CurlTalk

Organix Brazilian Keratin Therapy

i saw these new products by Organix in CVS

the treatment is supposed to work for up to 30 days. the shampoo & condish are sulfate & sodium free. they also have a flat iron spray.

Organix -brazilian keratin

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnouveaucheap.blogspot.com%2F201...n-therapy.html" class="Popup

the ingredients to the keratin treatment:

Water, oxoacetamide, carbocysteine, oxoacetamide amino acids, polyquaternium 67, behentrimonium chloride, cetearyl alcohol, peg-90, Shea butteramodipropyl trimonium chloride, Shea butter, cetyl ester, isopropylpalmitate, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicol, dimethicone crosspolymer, methyl chloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazoline, fragrance, silanetriol, panthenol

it doesn't have formaldehyde in it

it doesn't have keratin in it either

when i googled the 2nd & 3rd ingredients this link came up
Easy Keratin - Brazilian Keratin at home Products

almost of all the same ingredients as the Easy Keratin product

according to this website, /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.biokeratine.fr%2Fbio-cystei...ment-500ml.htm" class="Popup, oxoacetamide carbocysteine is a substitute for formaldehyde.

have they finally invented a truly formaldehyde free keratin treatment?

Has anyone used these yet?

Comments

• waviewavie Posts: 237Registered Users
    Wow. Looks too good to be true! :blob2:
    Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
    HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Posts: 521Registered Users
    All of The online reviews have been really positive and for only 15 bucks I'll totally buy a kit an try it out next month. I will certainly post a review.
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fdimepieceonadime.tumblr.com%2F" class="Popup
  • SexxyCaramel80SexxyCaramel80 Posts: 66Registered Users
    Hairguru17 wrote: »
    All of The online reviews have been really positive and for only 15 bucks I'll totally buy a kit an try it out next month. I will certainly post a review.

thanks! i can't wait for your review.
  • crystalbtrfly07crystalbtrfly07 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Yay! Ok, I definitely have to look into this. I was about to get QOD Max, but now it makes sense to try this first as long as people are getting good results. The price is way better than the Liquid Keratin too, which I think is the only other BKT sold in stores for at home use. About $15 a month is WAY better than around $60. If I decide on this, I'm getting highlights and then doing. I'll share my results if I go through with it. :)
    I'm SO looking forward to the reviews! Thanks ladies! :toothy7:
    Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
    HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner
    I got this at Walgreens today. They are having a BOGO 1/2 Off sale on Organix products. They were the last two on the shelf, and the shampoo was completely gone. I've got to get a new flat iron, but I think I'll do it in about two weeks.
    I got this at Walgreens today. They are having a BOGO 1/2 Off sale on Organix products. They were the last two on the shelf, and the shampoo was completely gone. I've got to get a new flat iron, but I think I'll do it in about two weeks.

I did find one review in which the woman claims that her 3c curls still aren't back after a month, and that results with this treatment were stronger than with other professional brands.

This makes me wary. I also don't like the fact that this product doesn't actually contain any keratin in it.

I will try this once i read more reviews.
    okay, i've done more research and the reviews on amazon have been overall really positive. I'm going to buy the product today and will try it sometime in may for my BKT root touch up. I will keep you posted!!
    i just bought it yesterday from Ulta since i had coupon for $3.50 off a $10 purchase. my hair is braided right now but in about 3 more weeks i will test it out on a small area in the back of my head. don't want to do my whole head until i see what my hair's reaction will be.
  • WilstababeWilstababe Posts: 1Registered Users
    I bought this product because I have had curly frizzy hair my whole life, and I'm up to trying anything to calm it down. I have fallen in love with the product. My curly frizzy hair is so much more relaxed and looks great with the use of this product, I can still wear a curly hair style but one that is appealing. The product also makes my flat ironing/blow drying time cut in half. I would recommend this to anyone!
    I think I might go ahead and try this...maybe. I'm so indecisive. :tongue5:

Did anyone have trouble with it lightening or drying out hair? I've seen complaints about that once or twice...
    Has anyone found this product to last the full 30 days or longer?
    there is a new review of this product on amazon from an experienced BKTer and i think you all should check it out. This review is REALLY insightful, so it's worth a read.

