The Frizz Battles

SusieQinSusieQin Posts: 212Registered Users
First things first. *BIG HUG!* it's been forever since I've posted. About a year now. Sorry ladies!

So I've done well with CG and my hair is great, but I have ONE horrid monster I constantly battle. The Frizz Monster knows me all to well. I have lots of fly-aways..... all the time. Putting my hair back in a pony tail means instant halo of frizz.

My hair will look greaay VERY quickly so any anti-frizz products never worked. Leave in conditioners are very tricky for me. I often get the "Wet & Greasy" look when trying to battle the frizz.

So anyone have some suggestions for my fine and super porus hair that would be great. I also work in a very dry and grimey enviroment which causes me to wash my hair every night. So ladies, whatcha got for me? :D :D :D

(PS, for those who might remember me I had my beautiful baby boy back in Nov. and he may yet end up being a little curly too!)
CG Since 2010
Hair Attributes: Mixed 2 with 3A undergrowth & no root curl.
Fine, Thin, Easily Manipulated, Easily Styled, Easy to Frizz, and Easy to damage.

Favorites: CJ Daily Fix, CJ Rehab, Anything Spiral Solutions, Darcy Botanicals Pumpkin Seed

New Goals To restore my hair after dying it twice in two weeks. Learning more about products found in the stores to fit my tight budget. I'm still working on trying to grow out my hair.

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey. Good to see you back. I was wondering about your baby. Lucky you to have a little baby boy. Congratulations.
    Is your siggi up to date?
    Are there humectants (like glycerin) in your stylers or leave in conditioner? Humectants + low dews can cause frizz.
    Also, your hair is healthier one year post CG. It may have different needs now that it is healthier.
    Have you had any luck growing your hair longer?
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • SusieQinSusieQin Posts: 212Registered Users
    Thanks Peda, it's good to be back. I'll have to post baby pics sometime hehe. His hair is curly when it's wet but bone straight when it dries.

I updated my siggi right after I posted. I didn't know about Humectants. I'll have to check that. My hair has always been frizzy. I try to use a variety on my hair depending on it's mood and it is moody lol. Plus the weather here is soooooo unpredictable. We don't have too much in the way of low dews. Espcially since I'm near the beach.

Back in May of last year I ended up cutting my hair really short. Up to my ears and now it is shoulder length again. It is much healthier and has grown so fast. I do have some split ends, but not bad. It needs a little trim, but it is 150% better than what my hair was when I started CG.
    CG Since 2010
    Fine, Thin, Easily Manipulated, Easily Styled, Easy to Frizz, and Easy to damage.

Favorites: CJ Daily Fix, CJ Rehab, Anything Spiral Solutions, Darcy Botanicals Pumpkin Seed

New Goals To restore my hair after dying it twice in two weeks. Learning more about products found in the stores to fit my tight budget. I'm still working on trying to grow out my hair.
    Hmmm. Nothing jumps out to me as a frizz causer. The top 2 usual suspects for frizz are lack of moisture and humectants in high or low dews. It doesn't look like either of these are your issue.
    I will get producty frizz (fake shine, looks like you rubbed a balloon on your hair) from jojoba or shea butter. Some of your products have these ingredients, if that sounds familiar.
    This thread has lists of kinds of frizz and some of the causes. Maybe you can find help there.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/10134-masterpost-types-frizz.html
    When you were away, IAgirl posted a great gelatin PT recipe. It is my new fave. I've discovered that collagen (in gelatin, aphogee 2-step, and nexxus emergencee) makes my hair shiny and makes it much stronger. Here is the link if you want to check it out. I'm working on a more moisturizing version. My not quite perfected version is near the end of the thread.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html#post1517540
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Thats a very useful thread! Thanks.

Top layer of my hair is deff. a surface frizz with lots at the crown. The bottom layer of my hair which is 2C is much less frizzy but looks like it is the Frizzy Tubes.

I did notice that my Co-Wash has glycerin in it. I'll stop that, but I only ever used it on the weekends. I think my main culprit is humidity. There is always moisture in the air here. Now since going CG it is not nearly as bad of course. I only use the butter on the ends of my hair and very very little at that to help keep them sealed since moisture evapporates so quickly.

I'll have to do some more research and check out the PT recipe. Thanks Peda :)
    CG Since 2010

This thread might help.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/78554-high-dew-point-product-support-thread.html
    I hope someone else pops into this thread. I just don't know what is up with your frizz. But fine, porous hair + humidity is always tricky.
    *Big Grin*

I found that thread too! It's helped. I did my first ACV rinse last night. I learned that the vinegar helps make the cuticles stand down closing my hair.

I first used Jessicurl's low-poo, Use my Catlin's condish which has protiens to help fill in and then did an ACV 1/4 to One cup Water and threw in some essential oils. I rinse out at the end of washing and conditioning and then ran cooler water through my hair. I still put in my CJ leave in condish just to help cover the smell though. I hope I didn't defeat the purpose.

I let my hair dry last night and it really spiraled with minimal frizz. The test was sleeping on it and seeing the reaction for this morning. This morning I just spritzed and although It's not as curly I see a nice drop in the frizz espcially at the roots. It's not 100% gone, but it also rained last night. My hair is super shiney too! :D

So I think I will try this once a week for a little bit and see how it goes.

I was looking through the humecant list and I didn't realize that Panthenol was also one. I have a few products with that in there. The humecants attract moisture which can cause the frizz since my hair is fine and porus.

Well, I had to pause my message and go running, the wind has wipped up and now I'm frizzy again lol. I wonder if my work environment contributes too.

I'll be taking a closer look at that thread, my frizz wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't so sensitive to looking greasey.
    CG Since 2010

Hmmm after further reading I think I was confused on how the humecants worked.

Humidity, Humectants and the Dew Point | NaturallyCurly.com

Very helpful also. I'm still thinking that my working environment has some variation along with the humidity and dew points.

Thanks for your links Peda, they've really help me point in the right direction.
    CG Since 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file