"Straight hair makes you look younger"

eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So we're in the middle of a big storm here. Because of that I decided to straighten my hair last night and sleep on it so I'd have time in the morning to dig myself out. At work my boss said "You did your hair today!" Like I don't "do" my hair every day?! Then he said "you look soooooo much younger with it straight, like you're in your twenties."

WTF?! I know he means that as a compliment but now I just feel crappy! So what, the next time I wear it curly I'm going to look old and what - haggard? Thanks, thanks a lot. :banghead:
< member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]

Comments

• UndefinedCurlsUndefinedCurls Posts: 59Registered Users
    I've been told that I look prettier when I straighten my hair. Many of my friends have asked me to do this cause I always have my curlie hair in a bun. I disagree with your boss, you have LOVELY curls. I clicked on your blog and you look amazing and so does your art! :)
    Coarse, Low Porosity, Low Density
    On a search for my HGs :)
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been told that I look prettier when I straighten my hair. Many of my friends have asked me to do this cause I always have my curlie hair in a bun. I disagree with your boss, you have LOVELY curls. I clicked on your blog and you look amazing and so does your art! :)

Oh thank you, UndefinedCurls! I IM'd my DH and he said that 1) I should ignore him and 2) when men say "fixed" they mean different.

I wish I didn't let what other people say bother me. On one level I really like me and my hair but I guess on another level I'm not as mature as I thought.

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • shannonathenashannonathena Posts: 12Registered Users
    Never have I heard that straight hair makes you look younger. In fact, quite the opposite. I've had plenty of people tell me that straight hair makes me look older! I think curly hair softens your features and makes you look younger, not the other way around.

3b
    medium texture, high porosity
    fan of GFTN and krystal ecostyler
  • lesliegonnacurllesliegonnacurl Posts: 478Registered Users
    Unfortunately, my best friend told me I looked mid thirties (I am 28) with my curly hair!

I probably do look younger when my hair is straight :(

I think I would look just fine curly if I had longer curls and dropped some weight.
    Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

Officially Transitioning since March 2011.
    Last Relaxer September 2010

Got some kind of curly bangs going here! And I think my bangs are all natural!

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell! :blob4:
  • proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Posts: 478Registered Users
    Never have I heard that straight hair makes you look younger. In fact, quite the opposite. I've had plenty of people tell me that straight hair makes me look older! I think curly hair softens your features and makes you look younger, not the other way around.

:sunny: +1.
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • CitznMagCitznMag Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with a previous poster that said: when men say "fixed" they mean "different". I venture to think, had it been in reverse, where you always kept your hair straight and came in with it curly, he would have made the same comment. No matter which way you choose to style your hair, chin up and rock your locks!
    3b&c mix, CO (most of the time)
  • strssmnkystrssmnky Posts: 51Registered Users
    I think that when I used to straighten my hair that I looked older and maybe a little bit haggard. My features definately looked harsher. Curly hair or even wavy hair can softly frame the face making even not very pretty girls look prettier in my opinion. That's how I feel about myself anyway. I look like a completely different person with my curly hair than when it was straight and I didn't used to feel good about my looks. Now, if my hair would look the same at least twice a week I'd really be happy. :-?
    3a/3b, iii, medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    CG since 1/1/2011

Co-wash - Suave Naturals
    RO/LI- GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR, KCKT, TIGI Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey Conditioner, Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner
    DT - Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix Moisturizing Conditioner, AOHR, KCKT
    Styling -CJCCCC, HETT, Biotera Styling Gel, AVG, Boots Curl Cream, Eco Styler
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with those who think curly hair makes us look more youthful. Straight hair elongates the face, imo.

I know what you mean about comments smarting, eche. I went to the powder room and cried when a boss I didn't even like commented on me having some greys a few years ago. Guess who went for color right after work? This insecure dork, that's who.

It's easier said than done, but try to ignore him. Men get it wrong sometimes (I'm being diplomatic).
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks everyone!

I went in to work curly this morning and my boss said not one word. I'm very glad for that but of course I was thinking "yes, Ned, I'm wearing my old hair today."

