anyone else have too thick hair?

Curlyq929Curlyq929 Posts: 27Registered Users
hey everyone, my hair used to be a really nice medium texture, but now that i have been growing my hair for about a year its become SO thick and hard to manage. i cant do anything with it. it feels really frizzy and coarse. im big on natural hair care so i've been using lemon juice as a conditioner and to give it more shine but its not working as well as i'd hoped. i had it thinned about 3 weeks ago but all the bulk came back almost immediately. is this a result of growing out? is it a common effect of growing out? will it ever get any thinner!?? :( im so tempted to chop it all off

Comments

• SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you using plain lemon juice as a conditioner? That can't be good! Lemon juice by itself is very drying.
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curlyq929 wrote: »
    hey everyone, my hair used to be a really nice medium texture, but now that i have been growing my hair for about a year its become SO thick and hard to manage. i cant do anything with it. it feels really frizzy and coarse. im big on natural hair care so i've been using lemon juice as a conditioner and to give it more shine but its not working as well as i'd hoped. i had it thinned about 3 weeks ago but all the bulk came back almost immediately. is this a result of growing out? is it a common effect of growing out? will it ever get any thinner!?? :( im so tempted to chop it all off

Having your hair "thinned" was not the best idea. For curly or wavy hair, that just creates more interior layers that will curl and wave on their own, causing more bulk.That is probably why it feels coarse and frizzy.Please let it grow out and never let anyone go near it with a razor or thinning shears.
    The lemon juice is probably drying your hair too, and raising the cuticle.
    You don't say what else you are using, so otherwise I can't comment.
    Oh, and never complain about having nice thick hair.
    Just learn to take care of it and style it in a flattering way.There are many people who would love to change places with you.
  • naturalblondie88naturalblondie88 Posts: 105Registered Users
    crwritt wrote: »
    Having your hair "thinned" was not the best idea. For curly or wavy hair, that just creates more interior layers that will curl and wave on their own, causing more bulk.That is probably why it feels coarse and frizzy.Please let it grow out and never let anyone go near it with a razor or thinning shears.
    The lemon juice is probably drying your hair too, and raising the cuticle.
    You don't say what else you are using, so otherwise I can't comment.
    Oh, and never complain about having nice thick hair.
    Just learn to take care of it and style it in a flattering way.There are many people who would love to change places with you.

I agree with this. I had my hair thinned about 5 days ago, and I have ruined my texture! My curls are frizzy and dry, and I can't even straighten it during the awkward stages of growing out bc my hair sticks straight out in the back! I will NEVER let anyone near my hair with thinning shears again.
    Mostly 2c
    Medium Width, Low Porosity (unsure), and Med-High Density
    Frizz is a huge problem for me

Routine currently undergoing maintenance.
    Low-Poo: PM Wild Ginger Awapuhi
    CO/RO: SN Coconut
    LI: GR Sleek & Shine
    Mousse: HETT
    Gel: HE Set Me Up
    Pomade: BedHead Manipulator
    DT: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Hair Likes: moisture, pineappling, scrunching
    Hair Dislikes: raking product in, glycerin
  • Curlyq929Curlyq929 Posts: 27Registered Users
    thanks so much for the advice guys! i had no idea thinning was so bad!

as for the lemon juice- i usually water it down a lot but its not doing as much for my hair as it used to.
  • AsLckyGrlAsLckyGrl Posts: 188Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with the others. Lemon juice can be used occasionally or with plenty of conditioner for added shine.

And thinning was the worst thing I ever did for my "bulkiness." Straight-haired folk dont understand, because for them, thinning the hair works just fine. A few layers is all I could ever dream of. Long layers, at that.

Once the thinned parts grow out, the bulk should die down a lot. Also, more moisture.
    3B ; BSL; Low Porosity; Med Texture; CG since July '10.
    Clean: Ever Sleek
    Treat: EVCO, Neutrogena 3xMoisture
    Tools: Boar Brush, wide tooth comb
    Styler: Garnier Sleek&Shine
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hey everyone, my hair used to be a really nice medium texture, but now that i have been growing my hair for about a year its become SO thick and hard to manage. i cant do anything with it. it feels really frizzy and coarse.
    :sad3:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with thick hair. My hair I'm willing to bet is twice as thick as yours. I make it work. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but your hair growing out is going to make it thicker if you're a wavy or curly, DUH. Like everyone else has already said the lemon juice is probably drying it out, so knock it out with that. Also, as it's been mentioned, "thinning" just makes it "thicker" due to all the layers wanting to do their own thing. I'm sure you know that now.

Hun there is nothing wrong with thicker hair; it just means you're going to have to change your regimen. If you're not willing to work with it and find out what does and doesn't fly then yeah, cutting it off will probably be your best option. But really, thicker hair is not the end of the world. Thick hair is beautiful. You just have to get the hang of it :)
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There's a thread dedicated to people who have "thinning hair" but not one for people with thick hair. ;)
    i cant do anything with it.
    Maybe not YET, but that's because you just don't know how! You can always learn. There's a lot of information floating around here.

