Lying About Being Pregnant

curlystateofmindcurlystateofmind Posts: 180Registered Users
I am currently unemployed and have plenty of time to lounge about and ponder the mysteries of life. I have watched a couple of movies recently where the subject of lying about being pregnant to force a man into marriage came up. (Wedding Singer, SATC)

It made me wonder if this happens in real life and if anyone knows of someone who has done this. I'm curious to know what the outcome of such a situation would be. If you say you're pregnant to get a man to marry you then how do you fake it down the road?

I can't fathom a woman using this as a tool to keep a man but I'm sure it has happened to someone somewhere. Anyone know of a situation like this?:happy1:
Used to be a member, left for awhile, now I'm back.

Comments

• ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am currently unemployed and have plenty of time to lounge about and ponder the mysteries of life. I have watched a couple of movies recently where the subject of lying about being pregnant to force a man into marriage came up. (Wedding Singer, SATC)

It made me wonder if this happens in real life and if anyone knows of someone who has done this. I'm curious to know what the outcome of such a situation would be. If you say you're pregnant to get a man to marry you then how do you fake it down the road?

I can't fathom a woman using this as a tool to keep a man but I'm sure it has happened to someone somewhere. Anyone know of a situation like this?:happy1:

I actually had a friend suggest I do this when I was crazy about a guy after my divorce who obviously wasn't feeling the same way. Of course I ignored her, but this was in the 1990's for crying out loud, long after I thought anyone would do this. And yes I worked with a woman in the 80's who had done it. She admitted it, but her claim was "he didn't have to marry her", but she wanted him to be the father of her kid. Yeah right. He ended up leaving her for a woman whom she described to me as her EXACT opposite physically. Guess he couldn't wait to get away from her. But yes, people USED to do this, but I don't know about now.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    If you've only just seen this, you don't watch telenovelas.
    It's an oft-used plotline, often following the "get him drunk and try to sleep with him, but he falls asleep, so you make him think you had sex by taking off his clothes and yours and waiting till morning, then having sex with someone else, because you're guaranteed to end up pregnant from that one sexual encounter" storyline.
    Never seen it in real life, but they must get it from somewhere, right?
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Posts: 1,024Registered Users
    It was a plot forever on Glee. :tongue5:
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    ^ Yes it was.

But he is particularly stupid.
    sdc wrote: »

I actually had a friend suggest I do this when I was crazy about a guy after my divorce who obviously wasn't feeling the same way. Of course I ignored her, but this was in the 1990's for crying out loud, long after I thought anyone would do this. And yes I worked with a woman in the 80's who had done it. She admitted it, but her claim was "he didn't have to marry her", but she wanted him to be the father of her kid. Yeah right. He ended up leaving her for a woman whom she described to me as her EXACT opposite physically. Guess he couldn't wait to get away from her. But yes, people USED to do this, but I don't know about now.

I just realized that you were talking about women who are pretending to be pregnant. I was talking about women either recommending actually getting pregnant or actually doing it. I don't think it was entirely uncommon back when I was young. Birth control pills weren't widely available until I was in college and women weren't really expected to do much except get married. Although I met plenty of women in college with career plans, I'm just saying that getting married straight out of high school was also quite common and a large portion of my large graduating class did just that. I probably would have if I had had a serious boyfriend. I only went to college because I had nothing better to do and my parents said they would pay for it.

ETA: I'm really glad I did go to college and did not get married. I did end up getting married at 22 and divorced at 37. Twenty two is awfully young. I am happily remarried though so it worked out.
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    The idea of this is sooo stupid to me. My fiancee and I were together when I got pregnant & still are. However my sister in law suggested that I marry him once I got pregnant bc "it would make it harder for him to leave".

BS! No marriage, baby, etc. is going to stop a man from leaving if he really wants to. It may delay it some (by having to deal w/all the legal work) however if he doesn't want you then he doesn't want you. You may still be legally married but he's living in another place or else coming home to you after he's been out w/another woman.

So all in all it's a bad idea. Story plot or real life!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
    The idea of this is sooo stupid to me. My fiancee and I were together when I got pregnant & still are. However my sister in law suggested that I marry him once I got pregnant bc "it would make it harder for him to leave".

