Spinoff: What are you allergic to and what do you do about it?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I'm very allergic to smoke, dust, mold, down (feathers) and too many drugs to name. No allergy to pollen. My allergies came when I was in my 40's.

All my life I've also had a weird allergy to anything very sweet, like honey - my mouth throbs. It's very unpleasant.

Until I got allergies I had no idea how unpleasant they could be.

Anyone not have any allergies? Just curious.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    Dust & carpeting. I don't sneeze or anything, I just end up with rashes from being in a carpeted environment. When I visited my SO, I ended up with 14 small rashes on my legs, arms, and back because his entire apt (except the bathroom & kitchen) are carpeted.

I hate carpets!!!

I'm "allergic" to fast food like McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, KFC, etc.. I get nauseous after eating it with an exploding headache.

That's all I can think of for now.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's horrible - rashes all over from carpet.

BTW I always love what you post underneath - from Turtles and Nej. I don't think there's anything funnier on this whole website. :blob8:
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I have mild cedar allergies which are seasonal. They're so mild that all I have to do is take ibuprofen and I'm fine - the allergy mainly manifests itself as a headache.

I also am allergic to raw walnuts. If they're toasted (or candied!) I don't have a problem, but if I eat them right out the shell my tongue burns.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I'm allergic to something, don't know what. But on a random day I'll be a giant ball of snot and tears, sneezing about ten times in a minute, eyes itching like crazy.
    I am not allergic to any foods, thank the sweet lord.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    Walnuts, in any form, make my mouth burn and throb.

I'm allergic to pollen, some grass, some brands of cigarette's smoke, metal, some acrylics, most colorants, most fragrances, something in fruity gum makes my mouth burn/itch, cheap pens' ink makes me break out in a rash if I get it on my skin.....some cats, and I have heat urticaria (even though I'm constantly cold. I can't win!!)

I avoid everything that I can, and if I can't then I make do. None of them are life-threatening yet....

Metal, colorants, and fragrances are definitely the worst. I can only wear 24 kt gold, titanium, or surgical stainless steel jewlery. I can sometimes get away with .925 sterling silver. I have to sew patches over all the metal in my jeans, and I have to be careful with using metal pens/pencils.

The colorants and fragrance allergies mean that I have to be really careful about which laundry detergents, makeup, soap, shampoo, etc. I can use, or I break out in a head-to-toe rash.

Pollen and grass allergies get the worst in the spring/summer, and a week or two in the fall, and I just take lots and lots of OTC allergy medication until they let up a little.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    Lavender, mold, grass, tree pollen and lilac. I'm extremely sensitive to some foods (cabbage, cucumbers, goat cheese) but I don't know of any full-on allergies. Claritin-D has become my friend from spring to fall.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i have seasonal allergies and when i was younger i used to be allergic to grass. i haven't frolicked in the grass in quite a while, so i don't know if that allergy still remains.

i'm also mildly allergic to crabs. my eyes and mouth get itchy, red, and swollen and if i used my hands to eat it sometimes they get red, swollen, and itchy. i suffer through it because i love crab!
    curlypearl wrote: »
    That's horrible - rashes all over from carpet.

BTW I always love what you post underneath - from Turtles and Nej. I don't think there's anything funnier on this whole website. :blob8:

Yea it is horrible, we had carpeting when I was younger and had to get it removed. I always wonder what's going to happen if I ever decide to move to the Northern VA/DC area because I swear almost all of the apartments I've seen advertised have carpeting, it drives me batty!

I laughed for like 5 minutes after reading that exchange between turtles and nej, I just HAD to put it in my siggie! It give me a good giggle every now and then.

• SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    I have horrible seasonal allergies. Because of that, I'm also allergic to quite a few raw fruits and veggies - carrots, pears, apples, broccoli, peaches, celery, plums, sometimes cantaloupe and honeydew (I think it must depend on the time of year), corn and potatoes (sounds weird, but if I'm shucking corn or peeling potatoes and any of it squirts on me, I automatically get puffy), sugar snap peas, and cherries. I think that's it.