The gist:

1. not recommended for blondes because it can change the hair color
    2. Not so sure this is "formaldehyde free" . It may contain some aldehydes, so says this user...but how could this be sold for use at home at CVS if this were true? All other professional BKTS have to cop to the level of aldehyde or formaldehyde, why would this product be exempt?
    3. She says this straightens the hair just as well as some strong salon only bkts, so again, I'm a little worried. Not that I'm worried this will straighten my hair too much, but worried about what percentage of this mystery "straightener" is in the product. This reviewer says its Oxoacetamide, but i can't find any information about this chemical worth a damn.
  • MizzashMizzash Posts: 7Registered Users
    Hi guys,
    I'm new here kind of...been lurking for awhile. I swear I am not product pushing for any of these companies. I just have been doing LOTS of research to decide if I want to put this Organix product in my hair. I am the type of person who is becoming more conscious of the chemicals that are going in it. I have an unintentional transition happening right now. I was VERY turned off from these treatments for awhile due to reports of hidden "hydes". So I spotted this at CVS and thought maybe theres hope that this really does have less toxic chemicals. I looked up every ingredient in the list which I will copy paste from my review on amazon to here.
    Before I do I want to point out one key ingredient which is the "Oxoacetamide" I think someone previously mentioned (maybe on another board) seeing this ingredient in another keratin product claiming to have less harmful chemicals. In that type of keratin Oxoacetamide was present. It is also present in the organix product. I'm also here to tell you that I looked up the MSDS of the new Keratin product by CHI called "CHI ENVIRO American Smoothing Treatment" Where the claim is that this product not harmful to you. No Hydes. The MSDS shows that it is in fact very low toxicity and that the same active ingredients that appear in CHI are also present in Organix. I thought that was interesting and important to mention as I'm willing to bet Organix is significantly cheaper and more attainable. Here is the link to my blog with the rest of my review (sorry guys google doesn't like that I had this post in 2 places)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Falwaysacritic.com%2F2011%2F03%2F24%2Forganix-ever-straight-brazilian-keratin-therapy-30-day-smoothing-treatment%2F" class="Popup
  • morningstarmorningstar Posts: 143Registered Users
    Wow - thanks for doing all that research Mizzash. So are you planning to use the organix or have you already?
    3B dark brown shoulder length
    Co-wash, Living Proof No frizz, Biolage Gel, Giovanni vitapro fusion leave in
    I did this treatment on my sister's weave "leave out" about a 1/4 section of hair.

She has thick 4/a curls. We did not use a 450 % flat iron. We used her coriliss iron that she had in her purse.

Some reviews on amazon claim this product stinks really badly and that it lightens the hair. Didn't happen to us. No rotten odor, no hair discoloration. My sister dyes her hair jet black.

The product is gloopy and there is way too much product for one application in bottle. If i were to do her whole head, I would use 2.5-3 ounces. Not the full 3.3. I imagine using more product would product more odors, but again, didn't happen to us. As for fumes and such, they were minimal. If you've ever had a strong BKT formula where you are GAGGING on the fumes, you'll be presently surprised by how "non toxic" smelling this is.

My sister is very active. She did use a pony tail holder, and went to kick boxing and hot yoga during the two day wait. the product leaves a thick coat on your hair, so get ready. stuff that looked like dandruff in some places, too.

