There was a death in our community

HropkeyHropkey Posts: 572Registered Users
2 boys a year older than me who go the high school I was supposed to go to (I transferred) died on Saturday in a rafting accident. Their bodies were identified yesterday.

I went to elementary school and middle school with them, and today people wore yellow in honor of the obnoxiously bright windbreakers they always wore.

It's been a really difficult couple of days for everybody. They were really young- one sixteen, one seventeen- best friends who were incredibly smart, social, and talented. You could tell they were supposed to go do great things and have great lives. There's a candle light vigil tomorrow, and my synagogue (where one of the boys went) has a memorial service on Sunday. I didn't know them well but I'm going to both to honor their memories.

Please keep their friends and family in your prayers.
Mod CG as of 10/18/08
Using: Suave Naturals, L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss, LA Looks Sports Gel.
"We’ll not live like this. They will try to bury us with false manifestos, inscribe us in wars against false enemies but we’ll sing songs about dying from loving the wrong cowboy and gospel; our bodies will burn in effigies of promise. I swear."

-Ibi Kaslik

Comments

• WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    So very sad.....2 young lives lost! I hope you find comfort with your friends!
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    How sad. I'm really sorry.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Absolutely...
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for posting this Hropkey. I'll certainly think about what you wrote. I'm glad the community is coming together to commemorate the lives of the boys.

In my nephew's high school one of the children died recently in a skiing accident. The whole town was shaken for days. It is always so upsetting when such a young person dies unexpectedly.

Take care of yourself.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    I am so sorry. I remember in college hearing of the death of a boy I had gone to high school with...even if it wasn't somebody you were good friends with, it's still so hard to wrap your brain around.
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    I live in the area and was saddened to read about this tragedy over the weekend. How devastating for the families and everyone else who knew them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Its awful and upsetting when something like this happens.

A girl in our year at high school died (we were all around 16 and was about 120 in our year - so we all knew her). It was horribly upsetting and shocking to deal with. I talked to her briefly once and was never friends with her, didn't like the group she was apart of, but we all cried. I think a big part of it is the sudden shock that someone you know has died, but also someone so young.
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    So sad... I feel for their friends and families. Although it is warming to see communities come together and support each other in sad times.
    Just last week my parents neighbor's son (who I lived next to for over 20 years) passed away in his dorm at WPI. He was only 23, had a reaction to his meds and was found by his room mate. Our whole town came together, there was a line wrapping around the funeral home because everybody was there. The family lost the mother not even 3 years ago, now a son. I have a hard time with wakes and funerals, I'm very emotional. However it was nice to see our entire neighborhood come together to support this family.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    I'm sorry you're going through this. When I was a junior in high school, one of my classmates committed suicide and it was shocking and terribly sad for our whole school. Though I didn't know him well in high school, we had gone to the same preschool, elementary school, middle school, and high school. I think it hurts because you feel like it could be you or your best friend or your sister or brother, simply because you've had such similar lives up to this point. I think the best thing you can do for yourself is recognize that this is a painful experience to go through and be okay with feeling sad for a while. Celebrate their lives and celebrate your own. You will get through this and come out better on the other side because of it.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I am very sorry. My high school lost two young women a year and a few days apart from one another my sophomore and junior years. They were both car wrecks and the teens were doing the same exact things causing the wrecks. It was such a double whammy for everyone.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We heard about this while visiting the in-laws. I'd forgotten that's your area too. Even though you didn't know them well, it's still hard. They will be in my thoughts. :(
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    :angryfire:

What kind of subhuman degenerate(s) does/do such things...oh, never mind...dumb question. I've heard of this before, where opportunistic thieves watch the obits for funerals and other services. What a cowardly, below-the-belt act this is, especially for the family of a child...on his birthday no less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users

What kind of subhuman degenerate(s) does/do such things...oh, never mind...dumb question. I've heard of this before, where opportunistic thieves watch the obits for funerals and other services. What a cowardly, below-the-belt act this is, especially for the family of a child...on his birthday no less.

What is this is in reference to??
  • HropkeyHropkey Posts: 572Registered Users

What is this is in reference to??

If you click the little face it has a link to the story- but essentially the family of one boy's home got robbed on Thursday (which was the day they buried him, and the day that he would have turned 17.)

I can't believe what kind of sickening people would do something like this. This story was well-publicized; they would've known exactly whose house this was.
    Mod CG as of 10/18/08
    Using: Suave Naturals, L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss, LA Looks Sports Gel.
    "We’ll not live like this. They will try to bury us with false manifestos, inscribe us in wars against false enemies but we’ll sing songs about dying from loving the wrong cowboy and gospel; our bodies will burn in effigies of promise. I swear."

-Ibi Kaslik

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file