Trust me, I have thick hair too. It's really not a big deal, and it's certainly not a curse. After getting it thinned out several times, complaining about how much hair I had, and finally chopping it all (10+inches) off in frustration, I can honestly say I appreciate my hair for what it is.

If you need any help with product recommendations or styling, just send me a PM. I'd love to help you out.

Take care.
  • Lioness893Lioness893 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Get your hair cut in layers . Thats what I did and now I can actually pull my hair into a ponytail:toothy8:
    People made fun of me because I was a "mop head" but I told them I had a lions mane. :thumbleft:
  • Bridal.WreathBridal.Wreath Posts: 65Registered Users
    I have thick hair and, I love it. I get a lot of volume. Instead of thinning it, try getting some layers, like the person above me said. It will allow your hair to lay more neatly on your head.
    CG since Feb. 18, 2011
  • vorsyblvorsybl Banned Posts: 20Banned Users
    Yeah I have thick hair, very thick hair, in terms of density and strand width.
  • Mandrew86Mandrew86 Posts: 1Registered Users
    as for the lemon juice- i usually water it down a lot but its not doing as much for my hair as it used to.

I can't speak for lemon juice because I have never tried it but I can tell you that using any one product for an extended period of time begets diminishing returns. While shopping, healthy eaters will sometimes buy alternate foods like turkey ham instead of chicken for their sandwiches because they have different nutrients. If they didn't do this their body risks depleting itself of vital nutrients.

Similarly, if you condition your hair with the same product for too long your hair misses out on some much needed nutrients and will act differently, such as bunching up rather than being a nice medium texture. So constantly switch between products and your hair will continue to be beautiful and shiny. A reasonable period is 14 days. I switch to a different shampoo, conditioner, and body wash every other Sunday and that works well for me.

I would suggest to stop using the lemon juice and switch to another product for at least two weeks preferably four, this will allow you to switch between three products and provides a more balanced assortment of nutrients.

It doesn't matter what you use as long as your hair gets all the nutrients it needs.
  • curlykristxcurlykristx Posts: 445Registered Users
    i have super thick hair, i did have a bad occasion where my hair was butchered when it was thinned out by that razor thing they use but after jus looking around i found a stylist who has curly hair herself and understands that if its over thinned it will look frizzy, she thins my hair with shears and its great results for me...so jus remember to figure out what works for others may not be same for you. any questions pm me, ive got super thick coarse hair and always here to help :)
  • bliss611bliss611 Posts: 238Registered Users
    From what I'm picturing, your hair just needs a healthy dose of moisture. Partly, curly hair tends to be dry and that lemon juice - even watered down - is drying out your hair. Try a rich rinse-out conditioner whenever you wash your hair and a good deep conditioner once a week and see if your hair is better in a few weeks.

I have medium texture THICK hair as well. And when it's dry, it's frizzy and feels coarser than it is. Well-hydrated hair sits better, has less "pouf" and feels smoother to the touch.

Give it a shot.
    3B curls
    Medium texture
    Normal elasticity
    High porosity
  • elenaaelenaa Posts: 190Registered Users
    my hair is thick as HELL & on top of that its short
    i put ALOT of conditioner like terri la flesh to keep it thinner
    but i actually like my hair kinda thick just not when its dry thick LOL

ive never tried lemon juice but if you want shine try using A TINY bit of oil
  • Blonde_Wave_LoverBlonde_Wave_Lover Posts: 37Registered Users
    well my hairs pretty hard to understand, on the day i wash it, it is probably medium thickness leaning towards thin. then the next day it is THICK then the next day (if i dont decide i hate my hair so much that i will wash it again) it is like mrs thicks undies before she went on a diet!!! D:
    i think its the way i sleep, cos my hair gets pretty good clumps (sometimes) on wash-days, then i think at night the clumps divide and divide and sometimes i can even separate my nice looking waveycurlythings from the frizz/stuff thats been like rejected from its curlclump and just hangs about hiding what nice hair i do have :/
    i was gonna just detangle it really roughly once or twice to pull out a bunch ofhair (thus making it thinner) but then someone on here said it can ruin your curl pattern, and since im having enough trouble with that anyways, i decided against it.
    any suggestions?? :)
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
    Lemon juice is not a conditioner. Stop stop stop!
    If you want to use it as a quick rinse every couple weeks to clarify your curls, thats fine, but do not leave it in for a few minutes every day like you would a conditioner. It is an acid, and is probably breaking down your hair shaft little by little, as well as making your hair photo-degenerative, because citrus has photo-toxic properties (I used to know girls who would put lemon in their hair & lay in the sun for highlights - which just made their hair like straw)

Thick long curls are awesome! But, what exactly are you trying to acheive? Are you looking to make your curls more defined? Elongated? Healthier?
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file