Results?
    FABULOUS!- Shine shine and pretty soft relaxed curls. Not straight, but relaxed. If we used the right flat iron, and she wasn't so active, I'm sure it could have gotten even more straight. Now it's all about how long it lasts. Will update!
    I don't have a hot enough flat iron..I may just wait until I have that. Not sure...I would like to do it this week. I might just try it on a section with the iron have and see what happens.
    Results?
    FABULOUS!- Shine shine and pretty soft relaxed curls. Not straight, but relaxed. If we used the right flat iron, and she wasn't so active, I'm sure it could have gotten even more straight. Now it's all about how long it lasts. Will update!

Wow! Glad to hear she had such great results. I think people are putting too much on the hair. I imagine the more you apply the stronger the smell. Any demonstrations I have seen it's basically just coated not saturated. Some use a spray bottle to apply. My hair is work right now and I just straightened it. I might wait a few days to give it a break from the heat and stress.
    Mizzash wrote: »
    Results?

Wow! Glad to hear she had such great results. I think people are putting too much on the hair. I imagine the more you apply the stronger the smell. Any demonstrations I have seen it's basically just coated not saturated. Some use a spray bottle to apply. My hair is work right now and I just straightened it. I might wait a few days to give it a break from the heat and stress.

I wouldn't use a spray bottle with the organix bkt. it's thick and creamy and I'd want to be able to feel the level of coating on the hair strands. But I'm an old pro at applying BKTs, so I know what feels right. I agree, using too much would obviously create more fumes, and more odor.

ps. I had previously done a QOD max bkt on her "leave out," and the results were not as great as with this. She felt QOD max just washed out after the second wash. She thinks this is MUCH better. She also raved about how straight it got with just the use of a blow dryer! Her hair texture is naturally very soft, but like I said, very tightly curly ( 4a), so this is amazing.
  • zerbitzerbit Posts: 47Registered Users
    Has anyone just tried the shampoo and conditioner?
  • MochachinoMochachino Posts: 191Registered Users
    I just tried the Organix brazilian keratin therapy yesterday. My hair feels rough and coated. It is also very puffy and frizzy today. It was not like that last night. It did lighten my brown 4a hair There are strands in my hair that appear somewhat gold colored. I actually like the color. Maybe I did not use enough. I followed the directions exactly.
    I've got a pair of ruby slippers that I don't wear much anymore
    And if I had the nerve I'd click my heels and return o the wonderland I knew before
    Alana Davis "Crazy"
    Hi everyone,

I just did the treatment today- well, technically my mom did it, and I will be doing it on her hair tomorrow. I have high-lift blonde hair that I got highlighted a week ago. So, it's a medium golden blonde with a bunch of light blonde highlights. So far I have not noticed any change in color which was one of my biggest concerns.

We used the brush and bowl method to apply it and combed through each section. I think this may be one thing that some people aren't doing and they end up putting on way too much product. In fact, my hair still feels a bit heavy, stiff, and producty even though I know my mom was trying not to put too much on. My hair is fairly thick, wavy/curly, and 4-5 inches past my shoulders, and there is still some product left in the bottle. I need two tubes/bottles of hair dye for my entire head, so I was worried that I would need more than one bottle of this treatment. I doubt too many people will truly need to use the entire bottle.

It smelled very cocoa buttery to me when applying it. When I was drying it/ flat-ironing it, it smelled a bit like butter that was browning or on the verge of burning. Not the best smell ever, but not super chemically. I could also see fumes or steam (not sure which) when it was heated. When my brother came home, he thought it smelled sickeningly sweet.

For those that did the treatment, how many times did you wash with the pre-treatment/shampoo? I did it twice because I hadn't washed my hair in a few days, but it definitely made my hair feel dry and tangled. At the same time it felt kind of... keratin-y. I believe the pre-treatment has keratin, but does that really stay in after rinsing?

