Shouldn't my hair be better by now?

ththdththd Posts: 306Registered Users Curl Novice
I have been CG for almost a year and my hair is slightly better than before I went CG. Shouldn't it be alot better by now?? I feel like it is just as dry and hard to get a good curl pattern. I thought giving it all this time and trying lots of different products I would see a HUGE change by now. On livecurlylivefree she makes it sound like I should be amazed with my hair by now. What is wrong with me?? Anybody else feel this way??
Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
Giovanni weightless leave-in
My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes I think you'd see a change in a year - my hair feels much better, and it was in good shape to begin with so so I didn't really even expect improvement. But it tangles WAY less and is less frizzy, it's clearly healthier.

In a year you get about 6 inches of growth, all that new growth has been well treated. It is certainly possible that the ends can be damaged beyond repair, but those 6 inches should be healthy, happy, and less frizzy - are they not?

Also are you confident you have the right balance of moisture and protein?
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • ththdththd Posts: 306Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yes I think you'd see a change in a year - my hair feels much better, and it was in good shape to begin with so so I didn't really even expect improvement. But it tangles WAY less and is less frizzy, it's clearly healthier.

In a year you get about 6 inches of growth, all that new growth has been well treated. It is certainly possible that the ends can be damaged beyond repair, but those 6 inches should be healthy, happy, and less frizzy - are they not?

Also are you confident you have the right balance of
    moisture and protein?

I have had 7 inches cut off over the course of the year. My ends are still very dry and frizzy. I have no idea about the moisture/protein balance. I have tried to figure it out but don't think I quite get it. My hair seems to hate protein. If I use products that have it in them I can get one or 2 days good then it looks and feels like straw. I use GVPCB for DT and it doesn't help for several days. My hair seems to love moisture but I don't want to over do it.
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ththd wrote: »
    I have been CG for almost a year and my hair is slightly better than before I went CG. Shouldn't it be alot better by now?? I feel like it is just as dry and hard to get a good curl pattern. I thought giving it all this time and trying lots of different products I would see a HUGE change by now. On livecurlylivefree she makes it sound like I should be amazed with my hair by now. What is wrong with me?? Anybody else feel this way??

In regards to the bolded: we wavies are notorious for our uneven curl pattern and I think we're more prone to having multiple "types" on our head. Most wavies describe themselves as 2a/b 2c/3a, etc. Therefore if you are going CG in search of a more consistent curl pattern (in other words you want the same size/shape waves all over your head), you may be disappointed. That kind of consistency is not natural for most wavies whom I have seen.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• moomoomoomoo Posts: 15Registered Users

I have had 7 inches cut off over the course of the year. My ends are still very dry and frizzy.

I think what this may be telling you is that your hair is still damaged. How long was your hair before you started CG? If you had 25 inches of damaged hair and grew 6 inches of healthy hair, then cutting off 7 inches is going to leave you with 18 inches of damaged hair and 6 inches of healthy hair. Does that make sense? I bleached a section of hair once (my hair is medium to dark brown). That bleached section of hair was dry and damaged and just yucky until it had completely grown out, even with all the moisturizing and treatments in the world. It was just yucky. The new grown of that sections was nice and healthy, but there was no way to get it to look nice until ALL the damaged hair was gone.

I'm not saying you BC your hair. That's your choice. But you might not get amazing results, regardless of what you do, until the damaged ends are gone. Of course, that depends on how damaged your hair was to begin with! Just an idea of why you may not be seeing any results after so long.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair seems to love moisture but I don't want to over do it.
    Do you get overmoisturized? If not, I wouldn't be too scared of moisture. I throw tons of moisture at my hair just to keep it moisturized enough. I don't think I could ever get too much moisture.
    Just to echo what cheetra was saying, wavy hair is not naturally even (for the vast majority) and it is unrealistic to make that a goal.
    Oh, and nothing is wrong with YOU. You have tried lots of stuff and just haven't come across the combo of products and techniques. Looks like you are unlucky enough to have PITA hair. Beautiful PITA hair, but still a pain.
    If you are looking for someone to commiserate with, Lilagirl has been struggling with her hair for a long time now too.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Squinting at your little sig pic -- are you blonde? Light hair gets especially damaged by the sun. Is your water hard? Hard water makes hair feel "dry." The majority of the country has hard water and unless you have a water softener (the whole-house kind), you do too. Some cities partially soften water in treatment like mine, but were I to fill a big glass with water and let it all evaporate, there would be some minerals dried on. My humidifier needs cleaning practically daily when I use it!

Question for you: What is the feeling you describe as "dry" exactly? What are the symptoms of dry hair to you? Maybe it's not lack of moisture that is your problem, but something else? Give us more details -- somebody might know just what to do.

