"Overlooking" Black History Month

Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
So my son is attending a private preschool that goes by the school system schedule. He just turned 4 so technically he is in pre pre-k (LOL). Anyway as we all know February is black history month yet my son has not come home w/a single 'black history related activity' & I am disturbed by this.

Since he has been attending this program he has done exceptionally well. I am in (well was) in complete agreement w/what he was learning & was thinking about having him attend the same school next yr. Each day they come home w/an activity that they completed in class, some sort of homework & a basic outline of what they did & will be covering in the upcoming week.

They have covered every theme from Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas, Valentines day & even groundhogs day. Now I am not saying there was anything wrong w/them teaching any of the above but if you can not only teach my child but also do an art activity based around a groundhog that is "suppossed" to predict the weather than you definitely have time to teach black history.

Of course you have to tailor what you teach to each child's ability level and for children of that age there is no reason to me why they can't do a little 5minute segment each day regarding a black history fact at least (I mean teach them ab peanut butter or safety belts. Something that all little children come into contact w/on a regular basis).

Now my son is the ONLY black child in this entire preschool and I can't help but think that this may be the reason why it has not been done and also why it has not come into question before now. Come to think of it there really isn't much ethnic diversity in the school. Either way I emailed the school yesterday questioning the school about my concerns and I have yet to hear back from them.

Anyone have any thoughts/concerns on the issue?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
(Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes.

They should definitely have a lesson about the subject.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Don't stop with telling us! Tell the preschool. In my opinion, the fact that your child is the only black child in the school is neither here nor there. ANY child would benefit from learning about inventors, leaders, civil rights activists, teachers, baseball players, etc., etc. who broke that ground. The school is missing an enormous teaching opportunity.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Does he learn any history at all? My niece is 4 and goes to pre-K. Her class has talked about some holidays, but they have not gotten into heavy history. That doesn't happen until first grade with the school system here.

Talk to the school. I wouldn't email simply because that is easier for them to ignore.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i was kind of having a similar internal debate about the same thing. my daughter goes to a private preschool too and she's the only black kid (well she's half black), so i was wondering if they were going to address black history month. they haven't. but i guess i can't be too upset because they haven't really celebrated any holidays, so at least they're consistent.

kind of OT, but to the OP does your son "get" black history month? my little girl will be 4 in june and has no concept of race/ethnicity. she doesn't know she's biracial or that me and my family are black. she has no clue that her titis are puerto rican or her best friend is half thai and half white. so if your son does understand, how did that happen? is it something you taught him or he picked up?
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote: »
    Don't stop with telling us! Tell the preschool. In my opinion, the fact that your child is the only black child in the school is neither here nor there. ANY child would benefit from learning about inventors, leaders, civil rights activists, teachers, baseball players, etc., etc. who broke that ground. The school is missing an enormous teaching opportunity.

Oh I already did. I told them yesterday and I still haven't gotten a response from them. I stated that in my original post but I guess since I wrote so much it was probably missed.

Yes I agree. All of the children not just my son would benefit from this black, white, chinese, etc. My point in stating that he is the only blk child was simply to say that I could see why the issue had not been bought up before his arrival. I honestly don't see the Caucasian parents approaching the school wanting to know why their child is not being taught blk hx.

However if the school was more diverse I could then see them making more attempts to teach diversity & hx of all cultures/ethnicities (still a lame excuse if you ask me bc I believe that since there is so little diversity in the area where I live & where he goes to school that is more of a reason to teach the children ab other cultures). All of the children will grow up & hopefully move on and the last thing you want is the children being uneducated ab the reality of the world and all the beauty that lies w/in everyone.

I am not one to say that "blk hx" should only be taught during February but throughout the entire yr along w/the rest of hx. I think its a crock that the shortest month of the yr is 'dedicated" to blk hx when reg. hx (whatever that is) is taught every day in schools but thats another story as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
    subbrock wrote: »
    i was kind of having a similar internal debate about the same thing. my daughter goes to a private preschool too and she's the only black kid (well she's half black), so i was wondering if they were going to address black history month. they haven't. but i guess i can't be too upset because they haven't really celebrated any holidays, so at least they're consistent.

kind of OT, but to the OP does your son "get" black history month? my little girl will be 4 in june and has no concept of race/ethnicity. she doesn't know she's biracial or that me and my family are black. she has no clue that her titis are puerto rican or her best friend is half thai and half white. so if your son does understand, how did that happen? is it something you taught him or he picked up?

No not yet. Me as well as my mom (she was in daycare for 25+ yrs) teach him hx through books & the like and will continue to do so despite what the school decides to do.

However that is part of my point. Children only know what they are taught. They are 'oblivious' as to what most things are especially color unless it is taught to them. However I do believe that it is important to begin teaching them these issues at a young age.

I mean my son had absolutely nooo clue what Christmas was (I wasn't telling him or talking ab it and his father is Muslim so he definitely isn't teaching him) until he went to school & they kept talking & talking ab it & he saw everything on tv that discussed what Christmas was.

That being said I do not have the belief that they need to break down what blk hx month is & give a serious hx lesson at this age. They would not sit still long enough for it nor would they grasp it. However they could do little blk hx facts each day so that they begin knowing what its ab. Am I wrong in thinking that if he can catch onto the idea of Christmas that he can begin to learn hx?

event.png

event.png
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i'm not making a judgement call either way. if it's something you feel strongly about, then i think you should make your voice heard. this past fall, i was uncomfortable with the thought of my child learning about the lie that is thanksgiving and my plan was to find a book explaining the real thanksgiving and sharing it with the class. of course, it ended up being a non issue because they didn't even address thanksgiving.

maybe you can go to the class and read a book or do an activity with the kids, just to make sure they get the history lesson you feel they should have?
    subbrock wrote: »
    i'm not making a judgement call either way. if it's something you feel strongly about, then i think you should make your voice heard. this past fall, i was uncomfortable with the thought of my child learning about the lie that is thanksgiving and my plan was to find a book explaining the real thanksgiving and sharing it with the class. of course, it ended up being a non issue because they didn't even address thanksgiving.

maybe you can go to the class and read a book or do an activity with the kids, just to make sure they get the history lesson you feel they should have?

Good suggestion & I was actually thinking ab that earlier today but didn't know if they would allow that considering it is a "private preschool". I will check into that either way.

ITA w/u ab Thanksgiving as well as a few other holidays. If you are going to teach hx then teach the truth. Not just what you want people to believe!

event.png

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file