BS! No marriage, baby, etc. is going to stop a man from leaving if he really wants to. It may delay it some (by having to deal w/all the legal work) however if he doesn't want you then he doesn't want you. You may still be legally married but he's living in another place or else coming home to you after he's been out w/another woman.

Of course it's stupid, but the point of the thread is does anyone know anyone who has done it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I had a coworker who did it. She claimed she was pregnant with twins.......happily told us so the day she "came back from her ultrasound", and told us it was "a boy and a girl".

I have no clue why she'd do such a thing. As time went on, people whispered about it but nobody wanted to actually say anything. I mean, how would one go about even bringing something like that up? Furthermore, I guess folks kind of didn't think it was any of their business, and thought that inquiring was a little too personal.

She was a known pot-stirrer and rampant liar but I guess folks believed her because.....who would lie about something like that? It was all very strange. I mean, she would come in with new developments like what baby furniture she was looking at, what her mom said, all sorts of normal baby convo.
    sdc wrote: »

Of course it's stupid, but the point of the thread is does anyone know anyone who has done it.

No really? I guess I didn't understand that. Thank you for pointing that out to me!

I'm very much aware of what it was about as I'm sure you are. I was commenting on what my SIL suggested I do if you actually took the time to read what I wrote.

So instead of commenting on how you think I didn't answer the question and my opinion why don't you focus on posting your response?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    There's one (former) couple I know that possibly had something like this. They were on the outs, and she called him crying, saying she was pregnant. Then a week or two later, she said she'd had a miscarriage or something. Who knows the truth. They are no longer together.

There was a thread on here a few months ago about someone whose ex-boyfriend had a new girlfriend who claimed to be pregnant. (Was it Nej?) I wonder how that situation turned out.
    ehLB.jpg
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yes, I know someone who did this. I don't really want to elaborate because it's pretty painful memory, but I do know someone who pretended to get pregnant to get a man.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    The prior post just reminded me of what happened to one of my friends/co-workers. He had been casually seeing this girl (no committment just friends w/benefits) for ab two months when she claimed she was pregnant & it was his.

He made her get a pregnancy test & sure enough she was but he would come to work everyday asking us what we thought bc they had only had sex a few times but yet he could recall her having "pregnancy symptoms" from the day they met.

He told her that he didn't want to be w/her & that he would pay for the abortion if thats what she chose to do. Come the day of the abortion appt he calls me at work all upset yelling that she had lied to him.

I asked him what happened & he said that when they scheduled the appt she told the doc that she was only ab a month along (I've never had an abortion but I know many who have & the price of the abortion depends on how far along you are). So they are doing the sono before they start the procedure & the doc says that will $300+.

My friend was like wtf! How did that happen? When we called you said it was $100 some. They were like that was bc we thought she was only a month. Shes actually three months along! He was sooo pissed! He still paid for her to have the abortion but left her there. I don't know how she got home but I know for the next 5months she would call our job every damn day 3 to 4 times each day asking if he was there. It was nuts!

event.png

event.png
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    I had a coworker who did it. She claimed she was pregnant with twins.......happily told us so the day she "came back from her ultrasound", and told us it was "a boy and a girl".

I have no clue why she'd do such a thing. As time went on, people whispered about it but nobody wanted to actually say anything. I mean, how would one go about even bringing something like that up? Furthermore, I guess folks kind of didn't think it was any of their business, and thought that inquiring was a little too personal.

She was a known pot-stirrer and rampant liar but I guess folks believed her because.....who would lie about something like that? It was all very strange. I mean, she would come in with new developments like what baby furniture she was looking at, what her mom said, all sorts of normal baby convo.
    wait so...what happened after nine months? did she say that she had a miscarriage?

I'm absolutely puzzled. how can you lie about being pregnant? i mean, aren't there some obvious physical signs...like your stomach...like a baby??
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sarah42 wrote: »
    There's one (former) couple I know that possibly had something like this. They were on the outs, and she called him crying, saying she was pregnant. Then a week or two later, she said she'd had a miscarriage or something. Who knows the truth. They are no longer together.

There was a thread on here a few months ago about someone whose ex-boyfriend had a new girlfriend who claimed to be pregnant. (Was it Nej?) I wonder how that situation turned out.