When I eat them, my lips and eyes get puffy/red/itchy, my throat gets unbearably itchy, and my mouth throbs... And, they all burn.

For the seasonal allergies, as long as I keep up with my allergy meds and take them ahead of time, I tend to feel OK... But the only thing I can really do for the fruits/veggies is either avoid eating them raw, or avoid eating them at all. They're exponentially less enjoyable cooked. :( (ETA: Well, except for the corn and potatoes. :lol:)

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice
    Cats, rabbits, mold, dust, trees, grass, various flower pollens, cockroaches, dust, sulfa medication, smoke, certain lotion scents, something besides the vitamin C in airborne. Lots of other things.
    I take loratadine, have an inhaler, and nasonex.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    I'm very allergic to all the NSAIDS (advil alleve, motrin, penicillin, etc.). I swell up all over and get hives so bad that I have to go to the hospital to get a benadryl IV!

Unfortunately I found out ab each of these allergies through experience & all during my middle to high school yrs! So now anytime I go to the hospital or doc and I need pain meds they always throw a fit when I tell them what I'm allergic to because they have no clue what to give me. So for the most part I'm stuck w/tylenol & vicodin when my migranes get bad.

I also have very sensitive skin & can not wear any silver jewelry at all (which sucks bc I love it!). I still wear silver watches to work (I'm a glutton for punishment) and by ab noon my wrist is sooo red and itchy I have to take it off. It got so bad one time that this guy I was seeing in college got mad at me so he intentionally wore a silver chain when we went to bed that night & I woke up w/the worst rash the next day that lasted for over a week!

Then just to top things off any type of oils really irritate my face & neck. My SO always wants me to rub baby oil on him when he gets out the shower due to his skin but then my hands always turn red & start burning! Oh yeah...the other day I had a reaction to my venus razor (mind you that I have been using this for yrs now) & my legs were so red & sore I couldn't even sleep.

Sucks to have allergies!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
    I just remembered, I'm allergic to nickel. Any metals that have nickel in it gives me rashes, it makes shaving a living hell as I break out. I've tried to wax myself but that's always a disaster, I hate nair and the like because it stinks!

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm also allergic to all the NSAIDS and can only take Tylenol and Vicodin which makes me throw up. Also Septra and sulfa drugs. Grrrr. Also no penicillin or penicillin derivatives.

Nickel jewelry causes rashes. I need to live in an igloo.

Sympathetic to all of you! Allergies are such a byatch!
  • blueskiesblueskies Posts: 123Registered Users Curl Novice
    i'm allergic to tree pollen, cats, dogs, and horses. i love cats..i've always loved cats. it makes me sad :(
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    Saria wrote: »
    I'm allergic to something, don't know what. But on a random day I'll be a giant ball of snot and tears, sneezing about ten times in a minute, eyes itching like crazy.
    I am not allergic to any foods, thank the sweet lord.

Yes. This.

To add on to that, everytime my allergies get really aggravated or I get a cold, I also get a sinus infection that seems to last forever.

I want to pull up all the carpet and get a heavy duty air purifier for the house, but until that happens I'm making do with sudafed, benedryl, and my neti-pot. Since it's getting warmer now, I need to also make sure I call the exterminator before the bugs get out of hand.
    33abhqq.gif
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Oh yeah, Benadryl is the only thing that works. Other allergy medicines basically got laughed at and then they whimpered and hid. Unfortunately this leads to complete sleepiness.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    kenzie! wrote: »

I'm sorry for the allergy, but I'm glad I'm not the only one! I actually forget that I'm allergic to raw walnuts until I'm eating them. :rolleyes:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote: »
    kenzie! wrote: »

I'm sorry for the allergy, but I'm glad I'm not the only one! I actually forget that I'm allergic to raw walnuts until I'm eating them. :rolleyes:

My mom ALWAYS forgets and puts them in food, and I don't realize until I'm halfway through the dish and realize that my mouth is burning like no tomorrow. :tongue6:
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    Penicillin and it's relatives. My eyes swell shut. Not pleasant.

