Cotton wool crunchy fluffy hair?

joeyEmmajoeyEmma Posts: 89Registered Users Curl Novice
My hair is going all funny in a way that it never has done before.

My curls (which were so soft and clunky and curly when I had my Devachan cut last week) are frizzy, not clumping and not curling. In addition my hair feels crispy, almost somewhere between cotton wool and wire wool. Ive never had hair like this before. I've tried swapping my products around but without luck. Over the past couple of weeks I've switched between the following
Deva NoPoo
Deva OneC or Biolage Conditioning Balm as a rinse out & tiny but more as a LI
Deva Arc Angell or Boots Pink with CJ CIAB

So what is it? Do I need more moisture or protein? How do I tell what it is?

Protein?

Or moisture?
UK curly.

3a-ish, with bits of 3b ringlets underneath and 2b/c waves on canopy. Medium coarse, normal elasticity, normal porosity (now know thanks to Curl Wizard analysis).

No poo- Palmers conditioning cleanser
DT- Jessicurl WDT or Darcy's Pumpkin
Styling- John Frieda curl controller gel
Don’t like- Deva NoPoo, JC CC, JC CQ, KCCC, plopping.
Loves air drying gentle scrunching with microfibre towels
Don't like plopping, pixie method diffusing

Comments

• naturalblondie88naturalblondie88 Posts: 105Registered Users
    My curls have been this way my entire life. The end of each curl is frizzy which leads to more frizzies, and as a results, I've damaged my hair more with straighteners and hair dryers because it's the only way I can make my hair soft and shiny. I'm curious about what to do about this problem as well bc in the spring/summer, I wear my hair curly more due to high humidity in my area. Today it was a frizz ball on my head! =[
    Mostly 2c
    Medium Width, Low Porosity (unsure), and Med-High Density
    Frizz is a huge problem for me

Routine currently undergoing maintenance.
    Low-Poo: PM Wild Ginger Awapuhi
    CO/RO: SN Coconut
    LI: GR Sleek & Shine
    Mousse: HETT
    Gel: HE Set Me Up
    Pomade: BedHead Manipulator
    DT: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Hair Likes: moisture, pineappling, scrunching
    Hair Dislikes: raking product in, glycerin
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Huh.

Tresemme shampoo & condish did this to my hair, never did figure out what it was but it was awful.

The Deva No-Poo wasn't any good for me, I use it on the fine-haired daughter and her hair likes it, but everyone else in the household does better with the DevaCare Low-poo, so maybe try that?

Anyway - I'd think of the No-Poo as the most likely suspect in your lineup.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • joeyEmmajoeyEmma Posts: 89Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hmmmm.... You could be right. Thinking about it the only product I have consistently used this past week is the No-Poo. How frustrating is that? I spent $80 on Deva products whilst on vacation in NYC and I don't like many of them. The Arc Angell leaves my hair feeling gunky on the second day, the Mister Right does nothing and now I think the No-Poo is stripping my hair. The only good thing seems to be the One C. I should have saved my money and tried out some Jessicurl or Curl Junkie.
    UK curly.

3a-ish, with bits of 3b ringlets underneath and 2b/c waves on canopy. Medium coarse, normal elasticity, normal porosity (now know thanks to Curl Wizard analysis).

No poo- Palmers conditioning cleanser
    DT- Jessicurl WDT or Darcy's Pumpkin
    Styling- John Frieda curl controller gel
    Don’t like- Deva NoPoo, JC CC, JC CQ, KCCC, plopping.
    Loves air drying gentle scrunching with microfibre towels
    Don't like plopping, pixie method diffusing
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    joeyEmma wrote: »
    Hmmmm.... You could be right. Thinking about it the only product I have consistently used this past week is the No-Poo. How frustrating is that? I spent $80 on Deva products whilst on vacation in NYC and I don't like many of them. The Arc Angell leaves my hair feeling gunky on the second day, the Mister Right does nothing and now I think the No-Poo is stripping my hair. The only good thing seems to be the One C. I should have saved my money and tried out some Jessicurl or Curl Junkie.

:( Well still you learn something! I like the DevaCare OneC a lot and the Arc Angell works very well for me, you may like it better in the summer. But not the NoPoo, it just didn't work, somehow more drying than the LowPoo for me and hair didn't feel clean at all.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • nettiemarianettiemaria Posts: 16Registered Users
    Mine was like this before going Conditioner only washing - about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Actually even after that (yesterday to be precise - tried a new product - Ick). Day before, really good though. Today - I'm doing the same thing.

1st - I did Suave Coconut Conditioner for the wash.
    Then I had to condition from the really bad stuff I put in yesterday.

My suggestion - deep condition afterwards. I haven't really found a good one - but EV Olive Oil works pretty good. Coconut oil made my hair worse. Too bad it's so heavy to ship - I'd love to give it away to someone.

Grape Seed Oil!!!!! Works absolute wonders.
    After washing and towel drying, I use just a little bit - not enough to make my hair greasy - I put a little bit on when it is wet (about 3 to four drops), doing the ends first and then the rest of my hair. After about 3/4 dry - put a little more on the straglers.

Used Herbal Essences Set me up gel for a styler.

I hope this helps.
  • naturalblondie88naturalblondie88 Posts: 105Registered Users
    Mine was like this before going Conditioner only washing - about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Actually even after that (yesterday to be precise - tried a new product - Ick). Day before, really good though. Today - I'm doing the same thing.

1st - I did Suave Coconut Conditioner for the wash.
    Then I had to condition from the really bad stuff I put in yesterday.

My suggestion - deep condition afterwards. I haven't really found a good one - but EV Olive Oil works pretty good. Coconut oil made my hair worse. Too bad it's so heavy to ship - I'd love to give it away to someone.

Grape Seed Oil!!!!! Works absolute wonders.
    After washing and towel drying, I use just a little bit - not enough to make my hair greasy - I put a little bit on when it is wet (about 3 to four drops), doing the ends first and then the rest of my hair. After about 3/4 dry - put a little more on the straglers.

Used Herbal Essences Set me up gel for a styler.

I hope this helps.

I think I'm gonna start the conditioner only washing tonight. I use Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger shampoo, which is sulfate free and a moisturizing shampoo, but maybe it's part of my problem? Great advice!
    Mostly 2c
    Medium Width, Low Porosity (unsure), and Med-High Density
    Frizz is a huge problem for me

Routine currently undergoing maintenance.
    Low-Poo: PM Wild Ginger Awapuhi
    CO/RO: SN Coconut
    LI: GR Sleek & Shine
    Mousse: HETT
    Gel: HE Set Me Up
    Pomade: BedHead Manipulator
    DT: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Hair Likes: moisture, pineappling, scrunching
    Hair Dislikes: raking product in, glycerin
  • nettiemarianettiemaria Posts: 16Registered Users
    I just can't believe the difference in my hair. It's shiny - has body - it's a pain though to do the conditioner washing only. Usually I go to sink first to rinse before heading to the shower and start "washing" it there, plop it up in a towel and then off to the shower I go (saves water and I don't have to deal with more than I have to of the cool water in the shower.

Do you have a no silicone shampoo to clarify with first?

Then it's on to the no silicones and alcohol. I wished I would have found out about this 10 years ago - if only I could have $1 back for each thing I tried - I could probably pay my car off.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file