Are you looking for a new hairstyle?

pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
The shag is coming back. It looks cute on wavies. This link has a few wavy pics. Plus there is a diagram on how to cut this on long hair.
The Best Hair Salon 2011: curly shag hairstyle
http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
Cowash: Tresemme naturals
Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
Curl enhancer: FSG
Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Comments

• Debh366Debh366 Posts: 218Registered Users
    Wow, those are some really cute hairstyles. I don't usually care for Maggie Gyllenhaal, I love her hair style in that link. Very pretty.
    ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Cowash: Suave Strawberry, Tresseme Naturals Moisture
    Lopoo: L'Oreal EverSleek
    Style: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, sometimes Alba
    Techniques: Just use ShamWow after I put product in damp hair and crunch. Works well for me, my hair holds a good wave all day. 2nd day hair is even better.
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    Yeah the Maggie G. pic is super adorable!!! This is a great link!! I'm getting my hair done next week and I would like a change without losing too much of the length. I shall definitely discuss "going shaggy" with my stylist. Thanks Pededah!!! You're always chock-full of usefull info!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks. I'm strongly considering a shag myself. I can't do bangs, so I'm hoping it would work well on short hair without bangs.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Bangs are big decision because growing them out can be a major PITA. I've had bangs on and off my whole life and am currently growing them out again.

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

• solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A friend has a shag and it's so cute. It makes her hair curlier--she has very fine relatively straight hair that has gotten wavier the longer/shaggier it gets. It also looks very cute with a hat or some other hair accessory where the teeny bangs and the long ends peek out.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
    I swore off bangs in the early 90's.
    Yesterday I decided to stop trying to do a winged eye. It never works out for me.
    Hmmm I wonder if a shag would be workable even without bangs....

Stylers-

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I have what would pass for a long-ish shag. NO BANGS. They try to wave/curl and my hair is way too thin to pull that off without looking like I haven't a clue my hair is too thin/fine to pull that off.
    My hair never ends up looking shaggy, though. It does enhance the waves. Depending on the day.
    My mom used to try to get the local hairdresser to cut my fine hair in a "short shag" when I was a kid in the 70s. I just ended up looking like a boy who needed a haircut.

As long as some of the other fashion "don'ts" don't come back with the shag, we're all safe. I'm thinking of polyester suits with big, wide ties and A-line dresses and bouffants. Oh, and those enormous eyeglasses!
    IAgirl, you look like you have such pretty hair!!! Whatever you're doing, keep up the good work!!

Stylers-

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    shag-hairstyles-2.jpg

EEeeeeeekkk don't like this one at all

layeredmediumlengthhairstyles3.jpg

this is really cute and would work with finer hair, pedah is this what you had in mind? I don't find bangs that hard to grow out if they aren't too short. I just clip them to to the side when I get tired of them.

shag_wavy_hair.jpg

love this too
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Del-It isn't growing out bangs that is the issue. Bangs are just bad for my face.
    I was thinking of something like the last 2 you posted or the Maggi Gyllenhaal one. Most of the pics in the ling have disappeared.
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Del-It isn't growing out bangs that is the issue. Bangs are just bad for my face.
    I was thinking of something like the last 2 you posted or the Maggi Gyllenhaal one. Most of the pics in the ling have disappeared.
    WTH happened to all the pictures??????? :? I hope you saved the ones you liked! I saved a couple that I liked that is so weird!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DEL2C wrote: »
    shag-hairstyles-2.jpg

this is really cute and would work with finer hair, pedah is this what you had in mind? I don't find bangs that hard to grow out if they aren't too short. I just clip them to to the side when I get tired of them.

shag_wavy_hair.jpg

love this too

What's funny to me is that these are the exact same haircut, just on different models with different texture hair. The last one has bangs slightly longer. The first one has thinner hair,styled a little too flat to her forehead.

The following is written by a hairstyling student about layered hair cuts. In this case, the middy cut which was very popular throughout the 40's right into the 60's. I think its interesting, and could be very helpful when choosing hair styles and communicating with a stylist, since it gives you a specific language.