Benadryl. Yes. Even though a dr. laughed at me as I was in the ER for it. By the time I had been seen the reaction had run its course. My mom is deathly allergic to it too. Not just the dye either. It makes me antsy and my skin itchy.

Tree pollen, cats (unless I've been exposed to them for a while, hence my own cat doesn't really bother me), goldenrod, dust, and general seasonal ones.

I also have asthma so it's a right PIA but I've got my inhaler plus steroid when needed and loretadine is my BFF in those seasons. I don't go anywhere without it. I also find showering when things are really bothering me helps immensely esp. with pollen/dust/dander.
  • duckyducky Posts: 927Registered Users
    Specifically, I'm only allergic to sulphas, and that's easy to avoid.

Otherwise I have seasonal allergies - if someone does not grow up in this part of the world, but moves here as an adult, she'll likely develop allergies, due to the area-specific plants and such. They should really put that in the tourist info - if you move here, you'll get allergies! Welcome to wine country! :tongue3:
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    I'm allergic to sulpha drugs, latex, cats and anything that grows outdoors. I'm allergic to spring and fall pollens, grass, weeds, etc., but my tree pollen allergies are off the charts. I also have oral allergy syndrome, so I can't eat a lot of raw fruits, veggies and nuts that come from those pollen families. I once ate an apple during a bad allergy spell and sneezed for five minutes straight, and I'm not exaggerating. Ugh.

Spring brings a pretty heavy routine of allergy meds, a couple of nose sprays and a maintenance inhaler, plus a rescue inhaler as needed. I usually end up with bronchitis anyway and spend a little while on steroids and another med or two.

I'm hoping that my move to a less tree-filled area will work in my favor this year. I had a forest in my backyard the last two years, and I was a mess for months. I had allergy shots for a year, and they seemed to have helped with the cats. I'm curious to see whether they've raised my tolerance for tree pollen, but judging by my reaction to some fruit the other day, I'm not holding out too much hope. I had to stop them because I couldn't find a doctor when I moved.
    Under construction.
  • blackguitargirlblackguitargirl Posts: 492Registered Users
    I used to have really bad allergies as a child. No red meat, dairy, wheat, citrus, and berries. I used to get made fun of a lot because of my strange eating habits in elementary school. I wasn't able to eat junk food and other regular American foods until I was in 4th or 5th grade. Now I just have seasonal allergies, asthma, and no milk chocolate or dark chocolate. My mom also has a lot of food allergies, seasonal issues, asthma, issues with certain fabrics, dyes, and medications.
    4a/4b
    last relaxer dec. 2007
    BC dec 29, 2008
    :headbang: 4 years natural!
    Music blog :hiding:
    Writing blog
    My Book: The Lost King
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I'm very allergic to all the NSAIDS (advil alleve, motrin, penicillin, etc.). I swell up all over and get hives so bad that I have to go to the hospital to get a benadryl IV!

Unfortunately I found out ab each of these allergies through experience & all during my middle to high school yrs! So now anytime I go to the hospital or doc and I need pain meds they always throw a fit when I tell them what I'm allergic to because they have no clue what to give me. So for the most part I'm stuck w/tylenol & vicodin when my migranes get bad.

I also have very sensitive skin & can not wear any silver jewelry at all (which sucks bc I love it!). I still wear silver watches to work (I'm a glutton for punishment) and by ab noon my wrist is sooo red and itchy I have to take it off. It got so bad one time that this guy I was seeing in college got mad at me so he intentionally wore a silver chain when we went to bed that night & I woke up w/the worst rash the next day that lasted for over a week!

Then just to top things off any type of oils really irritate my face & neck. My SO always wants me to rub baby oil on him when he gets out the shower due to his skin but then my hands always turn red & start burning! Oh yeah...the other day I had a reaction to my venus razor (mind you that I have been using this for yrs now) & my legs were so red & sore I couldn't even sleep.

