Plopping?

Debh366Debh366 Posts: 218Registered Users
I was reading a thread and some of you were talking about plopping. I think this is where you put product in your hair, get a t-shirt and wrap it around your head to get your hair to curl better. Is this correct? If so, how long do you keep the t-shirt on?

I tried this about a week ago. How do you get the t-shirt to tie and stay on your head? I used one of my husbands HUGE shirts and couldn't get it around my head. Do you cut up the shirts or use them as they are?

Is towel drying a no-no? My hair has been frizzy lately and I'm wondering if that's why.

Thank you for the help! I'm learning so much on here.
´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Cowash: Suave Strawberry, Tresseme Naturals Moisture
Lopoo: L'Oreal EverSleek
Style: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, sometimes Alba
Techniques: Just use ShamWow after I put product in damp hair and crunch. Works well for me, my hair holds a good wave all day. 2nd day hair is even better.

Comments

• Debh366Debh366 Posts: 218Registered Users
    Nevermind, I did a search and found instructions, but I still can't figure out how to tie the t-shirt. LOL!
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Style: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, sometimes Alba
    Techniques: Just use ShamWow after I put product in damp hair and crunch. Works well for me, my hair holds a good wave all day. 2nd day hair is even better.
  • mesuemesue Posts: 244Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Using a t-shirt didn't work for me. I prefer plopping with the flour sack towels like the link in my sig describes.
    Sue

Axed the perpetual ponytail and went curly on 1/6/2011.
    Hair Properties: 3a/b, fine-medium texture, thick density, normal porosity.
    Still experimenting with products and routine.
    So far, I like: FSG, GTTTT, V05 Conditioners, protein treatments, this towel.

"Well, as soon as we get ourselves cleaned up and we get a little smellum in our hair, why, we're gonna feel 100% better about ourselves and about life in general." - Ulysses Everett McGill
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There are many youtube videos about plopping. I pretty much use this method:
    YouTube - The Art of Plunking- Fab Curls for Curly Hair Girls
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Why can't we use cotton towels for plopping? I don't understand why it has to be a flour sack or t-shirts. Are they not 100% cotton? What's the difference?

Thanks!
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Terry cloth roughs up the cuticle. Flour sack, 100% cotton t-shirts, microfiber towels are all fine.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Thanks Padaheh!

So I plopped for the first time this morning. At first I hated the way it looked. My hair is really blonde, but when wet, it looks very dark - a dishwater blonde and I hate that.

So of course it was still wet and looked very dark, but as it is drying, its looking better and better.

I got some nice wave going, even with the straight part on the top layer. I'm happy with it.

My only problem is I usually wash my hair in the evenings unless I do cardio in the a.m. So when I do it at night and I plop, I'm afraid the wave will come out while I'm sleeping. I'm wondering if I should just condition my hair at night, rewet it in the a.m. and then plop. Any thoughts?

I also need to find some good product that doesn't make my hair frizzy. The ones I have are doing that. I need some sort of wave cream w/o silcone that will control that problem.
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

You might want to try plopping overnight to see if it works for you. The first few times I tried it, I could not keep the plop on my head, but I did it again last night (because I have an early thing today) and my hair looks awesome! So now I have time to read the forum instead of rewetting my hair. LOL

The plop still came off about 2 hours before I had to wake up, but my hair was set enough that the other 2 hours of sleeping didn't mess it up.
    Sue

"Well, as soon as we get ourselves cleaned up and we get a little smellum in our hair, why, we're gonna feel 100% better about ourselves and about life in general." - Ulysses Everett McGill
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I usually just use a scrunchie to tie the two "sausage rolls" together in the back of my head. So, it kinda looks like I have a little tail sticking out back there -- so NOT attractive, but I only do it around family anyway! ;) I like to plop for as long as I can -- anywhere from an hour to two hours. The longer I plop, the less water I have in my hair, the faster my hair dries, and the less my curls get pulled out. This completely varies from person to person -- I know people who only plop for five minutes tops -- but I am a plopping fanatic. ;) I couldn't live without a plop.

Most of us use either floursack or microfiber towels or t-shirts to plop with so our hair doesn't get ruffled up and frizzy, like Pedaheh said, with the regular terrycloth towels. I like the microfiber ones because they are super absorbent and super soft -- less frizz!

Also, I second what Mesue said about the overnight plop if you shower in the P.M. I've heard about reverse-tying it (so the "tail" is in the front) so it's comfier to sleep with.

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Thank you all for the replies. I think I've decided I don't care much for plopping. I did it again last night, kept the t-shirt on for about 3 hours and although I had some nice waves/curlies, the top of my head looked plastered to my head. Didn't like that too much. This morning I just sprayed some water on it, put in some product and scrunched. It looks ok, about the same as when I just scrunch opposed to plopping.

