No clips, pins, or ponytails

Since i do these treatments at home I never follow this rule and it never seems to affect my results. Still, does anyone know why this rule even exists? Hair stylists just spew the crap written in the instruction manual...something about the pins and rlastics preventing the keratin from bonding to the hair. Not buying it...anyone else have an answer that makes sense?
Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
Dimefabulous-Twitter name
http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/

Comments

• ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    Hairguru17 wrote: »
    Since i do these treatments at home I never follow this rule and it never seems to affect my results. Still, does anyone know why this rule even exists? Hair stylists just spew the crap written in the instruction manual...something about the pins and rlastics preventing the keratin from bonding to the hair. Not buying it...anyone else have an answer that makes sense?

My theory--which I have stated here before so forgive my redundancy--is that something other than just the keratin "bonding" to the hair takes place. I think it changes the protein structure of the hair shaft--that's why the hair is so soft and the curls relaxed. I believe that it takes 48 hours for the chemical process to "cure" and that's why the wait. I think that during this "curing" time, the hair is soft and vulnerable to any kinks or bends that may be caused by clips or bands and will detract from the overall stick-straight appearance of the hair, which is what many people want from this process--straight hair. Much like how you have to wait 3 days to wash after chemical color or wait for a couple of days for henna to develop its true hue after application. Stylists don't have any more information than you or I...like you said...they just regurgitate whatever is written on the instruction sheet.

You and I don't care about kinks or bends because we wear our hair curly anyway. I still wouldn't care about a kink or a bend because those straighten right out with the blow dryer just like curls do. :dontknow:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • morningstarmorningstar Posts: 144Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think during the three day wait period, they didn't want you to put any bends in your hair and simply keep it pin straight. I only attempted to follow the rule when I got my first BKT (for fear of ruining it), but haven't since and do not notice any problems.
    3B dark brown shoulder length
    Co-wash, Living Proof No frizz, Biolage Gel, Giovanni vitapro fusion leave in
  • SexyCapSexyCap Posts: 52Registered Users
    Cool. I was really worried about this and was tempted to wash my hair earlier than the 48 hours because I've been wearing it under a wig cap... I was afraid my hair might break or something crazy. I also flat ironed it again when I woke up this morning, since it said no bends or kinks. I'm assuming I didn't really need to do that if I want to keep it curly? I'm so impatient lol
  • PJsMomPJsMom Posts: 173Registered Users
    Yea, I minimize my clips and elastics...but I don't avoid them during the wait period...that's why I just turn the flat iron on and smooth my hair back out...I only followed the rule after my very first treatment
    3c/4a

BC - 25 July 2006

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file