Sucks to have allergies!

Do you have asthma, too?

I have a theory I may have Samter's Triad (not sure if that's the correct way to word it) and my symptoms seem to match things I've read. The wiki entry conflicts with some medical things I've read, but at least gives you a basic idea.

I went to an allergist who tested me for 45 things, and I was allergic to 43. I'm not allergic to feathers or sagebrush. I am allergic to dogs, cats, horses, dust, pollens, hay, grass.... Lots of things. Food-wise, I for some reason can't drink milk unless it's organic - I end up with massive pain in my stomach as if someone were knifing me. I am allergic to raw mushrooms and corn - both are mild, and only affect me if I have too much, in which case my lips swell and turn purple and the roof of my mouth itches. I have a similar reaction to allspice, I think. I'm not 100% sure, but holiday desserts can bother me unless they don't have allspice in them.

I am reactive to aspirin - haven't had it since I was a little kid (before Rye's Syndrome was known, even) but it would make me swell up like a blowfish and turn violently ill. Needless to say my parents stopped giving it to me! I don't have as strong a reaction to penicillin, but am allergic to it, too. I get a rash on my arms and welts across my back so I look like I was whipped. That one developed in college - I had pneumonia multiple times and didn't have a problem with it before then.

Most of my allergies are actually pretty mild. I am on a preventative inhaler for my asthma, and it's almost always enough. My 3 month emergency inhaler prescription lasts me a full year, and then I replace them just because they're old. I take generic zyrtec (supposedly a daily medication) every 2-3 days at the worst times of the year for allergies, and once or twice a week at the more mild times of year and it keeps the allergies in check. Claritin never did anything for me, but the rest of my family swears by it.

I did allergy shots for a while. Because of the fact they get your immune system working, it affected how I felt overall. My emotions are tied to my immune system, and I just felt stupid sad the whole time, so I stopped the shots. They seemed to be helping at the time, but it wasn't worth it, since my allergies aren't horrible!

I'm also allergic (or something) to alcohol. It was a gradual buildup of reaction when I'd drink, and I took a while to get that it was something off. My first reaction was just a headache - I thought it was weird that I had a hangover after two drinks, especially since I had a lot of water and was never drunk, and the drinks were spread out over about 4 hours. But I shrugged it off and figured I had found an alcohol I didn't react well to. Next time I had a drink was at a wedding for a friend, and I reacted to a glass of white wine with a massive migraine which lasted for days. I figured - meh, lots of people react to wine, and I already knew I am very allergic to red wine. My next alcohol consumption was about half of a very weak pina colada, and I had a migraine which lasted a week with a lot of vomiting. That told me - yep, for whatever reason, my body doesn't want me to drink. Since I wasn't a big drinker anyway, I just decided not to drink anymore. I thought that was enough, until I had tiramisu which trigged an asthma attack which my inhaler couldn't stop. Now I won't even eat those cordial cherries or use mouthwash with alcohol -not worth it!

My worst allergy is mold. I worked in a building which I am 100% convinced had mold despite someone doing testing claiming otherwise, and it made me SICK. I couldn't last a full workday, started to feel better before getting to the building, and my health immediately went downhill as soon as I got in there. It was awful!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    Most things that bloom, mold, dust, smoke, almonds, coconut.

I take Claritin year-round, though in the winter months I can get by with every other day. All the rest of the year it's daily.

For the almond and coconut, I don't eat them. There are times when it slips by me at potlucks or what not. There are some weird things I've found almonds in! I always have benedryl on hand and have an Epi pen in case I have a full-blown attack but otherwise just avoid.

I also have to watch lotions/chapsticks and the like for almond and coconut oils. I had the WORST case of chapped lips for a few months before I figured out it was my Burts Bees chapstick. Of course the more my lips hurt, the more I applied!