My hair is looking very straight (with the exception of quite a few flyaways), but it still has enough volume at the roots to make me happy. I was worried it would be stick straight and greasy looking. I'll let you know after the two days how it looks when I wash it. :)
    Oh, and I used 450 degrees with a Pink Titanium Hot Tools flat iron but only went over each strand about 5 times because I was scared of damage. It seems to work pretty well, I just wish the plates were longer. I got it for $27 on ebay, but now the same seller has it for $22. *sigh* Oh well. My TJ Maxx, Ross, and Marshalls have been really low on flat irons lately (maybe there's a lot of BKT-ing going on), so this seemed like a really good deal.
  • learning2luvmycurlslearning2luvmycurls Posts: 25Registered Users
    I did this treatment one week ago and am very impressed with the results of how straight my hair is! I washed with the shampoo they give you the night before and then let it air dry. It was a necessary evil I guess to use this shampoo, it wasn't pleasant getting the tangles out without using conditioner or anything....makes your hair feel like straw, but I got through it. The next day I did the treatment. It took me from start to finish a little less than 2 hours. My hair is 3a-b, and is shoulder length. My flat iron doesn't say what the temp is...it just has numbers 1-25....but I did use it on the highest setting. To back up, I only had to use about 1/2 of the treatment in my hair since it said not to saturate. But I still had a good amount on all over, close to saturation. I put my hair in clips like I would when I normally flat iron it. One thing I did not bargain for is that when I was flat ironing my hair, it was so hot that after I would touch the part I just did I would burn my fingers just from touching my hair! Next time maybe I'll wear rubber gloves. The smell reminded me of something sweet cooking. It didn't bother me at first, but after awhile it was a little gross. So I actually didn't think the experience of doing it was that bad....actually worth it for what you get and if it really does last that long...again, worth it. But....my hair is naturally a dark brown, I am 42, so it's graying a little, so I color it brown and highlight it with golden highlights. My hair afterwards was a funny looking blonde all over. I emailed the company and they indicated that the keratin bonds with amino acids in your hair and depending on the person....there are "isolated cases" where some people have more of those amino acids that causes the lightening of the hair. Lucky me. Anyway, I got a dark-brown semi-permanent color and put it on 2 days afterwards. My hair turned jet black! YUCK. Long story short, my hairstylist ended up telling me that I should have waited at least a full week before I put on the semi-permanent color and that's why it grabbed the color and made it black. She also suggested that if I do it again that I use a "toner" instead of a hair color. Anyway, I have been trying to fade the color all week and it's now at an acceptable color, a nice chocolate brown with some redish highlights showing through already. Whew. I feel like I'm obsessed with my hair with all of the time and energy I've spent on it all week, but I guess it's all about trial and error. I also emailed the company to see how often I can do it again because I am afraid with all of my efforts to try to fade my color that I am wearing the treatment away as well. They responded by saying that I can do it again right away because this treatment is in no way damaging to your hair, it's actually beneficial to the hair. I can believe that because I've NEVER had softer hair in my life. It feels like silk. I do recommend this treatment to anyone that is thinking about doing it. If I'd done the test strand I guess I would have known that I'm one of few that it causes lightening on...so that's my own fault. I'm so happy that I found this because I've been in the mode where I want straight hair lately, and flat ironing it a lot was not an option for me because I refuse to damage it intentionally. It's only been a week, but I haven't had to use the flat iron at all and it's very straight....I blow dry it straight with a brush to make it look nice. I tried just letting it air dry but it looked too flat. Good luck to anyone that's going to try it. I'll try to post after the 30 days to report whether it lasted that long or now.
    Fine/3a-c hair, CG since 2006
    C/O wash: Suave Waterlily Aloe, As I am Coconut Co-wash
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Custard Cream, Kinky Curly Knot Today Detangler,Herbal Essence Set me Free Gel, Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    HG: Neutral protein filler
    DT: Coconut Oil, Argan Oil
    Special Considerations: I frequently color because I have almost 50% grey, I use a semi-permanent to reduce damage
    I washed my hair on Saturday, and I am very happy with the results so far. My hair still has a slight wave, but there is much less frizz and it is so silky feeling. My bangs had been feeling really dry after getting my hair highlighted, but now they look and feel much healthier. I actually think my hair may be more glossy and softer than it's ever been. Now for some pictures. :)

My hair has no product on it in the pictures unless I mentioned it.

