what about baby shampoo?

wossoyiwossoyi Registered Users Posts: 1
I have a friend who has that cool kinky almost african hair. She tells me that most shampoos that she's used for her hair type (for african hair) makes her hair fall out slowly. So right now, she uses the Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo.

Unfortunately, when I looked at the ingredients, I didn't recognise many and have no idea which, if any, are detergents. A generic version that i bought ended up making my scalp all itchy a few years ago, so I'm not sure if baby shampoo is actually gentle or just marketed as such (as in the black hair products)

Anybody have any experience with this?

-i

Comments

• seabearseabear Registered Users Posts: 1
    I tried using baby shampoo, and it was a disaster. I think I remember reading that the pH is adjusted to be gentle to eyes, but that pH is not so great for the hair. Anyway, it made my hair very dry amd crinkly. I need a creamy shampoo.

(I no this is the no-poo board, but I need to use diluted shampoo every other wash or my scalp gets flaky)
  • coutmancoutman Registered Users Posts: 31
    Bumping , because this stuff is good and non stripping

watch out for baby shampoo. After becoming informed by this website, I looked at my kids baby shampoo, full of sls. I stopped using, now I use it as diluted handsoap.

i now use on them HairBrain wildfruit moisturizing shampoo. No Sls. and I could see the difference. www.hairbrain.com
    I am a 4a/3c/4b.Either condish wash with Jessicurl Aloeba or Jessicurl Hair Cleanser. Condish with Jessicurl Too Shea! Shake and add Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets or Curve Curly Pudding or Meringue or FOTE Aloe Vera Gel with Vitamin E.
  • riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    While Johnson's has very mild detergents, the Ph in it is a little high to prevent stinging in the eyes. This roughens up the cuticle of the hair a little. Also it does have a sulfate. Its a gentle one, but still a sulfate.

I used to use this as it was still more gentle than most commercial shampoos. I would just make sure to coat my hair with almond oil to protect it.

However, I decided there has to be something better, so I looked at the health/natural food store and found some completly sulfate-free shampoos. However not all health store brand shampoos are sulfate- free, some even have the the ultra-harsh Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, so check lables.

Right now I've been using Burts Bees Feeling Flakey with good resultsIt is so gentle, I don't have to use much oil to protect my hair, in fact I'm not sure I need any.

Other sulfate-free shamoos I found were those in the Avalon Organics line and Califonia Baby.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Neophyte
    I gave baby shampoo several tries and found that the only reliable thing about it was that each time it jacked my hair up ...ruined the texture, turning my head into a tangled dry mess. I have hair that is "partially African American" (not sure how else to phrase it) -- 3b/3c.
  • nutellanutella Registered Users Posts: 5
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been eyeing a few baby shampoos, but now I think I'll pass. I'll stick with diluted Dr. Bronner. When I run out of that, I think I'll try that Burts Bees "Feeling Flaky" shampoo. I'm not a no-pooer. I'm more of a low-pooer (use diluted, gentle liquid castile soap about twice a month). Actually, the "flavor" of Dr. B's that I've been using lately is the "Baby mild aloe," so I guess I am using a baby shampoo! But not really. It has no sulfates.
    "I keep smilin' when I come through...And I cry when I need to."
    ~Jill Scott
  • SherryLSherryL Registered Users Posts: 82
    An alternative to traditional baby shampoos (which do contain sulfates) is the California Baby line of shampoos. They are decyl polyglucose based shampoos and just about the most gentle things I have ever used!

Check out www.californiababy.com

HTH
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
  • Lady EagleLady Eagle Registered Users Posts: 1
    I used to use baby shampoo when I was "half" making my own shampoos. I was mixing herbs and other goodies into baby shampoo, which would have been wonderful except the shampoo made my hair so coarse, dry, and damaged. What a time trying to comb out the wet tangles! :shock:

If I ever make my own shampoos again (I'm trying so hard to get my scalp to like the conditioner wash only) I'll be using a castille soap with my herbs and see how that works.
    I am a 3b with very long, heavy hair that straightens out the curl. It is 46" in length, only 2 more inches to go to reach that 4 foot mark!
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    I know it's all ready been said, but baby shampoo is actually very harsh on your hair. Babies have very fine hair, and prehaps it's not as noticeable on them, but on me, my hair was a freaky frizzy mess.
    I don't use any poo at all.
    :rambo:
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    nutella wrote:
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been eyeing a few baby shampoos, but now I think I'll pass. I'll stick with diluted Dr. Bronner. When I run out of that, I think I'll try that Burts Bees "Feeling Flaky" shampoo. I'm not a no-pooer. I'm more of a low-pooer (use diluted, gentle liquid castile soap about twice a month). Actually, the "flavor" of Dr. B's that I've been using lately is the "Baby mild aloe," so I guess I am using a baby shampoo! But not really. It has no sulfates.

do you like dr bronner's? i am thinking of using that as a lowpoo before coloring...
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file