How to get a good Middy haircut or baby or any you wish « Imitation of Vintage life
    WTH happened to all the pictures??????? :? I hope you saved the ones you liked! I saved a couple that I liked that is so weird!
    Must have been a fluke. The pics are back now. Anyway, I was thinking something mostly like this one.
    4_curly-hair-shag-brown-haircut-layered-cuts-nyc.jpg
    Off to read Crwritt's link.
    thumbnail.aspx?q=426748876652&id=7606dfc00b0e3b6270bd60ce766983ce&url=http%3a%2f%2fyourhaircut.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2008%2f09%2fscannedimage-321.jpgthumbnail.aspx?q=525138146211&id=51cc494d227f61b6fa5c31bf1311172f&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.haircutshairstyles.com%2fimg%2fphotos%2ffull%2f2008-07%2fmedium_curly_shag_hairstyle85.jpgthumbnail.aspx?q=543029933623&id=ce6161290a5dac8faae2284e5eecb65b&url=http%3a%2f%2fhairdohairstyles.com%2fHairstyle_News%2fimages%2fMidLength_Hairstyle40.jpgthumbnail.aspx?q=597377098191&id=d91d95fe1a64e452db3d8ab7b8a0c911&url=http%3a%2f%2f3.bp.blogspot.com%2f_30PRmkOl4ro%2fSg1r8jXpVjI%2fAAAAAAAAQL4%2fmEVakDHLe08%2fs400%2fTrendy%2bShort%2bCurly%2bHair%2bStyles%2b2009.jpgI think these are all pretty
    much the same cut, the length and hair texture is different but they all have layers starting at about cheek level, bangs are long enough to push aside, and the hair is shoulder length or longer at the back.
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    Must have been a fluke. The pics are back now. Anyway, I was thinking something mostly like this one.
    4_curly-hair-shag-brown-haircut-layered-cuts-nyc.jpg
    Off to read Crwritt's link.

I got a cut like this a couple of weeks ago. I have 2c/3a that was just about BSL before. This is sooo much easier to take care of and I feel like it's more of a "style" than it was before. Looove it.
    Oh, oh! I love all the pics in Crwritt's post. :blob8:

Quick, somebody hide my scissors!!!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    These are ALL great haircut options! I am loving the wavy shag look! I'm with IAgirl. Someone needs to hide my scissors! I am in desperate need of a trim/cut -- I have no current style to my hair, just bad-looking, grown out layers -- so these are tempting. I might opt for a wavy shag!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • jonquiljonquil Posts: 94Registered Users
    Thanks so much! I recently cut my hair but am not 100% happy with it - this is what I wanted, I just didnt know it :) Will be asking for a shag hair cut next time I think.
    Ladies! I... I have to be very careful how I type this... I cut myself a shag. Trying to avoid innuendo/double entendre and simply not succeeding.:glasses1:

My hair is super-fine so I didn't go for a lot of very short layers or else I'd get the "Carol Brady." But I like it!!! I just did the "pull hair up to 180°" method, and then angled the long ends that didn't get caught in the rest.

DH says "they (layers) blend well." :thumbleft:I had to comb my hair to cut it, so it's smoothed-out/fluffed up and will soon be under a warm hat. If I can, I'll post a pic once re-styled unless that's too scary.
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Ladies! I... I have to be very careful how I type this... I cut myself a shag. Trying to avoid innuendo/double entendre and simply not succeeding.:glasses1:

My hair is super-fine so I didn't go for a lot of very short layers or else I'd get the "Carol Brady." But I like it!!! I just did the "pull hair up to 180°" method, and then angled the long ends that didn't get caught in the rest.

DH says "they (layers) blend well." :thumbleft:I had to comb my hair to cut it, so it's smoothed-out/fluffed up and will soon be under a warm hat. If I can, I'll post a pic once re-styled unless that's too scary.

I hope you really like it and dont blame me for enabling!
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Shagadelic!

