffusing, like you mentioned, is great to do, too, because it controls frizz/poof like magic.

HTH!

Thanks so much! Today I just threw my hair up in a ponytail with a hat over it, so when I wash it, I will try this! Hopefully I get the frizz under control soon =]
    Mostly 2c

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    You're welcome! Let me know how it goes next time you wash your hair. :) I actually usually get lots more frizz on second and third day hair, but it's also curlier, so it kinda blends in. ;)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Ok tonight I conditioner only washed with a really rich creamy conditioner and applied a keratin intensive treatment to my ends while I finished my shower. I applied a volumizing mousse and curl defining serum. No heat. Air dry. So far my sides are pretty wavy/curly, but the back was practically straight! So I sectioned the back into small buns and hopefully get more curl. The no heat seems to help eliminate frizz and I eliminated my spray gel tonight to see what would happen. Lift is my only concern but we'll see!! Tomorrow I go to the salon for a deep repair treatment (Paul MItchell Awapuhi-they're great!) So that may help my frizz even more.
    Mostly 2c

• anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To control frizz, I like to use Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves Spray. This really seems to help. It is very light and smells great. :) I spray it on my damp hair after I shower. I also like to use it during the day as a refresher. (Spray it on and scrunch).

Another nice spray is DevaCurl Set It Free.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
    I definitely need to write all these products down and go to the store! Frizz wasn't a big issue after last night's experiment (co wash and air drying). My hair is pretty soft this morning, just flat and messy looking. I'm not sure I'll ever get second day hair! I have gotten it a little in the past when my hair was longer, but for now, I think it's too short. My waves and sticking up all over the place haha At least it's soft and feels a bit healthier today and I don't have to go anywhere so it doesn't really matter what it looks like =]
    Mostly 2c

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    using FSG as my base layer really cuts my frizz.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    Check out (and post on) these pages to see what other wavies are doing:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/91898-so-2s-what-did-you-do-your-hair-today.html
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/90412-share-your-hair-biography.html

I too am a frizz prone 2c with an uneven curl pattern. For me, getting more layers cut helped the straighter parts curl. For frizz: more moisture and protein; FSG; icequeen (leave ins on soaking wet upside down hair); pressing instead of scrunching; not touching while drying.

Sounds like you are making progress!
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    anniemae wrote: »
    To control frizz, I like to use Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves Spray. This really seems to help. It is very light and smells great. :) I spray it on my damp hair after I shower. I also like to use it during the day as a refresher. (Spray it on and scrunch).

Last time I read the label on the Wonder Waves it had cones in it. The GF curl shaping spray gel doesn't.
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    crwritt wrote: »
    anniemae wrote: »

Last time I read the label on the Wonder Waves it had cones in it. The GF curl shaping spray gel doesn't.

I think that any cone that has a PEG before it is okay. It is still CG. The word PEG in front means that it's water soluble.

Here are the ingredients for Wonder Waves Spray:

Ingredients
    Aqua (Water) (Water), Propylene Glycol, PVP, Glycerin, PEG 40, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG/PPG 22/24 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Polyquaternium 4, Cetrimonium Chloride, Methylparaben, Polyquaternium 11, Linalool, Limonene, PEG 192 Apricot Kernel Glycerides, PEG 70 Mango Glycerides, Amyl Cinnamal, Citral, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Extract (Lmeon Fruit Extract)
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file