If it was always hard to get a good curl pattern to hold, that may not change unless your hair had low elasticity in the past and you have used protein to patch up damage and restore elasticity.

If you want to know the effect of your water, get some distilled water for washing your hair (they're cheap at any grocery store) and use that a few washes.
    Cheetara wrote: »

In regards to the bolded: we wavies are notorious for our uneven curl pattern and I think we're more prone to having multiple "types" on our head. Most wavies describe themselves as 2a/b 2c/3a, etc. Therefore if you are going CG in search of a more consistent curl pattern (in other words you want the same size/shape waves all over your head), you may be disappointed. That kind of consistency is not natural for most wavies whom I have seen.

I'm going by what my hair used to be before straightening it with bleached high lights for 2 years. I had very curly hair not wavy. I still have some bleached high lights on top to cover nasty greys but the bleach (before straightening) never used to be that bad on my hair. I am just longing for my old curls back.
    moomoo wrote: »

I have had 7 inches cut off over the course of the year. My ends are still very dry and frizzy.

I think what this may be telling you is that your hair is still damaged. How long was your hair before you started CG? If you had 25 inches of damaged hair and grew 6 inches of healthy hair, then cutting off 7 inches is going to leave you with 18 inches of damaged hair and 6 inches of healthy hair. Does that make sense? I bleached a section of hair once (my hair is medium to dark brown). That bleached section of hair was dry and damaged and just yucky until it had completely grown out, even with all the moisturizing and treatments in the world. It was just yucky. The new grown of that sections was nice and healthy, but there was no way to get it to look nice until ALL the damaged hair was gone.

I'm not saying you BC your hair. That's your choice. But you might not get amazing results, regardless of what you do, until the damaged ends are gone. Of course, that depends on how damaged your hair was to begin with! Just an idea of why you may not be seeing any results after so long.

I had bra strap length hair when I got it cut and it brought it up to my shoulders. I have no idea how many inches total but I know it was close to half. I do need another hair cut but the top part isn't even much better where all the new growth is. My underneath seems to be the best. I only do a partial high light on top to cover greys about 3 times a year. My hair is naturally a deep red and medium brown mix. My hair stylist said I have super strong hair and it wasn't as bad as I was saying it was...I just lost the curl. She said she had never seen someone straighten and bleach their hair and lose the curl and still not be horribly damaged. My sister has my type hair and did the same thing and she started losing her hair. It was breaking off!
    pedaheh wrote: »
    My hair seems to love moisture but I don't want to over do it.
    Do you get overmoisturized? If not, I wouldn't be too scared of moisture. I throw tons of moisture at my hair just to keep it moisturized enough. I don't think I could ever get too much moisture.
    Just to echo what cheetra was saying, wavy hair is not naturally even (for the vast majority) and it is unrealistic to make that a goal.
    Oh, and nothing is wrong with YOU. You have tried lots of stuff and just haven't come across the combo of products and techniques. Looks like you are unlucky enough to have PITA hair. Beautiful PITA hair, but still a pain.
    If you are looking for someone to commiserate with, Lilagirl has been struggling with her hair for a long time now too.

Thank you so much for the compliment pedaheh and for saying it's not me. I feel like it's me though. I feel like I can't grasp this CG thing and I'm doing something wrong. I did try a lot of moisture one day last week and the underneath was awesome but the top and sides looked nasty. I would think the bleached parts would love the moisture but they don't.

I will look up Lilagirl, thanks!
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Squinting at your little sig pic -- are you blonde? Light hair gets especially damaged by the sun. Is your water hard? Hard water makes hair feel "dry." The majority of the country has hard water and unless you have a water softener (the whole-house kind), you do too. Some cities partially soften water in treatment like mine, but were I to fill a big glass with water and let it all evaporate, there would be some minerals dried on. My humidifier needs cleaning practically daily when I use it!

Question for you: What is the feeling you describe as "dry" exactly? What are the symptoms of dry hair to you? Maybe it's not lack of moisture that is your problem, but something else? Give us more details -- somebody might know just what to do.

If it was always hard to get a good curl pattern to hold, that may not change unless your hair had low elasticity in the past and you have used protein to patch up damage and restore elasticity.

If you want to know the effect of your water, get some distilled water for washing your hair (they're cheap at any grocery store) and use that a few washes.

My water is very hard! I know this is an issue also. As for the "dry" feeling...it feels really dry after drying with diffuser. It's mainly the top part where I high light but that seems to hate moisture. It also hates protein. If I use products with protein it looks and feels like straw. I have used the K-pak and did a DT and it was like straw for over a week! I stopped using TJ Refresh (which I only used once a week because of build up) because it was drying it out also. My hair used to look like I had a perm before I started straightening it. I was definitely not a wavy but now I have to categorize myself as such.