I also pray that when another hormone change comes, these food allergies go away. I haven't always been allergic so I totally miss almonds and coconut.
    <insert signature line here>
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I'm normal allergic (you'll see why I say that in the next paragraph) to grass pollen, dust, mold (especially on bread, but any mold will do), penicillin, and sulfa antibiotics. If it's an inhalant, I'll sneeze like a very sneezy thing; if it's something I consume, I'll get hives all over; if it's just contact, I'll get swelling and a single hive on the place where my skin made contact with the problem substance. When I learned I was allergic to penicillin (the hard way), I actually noticed just *smelling* the tablets would set off a sneezing fit. Some fragrances will cause me to sneeze uncontrollably as well, though I don't know if I'm properly allergic to any. I don't generally take anything specifically for these issues because I'm constantly medicated (due to the issue in the next paragraph), though I have taken pretty much every antihistamine under the sun over the years (Claratin/Clarityn/Alavert, Zyrtec/Zirtek, Piriton, Xyzal, Tavist, Benedryl, etc).

I also get a type III allergic reaction to the antibodies my own body creates towards viruses (i.e. - I'm allergic to myself!). This basically means that mere exposure to cold or flu viruses can make me break out in hives. I generally get hives when I have a cold as well, usually about 4 days into the cold, at which point the cold disappears and I have intense hives for the 'remaining' 6 days of the cold. I've been like this since I was little (less than 1 year old). I've recently found out it's due to a fairly rare condition called urticarial vasculitis, an auto-immune condition with a lot in common with lupus. It's under control - finally (God bless the NHS) - with Plaquenil. Daily H1 and H2 blocking antihistamines (Zyrtec and Zantac) help control symptoms when the Plaquenil isn't quite cutting it.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I don't remember being allergic to anything as a child. Then sometime during my 20's, I developed a tree pollen allergy and allergies to tropical fruits (pineapples, mangoes, etc). With pollen, I get itchy eyes and throat, sometimes a runny nose and headaches. I take Benedryl at night for it as it makes me drowsy. I will say for that the last couple of years, my tree pollen allergy hasn't been as severe, so maybe I'm growing out of it.

As for the tropical fruit issue, my lips get itchy and my mouth literally burns. The only way to deal with that is to just avoid eating them.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    I started to get a rash a couple years ago on my neck/chest area, during the spring. I thought I was probably allergic to some kind of beauty product, or maybe that I had hugged someone and was allergic to whatever I touched. It came and went for a couple days. I finally went in to the doctor and she said "You have allergies." and I said "No, I don't." and she said "Well, you do now!". Apparently I had hives due to seasonal allergies. The doctor said it's pretty common to develop seasonal allergies in your 20's.

Aside from that I'm allergic to penicillins. I'm very sensitive to raw onions (I can't even be in the same room if someone's cutting them up without my eyes getting all puffy and seriously painful), but I wouldn't call it an allergy.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Seasonal stuff, but especially those white puffs that drift through the air in summer: cottonwood?

I use nose spray.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    wow! some of you have some serious allergies. Daily meds! Sewing patches over your jeans!

I recently discovered that I'm allergic to Carmine. It's a beetle based-food coloring (that of course isn't listed on food labels). So I have to watch out for meats, soups, drinks, candy, ice cream, yogurt, sauces, condiments, etc that are yellow, white, red, orange, purple or brown. I've been shopping kosher until carmine starts showing up on labels.

I also think I'm allergic to white wine. I haven't tested this theory out with red yet but white wine and champagne makes me tongue tingle.

Cockroaches

Seasonal Allergies
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    i can recite this verbatim at a whim:

apples peaches plums pears nectarines watermelon honeydew melon canteloupe all nuts except peanuts (which even peanuts are starting to bother me some) and avocados.

soy milk

nevermind dust and dander.

i found that i can have said fruits if they're stewed or something. i thought it was the pesticides on some of the things cause my mom and SO bought plums and washed them well with dawn dish detergent and i ate it with minimal problems but i tried an organic apple from whole foods and my mouth was still sort of irritated.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file