I'll play around with it some more and see what results I get. I may try another gel product and see if that's the reason the top of my head looks weird.

Again, thanks for all the comments!
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

• geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    To protect damp hair while getting dressed (most important) and set in curl, I plop into a long-sleeved t-shirt using this method. If I plop too long, my hair is sometimes flat-topped and fuzzy. Have not figured out the super long plops others have success doing. I usually plop for 10 mins, max 30.
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    I usually just use a scrunchie to tie the two "sausage rolls" together in the back of my head. So, it kinda looks like I have a little tail sticking out back there -- so NOT attractive

Ha ha! You're so right-- the little tail thing is goofy :D Instead of tying my plop in the back, I would use two scrunchies to make Princess Leia buns on the side of my head and then i would walk around the house saying "help me obi wan kenobi you are my only hope." My family was not impressed.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
    I usually just use a scrunchie to tie the two "sausage rolls" together in the back of my head. So, it kinda looks like I have a little tail sticking out back there -- so NOT attractive

Ha ha! You're so right-- the little tail thing is goofy :D Instead of tying my plop in the back, I would use two scrunchies to make Princess Leia buns on the side of my head and then i would walk around the house saying "help me obi wan kenobi you are my only hope." My family was not impressed.

HA!! :laughing1: This brings back memories. My dad used to call me Princess Leia EVERY time I plopped! It was my new nickname, and I hated it, but I had to crack up every time he said it. He even referred to it as "the Princess Leia towel." I think he's gotten used to it now, because I haven't gotten that in a long time. But he still tells me how funny I look, along with the rest of my family. That's why I never plop when we have relatives staying with us. :tongue5: I manage to contort my towel somehow so it looks like a turban, but it's really a "plop"!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    At least they are good-natured about it :p hehe. Wavy, I really want to see pics of your hair! I'm a redhead too but we have totally different hair types.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
    Ha ha! Aw, thanks! I don't know if I'll be posting pics of my hair soon, but I can tell you that it's darker than yours -- a lot longer, too! Probably a little curlier, too, on the 2nd day. You are right, though -- our hair is completely different!

Favorite...
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Deb--I don't think plopping is for everyone. I tried it for a while when I first came here, but I experienced the same thing you did. The top was completely flat. And to make matters worse, my less-curly underlayer straightened out with plopping. I think plopping probably is fine if you have a really strong curl pattern. Mine is more finicky.

What I do instead is scrunch the water out with a microfiber towel. That way, I get less water, and my hands never touch my hair and create frizz.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • tashtash Posts: 112Registered Users
    I plop with a t shirt. I used to not be able to keep it on my head all night (I shower at night, plop, and keep it plopped until after I get dressed in the morning. I used to roll the shirt and tie the sleeves in the back, but that hurt my neck and ears sleeping on it. Now I fold it and it's much more comfortable and I can keep it tight all night.

I don't know if anyone else does it that way or has instructions online that are better then what I can describe. But basically (after gelling and scrunching with a waffle weave towel) I start with the sleeves closer to me. gather my hair in the center as much as possible. then take the bottom corners of the shirt up and around my head so they nearly touch on my forehead. Then I take the sleeves and fold them a few times (so I can see when it's done) and tie behind my head. It looks less turbany and more like an old fashioned head scarf (where there are 'corners', like you see old time maids wear on movies).
    2b/c with some 1 and 3a tendencies. fine-medium, still searching for the HG..... Hair Bio
    @wavyblonde - Your hair is beautiful! Love it!

So I decided to keep at the plopping and have decided I do like it. I definitely get better waves/curls when I do it. I don't do it right after my shower anymore, though, I wait until morning, spray down my hair, put in product and plot for about 45 min. to an hour. Works very well for me.

ANOTHER QUESTION:

What do you all do with your bangs? I have bangs that reach just below my eyes and I just can't get them to look right. I've kept them in while plopping, I've combed them out and pull them back with a clip but they just look stupid. I end up wetting them back down and using my curl brush to get it rounded. Is there anything else I can do with them?
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

• joyfulheart18joyfulheart18 Posts: 14Registered Users
    Hi guys...

I find my hair gets "crushed" overnight (I'm a wavy) and my waves don't look good at all when I wake up. I usually go to be with my hair slightly wet, but it happens even if my hair is dry. Do you think plopping would help, as in if I plop my wet hair overnight? I've never tried plopping before so I'm just not sure if this would be the right purpose, or if I should plop it then let it out for bed (in which it would probably become crushed by morning). Any help much appreciated.
    It's worth a try. Like everything else, you have to experiment with plopping to see what works best for you. I usually only plop for 10-20 minutes or weird things happen to the top of my head. I prefer to let the plop out and then clip the front, but have had some success with overnight plopping.
    Sue

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file