Hair color question

irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
How long do I wait before coloring again when my hair isn't taking the color?

I colored it a few times in a month. I accidentally bought a color with too much red in it, and then in an attempt to get the red out (which is practically impossible for me) I colored it a few more times. So now it's just not absorbing any more color. The last time I did it, it didn't take at all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What are you using?
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    L'oreal Preference maybe? I'd have to go look.

I just prefer to color at home because I never get much better of a job at a salon.

Is there some sort of rule that I should go a few shades lighter as I get older?

I ask because I'm usually a light ash brown in box color, but it's pretty dark on me, and while I like the look, I don't want to get stuck with something that's too harsh looking.

I have another box upstairs that I may just break down and use. But knowing me, and how much I hate upkeep, I'll probably end up going back to my natural color since I hate dealing with roots.

I just felt like going a few shades lighter for some reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A few years back, I used that color that was, unfortunately, too red for me. I called the customer service number on the box or directions. It was a while ago, but I think they told me to wash a few times with clarifying shampoo, then to recolor, using a combination of two colors from their line. It worked for me. Good luck, let us know what you do and how it works out, okay?

As for the rule: I've heard that we should go lighter as we get older, too. But, I've never heard just how to decide on the right shade. But, then, I've also head the one about women 'having' to go shorter after a certain age, too. Don't agree with that one, at all!
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mama just can't go lighter. It just brings out the yellow tones in my skin and washes me out completely.

I ended up using the brass free brunette semi perm in medium brown. That actually covered the color and took the red out. Whew.

Somehow though my very processed ends are quite dark and my roots are still a bit reddish, and a little lighter, but it's not very noticeable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file