Even when I straightened it I only washe it every other day or even every 3 days, I used heat protector, and I let my hair air dry before straightening it so I wasn't blow drying also. I think the silicones did this to me!
  • hecatemelhecatemel Posts: 31Registered Users
    Did you try putting on a moisturizing deep treatment after you did a protein treatment? My hair was like this for awhile and I realised that to a point, my hair just stopped taking in the moisture and become dry and brittle just like what happened to you.

I realized then that if I do a PT I do get straw-like hair too, but a DT after usually balances everything out and the dry and brittleness is more or less gone.

I used to think my hair hated protein as well but it turns out that all it needed as the right dosage at the right time!

2b/c, thick, medium-coarse and Currently using

Deep condition: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
    Low Poo: DevaCurl Low Poo
    Condition: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave In: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Leave In
    Style: Herbal Essences Set Me Up
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ok, from everything you posted (better hair underneath where it's not colored, un-colored hair responding to conditioner but top hair not), I think the bleach IS damaging your hair. Even if you have strong hair, bleach takes plenty away from it - I have remarkably strong hair and when it was bleached it didn't curl and it felt a lot different even though it didn't split or have obvious damage. Your hair, damaged, may still be as strong as someone else's hair undamaged, but that doesn't mean it isn't damaged, if that makes sense.

Which isn't at all to say I think you should stop coloring it, I think you should have it the color you want! But it does mean that you might want to try putting more protein on that top layer, and maybe rinsing in cold water, maybe rinsing hair upside down so that more conditioner stays in the top layer, if you treat it like damaged hair - even though the hairdresser says it isn't - perhaps it will respond.

But also, on used to be curly and now you are wavy? That changes throughout life normally, it may not be due to any sort of damage, just normal.

Good luck and I hope you do find the right routine and products to make your hair the best it can be.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    hecatemel wrote: »
    Did you try putting on a moisturizing deep treatment after you did a protein treatment? My hair was like this for awhile and I realised that to a point, my hair just stopped taking in the moisture and become dry and brittle just like what happened to you.

I realized then that if I do a PT I do get straw-like hair too, but a DT after usually balances everything out and the dry and brittleness is more or less gone.

I used to think my hair hated protein as well but it turns out that all it needed as the right dosage at the right time!

yes, I came home from the salon and did a DT right away. Maybe I need to do 2 DT's or smething after a PT. I know if I use mousse with protein in it after the 2nd or 3rd time using it my hair seems to hate it. I also found just the protein in SN coconut condish as a cowash was making my hair feel more dry. I always followed up with Tresemme Naturals nourishing and then GVPCB as LI.

I guess after all this time I'm still not done experimenting!

Thank you for the response!
    Ok, from everything you posted (better hair underneath where it's not colored, un-colored hair responding to conditioner but top hair not), I think the bleach IS damaging your hair. Even if you have strong hair, bleach takes plenty away from it - I have remarkably strong hair and when it was bleached it didn't curl and it felt a lot different even though it didn't split or have obvious damage. Your hair, damaged, may still be as strong as someone else's hair undamaged, but that doesn't mean it isn't damaged, if that makes sense.

Which isn't at all to say I think you should stop coloring it, I think you should have it the color you want! But it does mean that you might want to try putting more protein on that top layer, and maybe rinsing in cold water, maybe rinsing hair upside down so that more conditioner stays in the top layer, if you treat it like damaged hair - even though the hairdresser says it isn't - perhaps it will respond.

But also, on used to be curly and now you are wavy? That changes throughout life normally, it may not be due to any sort of damage, just normal.

Good luck and I hope you do find the right routine and products to make your hair the best it can be.

Thank you Robin and thank you to all that replied. I appreciate it! You're probably right about the bleach but at 36 I hate the grey more...LOL. I got my first grey at 27 which was way too soon! I still don't understand why the parts that are the most damaged seem to hate the moisture?? I would think those pieces would soak it up but it makes my hair look dirty on top. I will keep trying!!!! Maybe in another year I will be happier!!!
    I was looking at the LALooks Mega Hold and the 3rd ingredient is amino acids...protein right?? I tell ya my hair hates protein! My hair isn't liking the Cashmere either I think because of the castor oil. Maybe my whole issue is the gels and mousses I use. I always end up with ones that have proteins or oils in them. They work for a short while and then disaster! I guess it may be time to try another gel or mousse. I may have to break down and make FSG. It doesn't have protein does it??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file