No-poo makes hair kind of clumpy?

shroomshroom Registered Users Posts: 5
I have 3a hair and recently attempted to go no-poo. However, using only conditioner made my hair kind of rough and clumpy. It was no longer soft and I didn't even want to feel it because it felt disgusting even after I had just washed it.

At first I thought it was because I wasn't completely washing out my conditioner, but I've now tried a few times, being extra-careful to wash it all out, and it still gets clumpy. I'd love some ideas about what I'm doing wrong. Or maybe my hair just isn't meant to go no-poo?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• moomoomoomoo Registered Users Posts: 15
    I'm a total newb at this, too, so I'm sure a much wiser, more experienced cg will show up soon to give us sage advice :)

Until then, have you tried applying different products or applying them in a different order? I just started no poo, but I already noticed that different products produce a big different in my hair quality. Also, what I do with my hair (like while it's drying, whether or not I comb it, etc.) has a big affect on how it looks and feels. If your hair isn't feeling soft, maybe you need to try a different conditioner or a different leave in conditioner? Maybe a special rinse or treatment would take away the stiffness that you're feeling?

As for the clumpiness, I'm jealous. I feel if I can only get my hair to clump, I'll eliminate most of my current frizz problem!

I say keep at it, try new things, experiment a bit...
  • shroomshroom Registered Users Posts: 5
    I've actually tried a couple different conditioners to try and solve my problem, but none of them really seemed to make a significant difference. I'll try to look into special treatments for my hair, though.

Oh, and don't be at all jealous of my hair's clumpiness... It's not at all like what I see in the beautiful hair around this forum. It just feels kind of gross and blech, which is the problem.

Thanks so much for your help!
  • mesuemesue Registered Users Posts: 244 Curl Neophyte
    Maybe you are protein sensitive? Have you checked if the conditioners you are using have protein? If so, do some reading in the protein sensitive section of the forum and see if anything there sounds like what you are experiencing.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page for a list of ingredients containing protein: Live Curly Live Free - Product Ingredients

That is all I can think of... but like moomoo said, you may need to experiment to figure out what works best for your hair.
    Sue

Axed the perpetual ponytail and went curly on 1/6/2011.
    Hair Properties: 3a/b, fine-medium texture, thick density, normal porosity.
    Still experimenting with products and routine.
    So far, I like: FSG, GTTTT, V05 Conditioners, protein treatments, this towel.

"Well, as soon as we get ourselves cleaned up and we get a little smellum in our hair, why, we're gonna feel 100% better about ourselves and about life in general." - Ulysses Everett McGill
  • Tati-AnaTati-Ana Registered Users Posts: 133
    I had the same problem after starting no poo. My hair is also 3a/b and it looked and felt really dirty, dry and sticky after no pooing in comparance with shampooing. Furthermore the sculp was itchy and the little volume I had was gone. I read here, that this routine can be adjusted on the personal preferences so I'm applying a sls free shampoo and a cone-free conditioner as usual now. Although I'm thinking about trying no poo once again, I'm not sure whether my hair likes it.
    "Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get" George Bernard Shaw
  • willowmina moonwillowmina moon Registered Users Posts: 109
    If you have been using products with silicone this just may be residue of those. It may take a while for them all to be gone. Also try different conditioners for co-washing. You don't say the one's that you are using. They may be to heavy for your hair and not getting it clean.
    Willow Moon
    3a, thin, fine, porous
    Tresemme Radiant Volume for Co-Wash
    Suave Mango Mandarin for Co-Wash
    Rosehip Seed Oil 5 drops after Co-Wash
    White Rain Hair Spray when hair is damp/dry
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, knowing more about the products you're using AND about your hair will help with troubleshooting.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file