:(

• theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I always the the reverse reaction from people. when my hair is straight, i look older or closer to my actual age, when its curly i'm told i look younger.
  • velvet1velvet1 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I actually look younger with straight hair. My curly hair automatically makes my face older and not fresh. With straight hair, I look so much younger. Its really weird and I always get compliments with straight hair but hardly with curly hair.
  • anneleisaanneleisa Posts: 10Registered Users
  • slivolaslivola Posts: 372Registered Users
    You look really youthful, so I don't understand that comment at all! I think sometimes people are just reacting to the major change of going from curly to straight or straight to curly.

I've met a few people for the first time with my hair straight and when they saw me again with my curls, they said I looked younger, more vibrant, etc. But I've also had the opposite happen. I think it's human nature to get excited with change and have a strong reaction to it one way or another. I think the reality of hair making someone look younger/older or thinner/heavier has a lot to do with the haircut- how the hair frames the face- and also one's facial features. I have many curly friends and almost all of them look much better with their natural curls (the exception is a wavy friend who I think looks better with straight simply her hair looks too thin and kind of stringy when wavy). My face looks very angular with straight hair so 10 years ago people said it made me look "thinner" or "very chic" but now it apparently makes me look "older" or "tired" or "too thin" (amazing what people have the guts to say to others- it's not like I ever asked for their opinion!) I guess it all translates differently when you hit 40! So I'll stick to my natural curls!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Fine texture/Normal porosity/Medium density
    Low Poo
    (Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
    Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish
  • GirlWithUkuleleGirlWithUkulele Posts: 150Registered Users
    Well, when I wore my hair straight a week ago, I looked like my eighth grade self. (My hair doesn't even stay straight, so by the end of the day it was puffy like back in grade eight). Does that count as younger?
    Victoria, Keeper of the Celestial Charts and Protector of the Aquamarine Diadem in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

3a/b; low porosity; dense; medium thickness. Growing out a weird haircut.
    Cleanse: As I Am Curl Cowash; Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo
    Condition:Tresemme Naturals
    LI:KCKT; CHS LI
    Stylers: AG Re:Coil; CJCCCCL; KCCC; AG Mousse Gel; HESMU;
    Denman Brush.

Treatments:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion; Aphogee PT
  • sleepyjesssleepyjess Posts: 297Registered Users
    People seem to often mistake me for a 14 or 15-year-old (I'm a few months away from being 19). It doesn't really bother me, since I'm sure it'll come in handy when I'm older, but one weekend a couple of months ago I went camping with some friends and straightened my hair so I wouldn't have to deal with it all that much, and a man in his late 20's from the next campsite over started hitting on a friend and I because he thought we were 25.

I think curls are generally regarded as more little-girl-youthful, but straight hair may be seen as trendier right now, so that might be what your boss was really meaning to convey.
    Oregon curly!
    Fine hair; weighed down easily; high porosity; prone to flyaways & The Bedhead Look
    2b? (or not 2b? Heehee.)
    Mod-CG since Nov '10
    Cowash: VO5 Calming Chamomile
    RO: Desert Essences Coconut
    Gel: Pantene Curls Gel, LALSG
    http://public.fotki.com/sleepyjess/ (updated: 5.28.11)

"She may be afraid of trees. But when push comes to shove, she won't let you drink the shampoo. No matter how good it smells."

:faroah:Visit me! http://nakedsquid.blogspot.com
  • VictoriaMVictoriaM Posts: 53Registered Users
    Really? I get the opposite. When I straighten my hair people say I look my age. When I have curly hair people mistake me for a 14-16 year old girl. People tell me my curls make me look so young and innocent.
  • KF<3KF<3 Posts: 25Registered Users
    Pack of lies. PACK OF LIES!

People think I'm 12 years old with curly hair!

- Signed a frustrated 19 year old
    dssd-1-1.png?t=1284218132
  • anonymous_70323anonymous_70323 Posts: 94Registered Users
    delete account

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file