Need Advice for Over Thinned Hair

naturalblondie88naturalblondie88 Posts: 105Registered Users
I have had a terrible time with my hair since June 2010. I didn't have time for a cut, so I went to my salon that day and had it thinned, and the result was devastating. I ended up cutting about 2-3 inches off a month later bc I could get my hair to hold a curly style or stay straight. I hated the short hair cut on me, so I've been letting it grow out since August and it's finally gotten to my shoulder again. But unfortunately, I guess I didn't learn my lesson about the thinning, and I went by to get it done the other day since I didn't want to get any length cut and my hair was getting tangled bad, and came home devastated again. I have about an inch and a half in the back and my hair is so thin and stringy that it just hangs by my face when straight. Curly, I get the dreaded triangle style! Any curly girls have some advice, other than getting it trimmed, since there really isn't much there to be trimmed and I've waited so long for the length I do have! I tried a curly style today to give my hair a break from the flat iron, and my curls are pretty dry and frizzy looking. Also, I take Biotin twice a day to encourage healthy hair and growth, if that helps!
Mostly 2c
Medium Width, Low Porosity (unsure), and Med-High Density
Frizz is a huge problem for me

Routine currently undergoing maintenance.
Low-Poo: PM Wild Ginger Awapuhi
CO/RO: SN Coconut
LI: GR Sleek & Shine
Mousse: HETT
Gel: HE Set Me Up
Pomade: BedHead Manipulator
DT: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Hair Likes: moisture, pineappling, scrunching
Hair Dislikes: raking product in, glycerin

Comments

• crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have had a terrible time with my hair since June 2010. I didn't have time for a cut, so I went to my salon that day and had it thinned, and the result was devastating. I ended up cutting about 2-3 inches off a month later bc I could get my hair to hold a curly style or stay straight. I hated the short hair cut on me, so I've been letting it grow out since August and it's finally gotten to my shoulder again. But unfortunately, I guess I didn't learn my lesson about the thinning, and I went by to get it done the other day since I didn't want to get any length cut and my hair was getting tangled bad, and came home devastated again. I have about an inch and a half in the back and my hair is so thin and stringy that it just hangs by my face when straight. Curly, I get the dreaded triangle style! Any curly girls have some advice, other than getting it trimmed, since there really isn't much there to be trimmed and I've waited so long for the length I do have! I tried a curly style today to give my hair a break from the flat iron, and my curls are pretty dry and frizzy looking. Also, I take Biotin twice a day to encourage healthy hair and growth, if that helps!

I guess I don't understand how you didn't have time for a haircut, so you had your hair thinned at a salon...To me, that would take just as much time, with worse results.

My suggestion is to just be patient and wait until your hair grows back.
    Clips, pins, headbands ,and patience.

If you are flatironing regularly, it will take your hair quite awhile and lots of conditioning treatments to
    get back in shape.

Put away the flatiron and the scissors !
  • naturalblondie88naturalblondie88 Posts: 105Registered Users
    crwritt wrote: »
    I guess I don't understand how you didn't have time for a haircut, so you had your hair thinned at a salon...To me, that would take just as much time, with worse results.

If you are flatironing regularly, it will take your hair quite awhile and lots of conditioning treatments to
    get back in shape.

Well, really the problem with the time issue is that the stylist I switched to doesn't work two of the days I have off from school (Mon and Wed), Tues and Thurs I'm at school until 5 so she's always gone, and that leaves Fri and Sat which are half days that are always booked for here, and everytime I've previously made appointments for cuts, she has to call and cancel on me. So Friday I just went by and I asked her to thin it a little bit for me until I could get in with her for a cut, and she got to talking and the next thing I knew, my hair was gone! I know I should change stylists/salons, but my dad owns this one and he won't let me change bc he says it will make the salon look bad. So my hair is suffering bc the stylists there never work and when they do they sit you down in the chair and cut your hair in 10 min or less.

Luckily I can just throw it up in a baseball hat for now (college days!) and try to be patient and I'm resolving to stay away from the stylist's chair for the next three months, if possible!! Thanks for the support!
    Mostly 2c
    Medium Width, Low Porosity (unsure), and Med-High Density
    Frizz is a huge problem for me

Routine currently undergoing maintenance.
    Low-Poo: PM Wild Ginger Awapuhi
    CO/RO: SN Coconut
    LI: GR Sleek & Shine
    Mousse: HETT
    Gel: HE Set Me Up
    Pomade: BedHead Manipulator
    DT: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Hair Likes: moisture, pineappling, scrunching
    Hair Dislikes: raking product in, glycerin
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    crwritt wrote: »

get back in shape.

Well, really the problem with the time issue is that the stylist I switched to doesn't work two of the days I have off from school (Mon and Wed), Tues and Thurs I'm at school until 5 so she's always gone, and that leaves Fri and Sat which are half days that are always booked for here, and everytime I've previously made appointments for cuts, she has to call and cancel on me. So Friday I just went by and I asked her to thin it a little bit for me until I could get in with her for a cut, and she got to talking and the next thing I knew, my hair was gone! I know I should change stylists/salons, but my dad owns this one and he won't let me change bc he says it will make the salon look bad. So my hair is suffering bc the stylists there never work and when they do they sit you down in the chair and cut your hair in 10 min or less.

Luckily I can just throw it up in a baseball hat for now (college days!) and try to be patient and I'm resolving to stay away from the stylist's chair for the next three months, if possible!! Thanks for the support!

I'd change my hairstylist anyway, its not you making the salon look bad, it sounds like the stylists do a fine job of making it bad all on their own.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file