Yes it was me!! She is pregnant and is having a boy. She is still trying very hard to get back together with him (they casually dated for a month and after he broke up with her it was another 3 weeks before he found out she was pregnant) and his family (I'm close with his sister) still thinks she did it on purpose.

They are being civil and he is being there for her the best he can without leading her on. Hopefully they can transition into successful co-parents!
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    CurlyEyes wrote: »

wait so...what happened after nine months? did she say that she had a miscarriage?

I'm absolutely puzzled. how can you lie about being pregnant? i mean, aren't there some obvious physical signs...like your stomach...like a baby??

If my memory serves me correctly, nothing was ever said re: miscarriage. Nothing just ever happened. She stopped talking about it (announcing baby-related stuff, purchases, etc.) after awhile.

Her best friend worked there too, and another coworker told me she would overhear them arguing, the friend demanding that she tell her the truth, that she "called the office and they said you were never there", etc. Apparently she was lying to the friend, too.

As far as "calling the office", I'm not sure how true that part is, because I'm not sure if that info can be released due to HIPAA laws.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    What's up with the hostility in the thread. This is supposed to be a peaceful thread and craziness ;-)

I know someone who lied about being pregnant ( I can't remember if it was to keep a guy) baby shower and all but no baby. Strange.
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Ha! My ex-husband's current girlfriend lied for months about it and he just found out a week or so ago that it was all made up.

I don't know why she did it or how in the world he didn't know it was a lie, but people actually do do it apparently. Madness.
    DPTFm5.png
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know how abortions are priced, but I've never heard there's a sliding scale based on how far along you are.

The closest thing I know of is the case of a man I dated briefly, who met a woman at a wedding and slept with her. She got pregnant; he proposed. Her mother started the wedding planning. The woman had a miscarriage. The two decided to proceed with the marriage, regardless. They had the wedding, had a few kids, but never really clicked. So, now they're divorced, with two 'tweens. I guess the lesson is that they didn't have anything in common besides her initial pregnancy.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    Never knew a woman who faked her pregnancy, but unfortunately know one who lied about being on birth control so she could get pregnant in an attempt to save her relationship. (The guy got an equal "Tsk tsk" from me for not using any protection himself, especially since they'd been having problems.) Of course they broke up anyway, and the kid is the one who ultimately pays the price.
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What's more outrageous, faking a pregnancy or not knowing you're pregnant until you spontaneously crap out the baby? (There's a TV show called "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.")
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

I think not knowing is more outrageous. Faking is lying, of course, but not knowing is.....weird. No symptoms? None?
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    You fargin know there is a bun in the oven.
    I call BS......
  • MiseMise Posts: 346Registered Users
    Well, I don't know of anyone who didn't know they were pregnant right up to giving birth, but I did know someone (friend of a friend) who was almost 6 months gone, before she found out. Had spotting / light period every month until then. They'd been trying, so it was a nice surprise.
    Think I'm 3b-ish...maybe some 3a there too...plus wavy roots....I'm just a mixed bag!:D CG since August '05
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There have been a couple of curlies here who didn't know they were pregnant. One of them I believe was Curlykeltie for something like that. She posts mainly of P&P. I'm not going to argue about what they did or didn't know. If they said they didn't, I believe them.

I worked knew 2 women who didn't look PG until around a month before the baby was due. There was another women I knew who didn't know until she was 6 or 7 months I believe. She said she was still getting her periods.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    Wow!

I would be beside myself if such things were happen to me. Happily, both posters were in good situations.
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    My mother didn't know she was preggers with me until she was 6 months. still had a regular period ddin't gain a pound. when she starting feeling sick adn loosing weight was when she went to the doctors and found out i was coming along. she was totally shocked!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    How can folks be shocked if they are doing the deed? :dontknow:
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    How can folks be shocked if they are doing the deed? :dontknow:

well, my mom was on birth control. she also had been pregnant twice before and miscarriaged. the doctor told her she can get pregnant, but may never be able to carry any to full term. i was a premie. my mom had another miscarriage 4 years after me and almost lost my sister 3 1/2 years after that. before me, she thought she would never be a mother.
    One more: Here's CurlyCanadian's story!

I like reading these.

SL APL BSL MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file