Pic please. :toothy2::cheers::sunny::toothy8:
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Hmm, I think blame would rightly go to Pedaheh, she started it.:toothy4:
    Actually, that is exactly what I was looking for to get my layers right and I think this is "my" haircut. Of course, I'll share it with you all.
    So darn easy to cut, I'm annoyed I didn't do it a while ago!

Enable away, that's why I'm here -- to get great ideas from lovely gals such as yourselves.
    crwritt wrote: »
    I hope you really like it and dont blame me for enabling!
    crwritt wrote: »
    shag-hairstyles-2.jpg

shag_wavy_hair.jpg

love this too

What's funny to me is that these are the exact same haircut, just on different models with different texture hair. The last one has bangs slightly longer. The first one has thinner hair,styled a little too flat to her forehead.

The following is written by a hairstyling student about layered hair cuts. In this case, the middy cut which was very popular throughout the 40's right into the 60's. I think its interesting, and could be very helpful when choosing hair styles and communicating with a stylist, since it gives you a specific language.

How to get a good Middy haircut or baby or any you wish « Imitation of Vintage life
    you are absolutely right they are all the same cut, they are all "shags" it is very interesting how different it can look though when the layers vary just the slightest and of course the different textures will change it too. If I cut my layers as short as these gals it would look frightening :lol: stuck to my head and just horrid. Believe me I KNOW this since it's been done to me!!!!!!!!

IAgirl dying to see pics!!!! I had to laugh at he Carol Brady comment, during the 90's I saw so many of those accidental shags that ended up looking nothing like Jennifer Anniston but Carol Brady instead!! I couldn't imagine someone intentionally wanting that look :laughing6:
    Discovered CG 2007

Well, my hair is being too soft and fluffy lately thanks to too much panthenol and extremely variable weather, so it's usually more spiraly, even the super-fine canopy hair and in front. And I usually comb the top lightly because I hate the crunchy look on me.
    This is my haircutting effort. Shag with no glam and no professional photographer. I think I prefer it when I shape it more carefully, but this gave me the shorter layers I was afraid to cut any other way. Oh, nothing wrong with those longer bits in back, they stuck to my shirt. My hair is actually a bit longer than shoulder-length.
    Admittedly, the light background just makes my hair look thinner. It's not so bad in real life.
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    impressive, very impressive:) what did it look like before the cut?
    impressive, very impressive:) what did it look like before the cut?

Prior to that cut, it was looking more "blunt cut" in back and the shortest layers were about chin length, maybe jaw length at the shortest spot. It didn't look bad, but did rather hide the curlier parts below the canopy.

I do prefer shaping it more carefully because it helps the waves curl, pulling it up to 180° leaves some waves cut in the wrong place.
    IAGirl, your hair looks amazing!!!! Dare I even say it....shagadelic?? :toothy5: Your curls look so gorgeous and the length is great too. I'm getting my hair cut/colored Friday and I'm thinking of trying a shag so I can change things up but still be able to play around with braids and stuff.Love it!!!

Stylers-

IAGirl, your hair looks amazing!!!! Dare I even say it....shagadelic?? :toothy5: Your curls look so gorgeous and the length is great too. I'm getting my hair cut/colored Friday and I'm thinking of trying a shag so I can change things up but still be able to play around with braids and stuff.Love it!!!

Shagadelic! So funny. Shagalicious?:confused3:
    Thank you kindly, hippiechic81!
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, my hair is being too soft and fluffy lately thanks to too much panthenol and extremely variable weather, so it's usually more spiraly, even the super-fine canopy hair and in front. And I usually comb the top lightly because I hate the crunchy look on me.
    This is my haircutting effort. Shag with no glam and no professional photographer. I think I prefer it when I shape it more carefully, but this gave me the shorter layers I was afraid to cut any other way. Oh, nothing wrong with those longer bits in back, they stuck to my shirt. My hair is actually a bit longer than shoulder-length.
    Admittedly, the light background just makes my hair look thinner. It's not so bad in real life.

Pretty! Shagtastical! I'm surprised you cut it that short. I thought you were a long hair fanatic.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file