Before I colored my hair blonde all over:
    before2-1.jpg before1-1.jpg

A few months ago and I hadn't highlighted my hair yet (I think my hair was damp in a few places):
    before3.jpg

Right after the highlights - bad webcam quality, but you can see some dryness/frizz (blowdried and flat ironed with some moroccan oil and possibly other products to finish):
    Snapshot_20110317_7.jpg

After the treatment (air dried):
    natural1.jpg natural2.jpg natural3.jpg

After (quickly flat ironed, only used heat protectant and a tiny bit of hairspray):
    straight1.jpg straight2.jpg

I'm sure that I'm forgetting things that I wanted to say, but feel free to ask me any questions about my experience. I'm so glad there is such a great, easily accessible treatment! :D
  • dainaleeo2dainaleeo2 Posts: 5Registered Users
    @crystalbtrfly07: i registered today JUST so i could ask you about your treatment haha. I love the pictures. Wow! What a difference! That's amazing. I'm blonde as well, though my blonde is maybe just one shade lighter [only in the front, though. the rest is...light golden brown ish?], & more ash toned than golden. My main concern was the brassy-ness that a lot of people have been experiencing, but you said that you didn't. That's great :) I guess like you said the trick is to apply a bit less & not entirely saturate the hair.
    On Amazon i read that the super high heat mixed with blonde hair was what did it for her. So I was thinking about using a bit lower temp, since my hair is already pretty fine, so I don't think I need 450 haha.
    dainaleeo2 wrote: »
    @crystalbtrfly07: i registered today JUST so i could ask you about your treatment haha. I love the pictures. Wow! What a difference! That's amazing. I'm blonde as well, though my blonde is maybe just one shade lighter [only in the front, though. the rest is...light golden brown ish?], & more ash toned than golden. My main concern was the brassy-ness that a lot of people have been experiencing, but you said that you didn't. That's great :) I guess like you said the trick is to apply a bit less & not entirely saturate the hair.
    On Amazon i read that the super high heat mixed with blonde hair was what did it for her. So I was thinking about using a bit lower temp, since my hair is already pretty fine, so I don't think I need 450 haha.

Thanks! Going blonde has been a big process for me. In the first pictures, I had very grown out highlights with almost my natural color all over (natural roots, but the rest had been highlighted a long time ago then dyed a dark brown, which faded to that). That is pretty much my natural texture, and I could get much more defined curls with styling products.

Instead of getting more highlights, I wanted to go lighter all over. So, in the third picture I had used a level 9 ash dye, which realaxed the curl slightly- probably from damage. The next time I dyed it, I used Ion Hi-Lift Blonde with a Blue base. It took out a bit more of the brassiness and lightened it a bit.

All of the pictures after I got the blunt bangs are when I got it highlighted again. I'm getting to a place where I'm almost happy with the color, but I'm really aiming for a slightly lighter, much cooler blonde. All of this damaged my hair, but I have to say my hair has always been naturally very dry, and I always felt like deep conditioners did nothing for me.

I wish I knew how it would turn out on lighter, more ashy hair. I may not have noticed any additional brassy-ness because my hair is already such a golden blonde. I'm not sure if it would be worth it, but you could try a test strand.

I used 450 degrees and my hair is fairly coarse, though I was a bit scared to put it up that high. I believe the instructions say 400-450, so anything in that range should be ok. Use what you feel comfortable with, and you can always raise the temperature next time.
    i'm still waiting to use mine. i have read a few reviews where people said this stuff permanently straightened their hair. maybe it lasts longer than 30 days? most reviews are people's first time using the product. i want some where people have let the product wear off to see if their hair returned to it's original texture.